Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog 0 Skunk 1

Dog 0 Skunk 1

I just hate it when that happens Any one want to take care of a really nice, but smelly, dog for a few days
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Wash the dog with vinegar or tomato juice

The acid in either of these will greatly reduce the odor.
    Good Luck,
    Merle
    Thanks,
    Merle

It must be the season. Our crippled old worn out 14 year old Golden Retriever stepped outside for 'last call' the other night, was only out there for a minute or two, and got it full on in the face. Crazy thing about it was my wife didn't smell it so she let him in the house and he immediately started rubbing his face on the carpet. The stench brought me out of a deep sleep but my wife still couldn't smell it. We read on the internet that when the smell is so overwelming some people's brain can't handle the rush and it just shuts down their olfactory system. Anyway to make a long story short we've been through the tomato juice, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, simple green and are waiting for some stuff we ordered online called SCOE 10X. But I have a feeling we'll be replacing carpet.

Don't laugh, but our dog friends who have been through this swear by the powdered douche mixed into a paste. Now they used it for the animal and not the carpet, but it might work. Let it dry, vacuum as much as possible, then steam clean thoroughly. The funny story is that the guys in the family were out camping, the dog got sprayed. Call to wife on cell phone told him what to go to town and buy. So here is a guy going through the all night drug stores buying up all the powdered douche mix!! Said he got lots of weird looks. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Use woolite. As a long time trapper I could guarantee getting some musk at least once a week. Wash the clothes and shower in it and the odor is gone.

Skunk spray remover

1 qt 3% hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 c baking soda
    1-2 tsp liquid dish soap

Mix in open container, allow the solution to remain on hair (or fur in this case) for 5 minutes, then rinse with water.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lawler View Post
    Skunk spray remover

1/4 c baking soda
    1-2 tsp liquid dish soap

Mix in open container, allow the solution to remain on hair (or fur in this case) for 5 minutes, then rinse with water.

HTH
    Mike,
    Your formula has been the one touted to work by the pest control sites.
    I have a suspicious odor coming from one of my out buildings and am trying to work up the courage to set my raccoon trap. I have done the research on the net and think that putting a plastic cover over the cage may help protect me if I catch the stinker. Wish me luck.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    ...think that putting a plastic cover over the cage may help protect me if I catch the stinker....
    We had skunks living in the crawlspace of a nearby vacant house several years ago. Dont recall who told me this, but apparently they wont spray while in the live-trap unless it's a really tall one. Something to do with how high they need to raise up their hindquarters to spray you, or something like that. Anyway - we caught 3 in live traps and released them at a state park. Dont know if the info is accurate, but I'm batting 3 for 3 without getting nuked.
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks for the input guys ! I ended up taking him for a long swim in the sound this morning, now he smells like old tennis shoes and dead fish Believe it or not, that is an improvement Now, like Curt's dog I can deal with the carpet, luckily only a 7X9 rug.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    We had skunks living in the crawlspace of a nearby vacant house several years ago. Dont recall who told me this, but apparently they wont spray while in the live-trap unless it's a really tall one. Something to do with how high they need to raise up their hindquarters to spray you, or something like that. Anyway - we caught 3 in live traps and released them at a state park. Dont know if the info is accurate, but I'm batting 3 for 3 without getting nuked.
    Doug,
    Thanks for the idea of using the smaller cage. I have a smaller cage than the raccoon trap and will give that a try. The small trap is for cat sized critters and a skunk should fit in it just fine and not be able to raise its tail. I will still use a plastic covering just in case. I got some spray on me when I was a kid and the memory lingers on long after the smell goes away.
    David B

[quote=David G Baker;626075]Mike,
    I have a suspicious odor coming from one of my out buildings and am trying to work up the courage to set my raccoon trap.
    David; just be sure to set your trap for the racoon on something off the ground or floor. The racoon will climb up to it. A skunk won't climb, they'll walk up stairs but they won't climb to get up to it. DAMHIKT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Mike,
    I have a 4x6 inch pressure treated lumber "T" set in the ground with 2 eye bolts screwed into the top of the "T" and forced through the bottom of the cage wire and an aluminum rod slid through the eye bolts and cage edges. This is the only way I have been able to keep the captured raccoons from destroying things and hurting themselves. I have caught over 20 raccoons in the past few years. Caught a family of eight in the past 12 days. They sure love shelled corn and black sunflower seeds.
    Now when it comes to skunks I am a green horn and I thank you for the advice. It is my plan to set the trap at floor level near an opening in the building and baiting the trap with cat food or canned tuna.
    I did not know that skunks wouldn't climb but had never heard about them in trees so I made that assumption. I have a lot of opossum but none have been caught in the raccoon cage. As far as I know they haven't caused any problems at my place. If they do, I will learn how to trap them too.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lawler View Post
    Skunk spray remover

1/4 c baking soda
    1-2 tsp liquid dish soap

HTH
    I have used this recipe with success as well as the Tomato juice method. I have read about the Douche and it works as well.

Been there Done that Twice, Not fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Mike,
    I have a suspicious odor coming from one of my out buildings and am trying to work up the courage to set my raccoon trap. I have done the research on the net and think that putting a plastic cover over the cage may help protect me if I catch the stinker. Wish me luck.
    The formula is reputed to be the best there is by the PA Game Commission. As far as trapping skunks, we had some under a factory building and we hired a local trapper to remove them. He use havahart traps, I forget what he used for bait. When he trapped a skunk, he would cover the trap with an old blanet and then pick up the blanket, trap and skunk, put it in the back of his truck and leave. He said they won't spray unless provoked. Note that in PA it is illegal to trap and transfer skunks! They have to be killed due to the likely hood of rabies.

Skunks can spray without raising their tails, they just get better aim with the tail up. They also don't need their feet on the ground to do it. DAMHIKT. Its a long but funny story.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, I would like to hear your funny story. Speaking of funny stories: I work at an airport and one day a Coast Guard helicopter reported a dead skunk laying on one of the runways. They told the tower, the tower told operations and operations sent Pat and John out to remove the skunk. Pat, who is a large man, got out of he vehicle and went over and picked up the skunk. Now, apparently, sleeping skunks don't like to be picked up from behind because this skunk let Pat have it in the face. Pat, being sprayed in the face by a skunk, dropped the skunk and turned to run. When he turned he broke his ankle. So, now we have three ambulance attendants trying to load a 360 pound, skunk shot human into an ambulance. I heard the helicopter was bouncing around the sky. Wish I had it on video.