Thread: Hello from a new user (who needs a bit of help).

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.

Hello from a new user (who needs a bit of help).

Many thanks to all of you experts for all the wonderful help found on this site. Because of your input I have recently purchased a used Epilog Legend 24, 30 watt. Cindy and I have been merrily burning bits of wood, stone, and glass. I have run into a software challenge, which I am sure is simple as pie to solve, but I am an old dog learning new tricks so I need your help. Photograv wants .bmp files, and Corel makes .crd files. How do I change the .crd into a .bmp? I got all the software with the machine so it is a bit old Corel 9 and Photograv 2.11.
    My real job is in stained glass, so if you have any glass related questions I would be delighted to be of any help I can.

Welcome Tom. I too do stained glass, though as more of a hobby, with some income from it.

As for the files, any version of Corel Draw will allow you to export the file as a .bmp.

After saving, just click File, Export, change the type to Windows .bmp, name it, and click OK.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    THANK YOU! I knew it had to be simple, now we are going to have some more fun burning things.

Tom! Just remember to export it as a 8 bit grayscale .bmp at 300 or 600 dpi.. I usually just use 300 and then burn at 600 if needed..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Tom! Just remember to export it as a 8 bit grayscale .bmp at 300 or 600 dpi.. I usually just use 300 and then burn at 600 if needed..
    And also export at the size you need it to be - you can't resize the output from PhotoGrav and get good results. They say you can't edit them either but I have had good luck with that - maybe the "don't resize" part isn't accurate either? Anyone try it?

Gary

I agree with the don't resize - tried it - made some scrap...

I edit the images all the time. Not sure if I just didn't get it right in the initial conversion or if I'm just too picky. I like to clean up the letters and sometimes add shadows with the copy tool... Otherwise, I burn them as you said 300dpi convert and 600dpi burn...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

I edit the all the time, it's just that if you resize a binary file with that type of detail it will go all to hell on you..
    The familiar photograv samples below show what happens
    The first is the greyscale file (it's .jpg just for here), and then again reduced to 94% after conversion,
    What I would like to try, is sometimes for glass, the photograve conversion on a 'small' photo was great, but a binary image can be a bit harsh and you don't get good results on a small portrates into glass.. I will try this when I get some free time.. Thats convert the processed photograv Engraving file to a gray scale, then engrave it at 70% black to see if a smaller picture will look better in glass.. (you can right click the 70% and use the line colour to change the overall colour of a bitmap).. When engraving, you 'should' get a combination of the more uniform etching of the 70% halftone reproducing the general pixel pattern of the previous binary picture.. This 'may' allow a better tiny image on glass
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it