Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3d Laser Engraving

1. 3D contour of plane wing?

I know this thread is old, but I figured it was the most appropriate place to ask. Can anyone provide any insight, knowledge, education, or a simple link to examples on how I could use my epilog zing 40w to cut and raster an airplace wing in 3d?

I would like to put Styrofoam in the machine and have it shape the top of the wing.

Thanks
    Zach

Blog Entries
    To get the accuracy you'll need for an airfoil surface, you'll need to do a lot of experimenting with power. I suggest a CNC for such an operation as it will be precise on depth at every point and not subject to material differences.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I think it can be done, but Dan is right, you'd need to experiment and the material density might be variable.

You can take a trial and error approach or you can be scientific about it and make a greyscale, raster it in 3d in the material you plan on using, take depth measurements with a caliper and plot those measurements on the wing diagram.

IMHO 3d lasering is seriously underutilized and underestimated. Excellent results are possible.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    To get the accuracy you'll need for an airfoil surface, you'll need to do a lot of experimenting with power. I suggest a CNC for such an operation as it will be precise on depth at every point and not subject to material differences.
    What he said. I'm reminded of the "Dirty Jobs" episode where Mike Rowe worked in a surfboard factory.

I think the key words for this concept are "can" and "possible", rather than "good" or "easy". The possibilities that come to mind are:
    1. it will make a huge mess,
    2. it will take forever,
    3. it will do a really crappy job, or
    4. some horrific version of "all of the above".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Never stopped me from trying!
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

You will struggle with styrofoam as the laser will not raster it well at all you will have uncontrolled melting. Will cut it fine tho.
    Try it with Balsa , if you really must.
    Bear in mind that your 2" lens has about 4mm effective focus , so you really wont get a great variance in shape for an aerofoil unless its a very small one.
    You could of course make an excellent aerofoil or wing if you cut its sections from tip to end and glued em all together.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Try it with Balsa , if you really must.
    [snip]
    You could of course make an excellent aerofoil or wing if you cut its sections from tip to end and glued em all together.
    First use of a laser I ever saw "live" was cutting balsa ribs for a model sailplane wing.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I think the key words for this concept are "can" and "possible", rather than "good" or "easy". The possibilities that come to mind are:
    1. it will make a huge mess,
    2. it will take forever,
    3. it will do a really crappy job, or
    4. some horrific version of "all of the above".
    I think this one hit this discussion right bang slap in the middle!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender