Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Locust Burl HollowForm (pics)

Black Locust Burl HollowForm (pics)

This burl came from an undisclosed roadside right of way in Westchester County NY. I looked at the stump that it was left on for 2 winters (it disappeared into the foliage in the summer). Spring a year ago, I brought my chainsaw into NY City with me and "liberated" the burl.
    The wood was SO nice, that I went back another time and cut closer to the bone, to get the last little bits for a pen turning friend.
    I'm sure it's black Locust because when I went back, there was a new sprout, CLEARLY BL.
    I turned one larger piece, and sold the bowl right away... I am selling (I hope) at the same show, this weekend. I am hoping that the customer wants another piece of this VERY rare wood.

You may notice the inset neck... I wanted to try something a little different, and this is what I came up with.

Diameter: 6 1/2 inches
    Height: 4 1/4 inches
    Finish: Oil sanded to 600
    Questions, Comments and Critique Welcome
    And I CAN handle the truth!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George Guadiane; 07-27-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Very nice George-awesome wood and the shape really did it justice.!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Beautiful work George, wonderful display of some great wood. The neck is really interesting and creative, I like it a lot! If I had to pick on something, I would have preferred something a little 'plainer' on the foot. Maybe a single ring or even just a small concave. Just a personal preference and I'm still one of the new guys around here so take it with a grain of salt. What you've done there is way beyond my skill level!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. Smith View Post
    Beautiful work George, wonderful display of some great wood. The neck is really interesting and creative, I like it a lot! If I had to pick on something, I would have preferred something a little 'plainer' on the foot. Maybe a single ring or even just a small concave. Just a personal preference and I'm still one of the new guys around here so take it with a grain of salt. What you've done there is way beyond my skill level!
    See, THAT is really funny...
    I used to do plainer feet (I liked them better myself), but I got an award at our last "Totally Turning Symposium," and the one "negative" comment that Beth Ireland (one of the judges) was said to have made is that the foot was too plain (it was a segmented piece). I had also heard Stewart Beatty and a couple of other demonstrators talk about that "nice little surprise" of a fancier foot when someone picks up your work and examines the bottom, so I tried this instead.
    I have become comfortable with it for now.
    A good friend and expert turner I know just has a cupped bottom, I don't think he even sands or finishes the bottom, just a clean cutoff. And he sells LOTS of turnings. So, like you saids, it's just another grain of salt in the shaker, but it still adds flavor! I appreciate your input. I would have agreed with you 6 months ago, and may see things that way again.

I like all of it George, great shape, foot, inside collar, finish . spot on work keep it up
    John 3:16

Great looking hollow form George! Beautiful wood, form and finish! I also like the detail work on the foot. It's simple and doesn't subtract from the form or the burl. Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    George that is a top shelf piece. I haven't decided on bottom treatments yet tend to make what ever strikes me at the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    See, THAT is really funny...
    I used to do plainer feet (I liked them better myself), but I got an award at our last "Totally Turning Symposium," and the one "negative" comment that Beth Ireland (one of the judges) was said to have made is that the foot was too plain (it was a segmented piece). I had also heard Stewart Beatty and a couple of other demonstrators talk about that "nice little surprise" of a fancier foot when someone picks up your work and examines the bottom, so I tried this instead.
    I have become comfortable with it for now.
    A good friend and expert turner I know just has a cupped bottom, I don't think he even sands or finishes the bottom, just a clean cutoff. And he sells LOTS of turnings. So, like you saids, it's just another grain of salt in the shaker, but it still adds flavor! I appreciate your input. I would have agreed with you 6 months ago, and may see things that way again.
    This is one of those really subjective things. My problem is I'm an absolute wood junkie. When you guys that have the skill get hold of some of these great pieces of wood I would be just as happy if you turned a perfect sphere and put it on a turntable!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. Smith View Post
    This is one of those really subjective things. My problem is I'm an absolute wood junkie. When you guys that have the skill get hold of some of these great pieces of wood I would be just as happy if you turned a perfect sphere and put it on a turntable!
    Thanks Everyone,
    Mike,
    That's why I make so many hollow forms, the wood is usually pretty on ALL sides, so I try to get as much of the surface to show as I can.
    If slabs of beautiful wood would sell, I whould probably just cut and finish them myself
    Last edited by George Guadiane; 07-27-2007 at 5:04 PM.

George I like it. I also like the foot. I like mine to be decorative. I was told in a e-mail from Cindy Drozda that you want to make a foot that will catch someones eye because the first thing they look at is the bottom.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

George I think you've got a nice piece here. I like the way you inset the top... it's just enough to add some mystery to an already wonderful piece. I like Southwestern forms, and this seems like one to me. Rare piece of wood, and you've done it justice. Well Done.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

George, that's a good looking hollow form! I like the foot also.

Exclamation

Very nice Mr.George!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have wood, will turn!!

That's a nice looking hollowform. I personally like the foot or any other type of enhancements that add a little interest to the piece without overwelming the beauty in the wood. I really like the inset opening. It's something I haven't seen before. And it's a very nice piece of wood.

Black Locust is one of my favorite woods to turn. When dry it is very hard and it takes a long time to get to finished size. But BL finishes so well and a thin wall bowl still has some "heft" to it. I really like making finger tops from BL. I have not found a burl yet but after seeing this piece I will double my efforts. Well done.

Terry