Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big leaf maple vessel - disaster

Big leaf maple vessel - disaster

Way back from S. Jenkins' bbq I came back with a big leaf maple blank which I turned. I posted it a couple of months back when it was all finished except for a final coat of clear danish oil. I am going to repost that picture here.

Anyhow, after the posting of the almost finished product, while I was applying the final coat of oil, the durned thing slipped out of my hand and hit the concrete deck of the shop. It had been turned to 1/8", closer to 1/16" at the rim, and it shattered like a piece of glass. I got disgusted, set it on a shelf and just looked at it for the past couple of months. I just couldn't bring myself to trash the blasted piece.

I finally got this "brilliant" idea of reshaping most of the upper part of the vessel (the part that shattered) and making it look like a sort of natural edge bowl without the bark. SWMBO said she really likes it, I'm not so sure. I have posted the result here, was it worth the effort?

Wolf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Honestly, Wolf....I like the new version better. It's incredibly interesting to look at and the irregular shape of the rim kinda highlights the wonderful wood even more. The reason I say this is that the original version has a larger base than I feel is optimal. The shorter version with the wider opening removes that issue to my eyes and makes the whole shape more attractive. (Emphasis on "more" as the original turning was a very nice piece already)

Perhaps I need to start dropping some turnings in my own shop...hee hee
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-17-2004 at 10:11 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wolf, I like the "modified" one better too. With the wider mouth, it is certainly more functional (except for long stem flowers). If the two were sitting next to each, and I had $$ for one of them, I would pick the latter. Todd.

Wolf,

Back in my ceramics wheel-turning days a similar thing would happen with turned pots. The lip would get thin and then some flaw in the clay would grab your finger and BAM! you had suddenly peeled back part of rim. The edges were rough and the direction of the tear was random. People loved'em - thought they were Japanese or something.

Just goes to show that part of beauty is random.

Eliot

I'm with the rest of the guys, Wolf! That second one is a "keeper". It really does give the wood a more natural "feel" to it, if you will. Beautiful save!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wolf,
    I also like the "improved" version. It looks...for lack of a better word...softer.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Just goes to show ya Wolf, there are no mistakes, only oportunities.

I like the freeform edge on the second ver best also.

Wolf,

Like the others said it looks better broken Kinda gives it the natural edge look. I had a similar disaster a few weeks ago when a loud "bang" caused me to flinch and pull my hooked tool straight out thru a 3/4" hole. Needless to say the hole wasnt the same size after that.

What are the dimensions of that piece?
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

I like it. Very unique.
    Jim

Well now, ain't that interesting. I expected some people to like the "new" shape but I don't think I expected a 100 percent positive reaction.

As Ace said, apparently this truly was an opportunity instead of disaster.

For Bill:

The dimensions still are 5.5"h X 5"w. The high part of the bowl is still the original height because there was a short section of rim that did not shatter. I did, however, indent it.

BTW, thanks for looking and the responses.

Wolf

I read your text, as I scrolled through the 1st image I thought: OH...too bad. But then saw the 2nd and thought: OH! ...excellent. Unique.

As Eliot indicated, reminds me of a ceramic piece, and I agree with Glen - softens the design. -Steve

Wolf, I like the redesign better.
    Every deed plants a seed.

Wolf. I gotta agree with the others, The "Accidental" version gets my vote. The "before piece", while obviously a very well done piece doesn't have the one of a kind ,unique look that the "after" version has. Trust your wife on this one. It's a keeper. Nice work, both before and after.

I have to agree with the others here the Acident version is the keeper,

The second one actually looks like a relic now...as if someone found it in a chamber somewhere and polished it. Great work!!