Thread: Wood Sculptures

Wood Sculptures

How do you suppose the artist did these? Was just looking at them in person, and they are big, like 4-6" wide ribbons of wood, 4-6 feet x 2-3' or more overall.

http://obx-arts.com/fine/wood.htm

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

They don't say how thick they are, but they could provide me with money for some more planes!

The description indicates she is using steam bending for her oak sculptures. It's hard to see from the pictures because they are so small, but I suspect that the thickness is between 1/8" and 1/4" or so. Joe, does that sound right given you've viewed them up close and personal?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They were between 1/4" and 3/8", I'd say. Even knowing about the steam bending, seems like it would be hard to finish them after bent. Looking at them up close I was trying to figure out how to spray them without a lot of drips with all those angles. Maybe they are hand rubbed. It looked like a deep clear satin finish. I didn't dare touch them.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

I can appreciate just about anything made from wood. But, I'm just not digging those pieces. To each his own, I guess.

Joe,

I met that Lady(or someone that does that exact same work) at an Art show and talked with her about her work. She told me she has someone that saws these ribbons from 1/16-1/4" thick and up to 16' long. She steams them and then has to work quickly to finish before the wood cools off and starts drying. They are very impressive in person. The photos do not do them justice.

If you liked her work check this guy out. http://www.huntclark.com/

Earl
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.

Thanks for the link, I love that work too. You are right, they are more impressive in person, especially the scale of them, so big. You'd need a huge wall to display them.

Sammamish, WA