Thread: g0513x2 or g0514x???

g0513x2 or g0514x???

Solution would be the 514x2 however not willing to spend that much.

Cast trunnions would be nice but so would the larger table, more capacity, weight and power of the 514. I plan on sawing some logs with it.

What do you think? Opinions of any current owners would be great.

Hi Noah,

I'm not a current owner but I am looking like you. Some of the questions I have been asking myself are: is 12" of resaw height enough? will the trunnions bend if I place a large log off center on the table? how much horsepower do I need? etc, etc... I do know that the g0514x2 will not be available until November so I have ruled that one out. I wonder if the trunnions from it will retrofit the g0514x? You may be able to do that and only be missing the foot brake, which was discussed somewhere on a forum as a home made add on. I've been leaning towards the g0636x or a MM16 for the added resaw height. I may not cut things that tall but it gives me the opportunity to use a log sled and not worry about the loss in height. Good Luck.

Terry

3. Noah and Terry - I can answer some of your questions and concerns since I know these saws intimately and am the person responsible for most of the upgrades on them.

Logs come in all shapes and sizes and put a lot of stress on bandsaw tables. One of the VERY important improvements done to the G0514X2 is the handwheel/geared arm table tilt mechanism. Besides being an absolute joy to tilt your tables without requiring three hands, this table locks down with the "grip of death".

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0566/images/1

The locking lever is the handle you see under the table and just above the motor on the left. It is a quick release/lock of the table.

What this geared table tilting system does is that it also gives the table an extra support on the other side of the table. Cast iron trunnions on one side and the geared arm on the other. At the show, we would have big guys (show attendees) try to rock the table with all their might once the geared arm was locked down, and they were astonished at how inflexible the table was. One guy even joked that an elephant could sit on that table! This feature is standard on the new G0636X. More importantly, this feature has been standard on our G0566 21" bandsaw since we introduced it.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0566

We are going to make the cast iron trunnions available as an upgrade to people with existing G0513 and G0514 saws in the near future, but if you are looking for a powerful resaw bandsaw right now, the machine that is in stock is the 21" G0566 with 14" of resaw capacity.

Hi Shiraz,
    Does the G0513X2 have the same table support assembly as the G0514X2? I notice that it is upgraded to cast iron trunion but was not obvious if it had the geared support arm as well.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Carl Oresick View Post
    Hi Shiraz,
    Does the G0513X2 have the same table support assembly as the G0514X2? I notice that it is upgraded to cast iron trunion but was not obvious if it had the geared support arm as well.
    Carl - the G0513 series will not have the geared table tilt/support system. The whole saw frame needs to be modified to have that kind of a geared system and the cost involved does not justify it since we have so many choices if you are going to spend more money.
    Also, existing G0514 models cannot be converted to accept the geared table tilting mechanism.

Thank you for the replies and information.

I will be patient and wait to order the G0514X2.

After reading all these threads and thinking about it, I feel the features combined with the price make it the best choice for me. I think the 12" of resaw capacity will be enough.

I don't have the space or equipment to deal with anything much larger and it seems to me I could always "square" a log that would be too big otherwise. Frankly, the desire to cut up logs is mostly for the fun of it. Probably not very practical.

I like to support my local sawmill too as I know the owner and he has very fair prices for lumber or sawing logs.

Terry, let us know what you get and how you like it.

Mr. Balolia, thanks for the reply. As others have said, I think your willingness to post on these forums reflects well on your company. It also creates a "comfort level" for those of us who do not live close enough for it to be practical to go to a grizzly retail location to look at and pick up machinery.

Noah

Shiraz.. I was at the recent Vegas show and its is very comforting to see the owner of a very succesfull tool manufacturer on the floor answering questions of the buying public. It speaks volumes about your personal integrity and the quality of your machinery.I own a GO 513 bandsaw and it has exceeded my expectations.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    We are going to make the cast iron trunnions available as an upgrade to people with existing G0513 and G0514 saws in the near future, but if you are looking for a powerful resaw bandsaw right now, the machine that is in stock is the 21" G0566 with 14" of resaw capacity.
    I hate to bring up an old thread, but does anyone know if this upgrade has been made availible? Any installed it? I was in Muncy yesterday comparing the 0514X (which I own) versus the 0514X2. The tilt mechanism is SWEET!

Well, I ordered the G0514x2 this morning and am pretty excited. Spent the most time yet debating and researching this tool purchase. Kind of a relief, as this will probably be my last power tool purchase for a while.

I got a small 12v electric winch with it for free to tinker around with. Might have a use for it elk hunting next november.

My brother takes good photo's. Will post some when it arrives. If you want to see photo's of other areas, let me know.

I won't get a chance to fire it up for a while as I need to do some rewiring.

Noah

Will be waiting a little longer because they are out of stock and expect the next shipment in January.
    Last edited by Noah Vig; 11-28-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Carl,
    The G513X2 table tilt mechanism works fine for me..... but doesn't hold up big old beer bellies at trade shows.
    Unless you wanted to tilt the table with a hefty slab or log (or your big beer belly if ya have one) on it, I'd say it's just fine.
    I find it funny the number of people always wanting bigger-beffier tools & tool parts or beating the Pacific Rim tools down b/c thet aren't like the old "arn", but many are asking what the value of the CI trunnions are?
    The 12" resaw is fine for me as my tailed jointer is 8"... so unless I like face jointing by hand (which I do in small doses, not 100 board feet at a time per say) I don't resaw too many boards in the 12" range. Anything over 12" resaw, I'd want another pony "under the hood" anyway.

Cheers.
    Greg