Thread: Kreg system?

Kreg system?

Kreg has a $20 rebate on their "master" system.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...10&filter=kreg

Of course, Kreg has several pocket hole rigs and packages they market. They range in price from $39 and up to the master. At rockler for $139 - rebate $119.

I wonder, is that whole package really needed? Or, would I be best off getting a cheaper package because I would never use everything in the master pack?
    Last edited by Eric Gustafson; 07-13-2007 at 4:35 PM. Reason: typo

I have not done anything with Kreg tools yet, I do have the 20.00 single pocket hole jig though. I did buy the video for making a router table and the thing that I think all the other stuff give you is speed. You can do everything the guy in the video did with the single jig, but with the clamps and the fixtures your speed in making stuff increases dramtically.

Of course since the guy is very familiar with the jig I am sure some of that was just him doing his normal thing and me being impressed with his speed, I am sure for me it would take twice as long. I am sure someone who has the Kreg system will chime in.

Kreg System

My Kreg Master gets a workout. While my house was being constructed, I went to the cabinet shop (doing my kitchen for me) and saw their $700 Kreg pnuematic pocket screw machine. The worker there told me he can crank out 70 cabinet face frames in one shift.

That's why I bought the Kreg. Haven't used it a lot because my new shop is only partially completed, but I've used all the little fixtures, including one for attaching 2x6 stretchers to 4x4 legs with 2 3/4" pocket screws.

If you were only doing cabinets in 3/4 you could get by with a simpler assortment of Kreg stuff.

Gary Curtis

Wether or nto you'd use the whole system depends completely on what kind of stuff you do.

As I understand it, there's a full version and then like a "half" sort of version that can later be upgraded to the full version. This wasn't really possible with the previous system.

I have the older complete set (the new one came out a month after i bought it DOH!!!) and I can't say i use ALL of its pieces 100% of the time, but i DO make use of them and I'm very glad to have 'em when I do.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I ended up upgrading to the master system because it's so much better/faster for repetitive tasks. I still switch it out for the simple jig and clamp set for oddly located pocket screws. If you buy the cheaper one, like I did at first, you may soon wish you'd spent the extra dough for the master system.

I have the Kreg 2000, and 99 percent of the time I use the big jig but there are times when you need the others. I's go for it all!

Dan

I'd go for it all. The speed and simplicity of using the master jig will lead you to use pocket hole joints for things you might not even have thought of. The small individual jigs are handy for work that you can't bring to the master jig.

eric, i bought the entire set a few years ago and found that the only one that i used was the k2000. as long as you don't fasten it down to a piece of plywood, you can easily clamp it sideways on to anything you may need to pocket hole.

Read the "best tools" thread.....

Kreg gets Many votes....

Get the best. You will always find uses for it at the least expected times.

I have the older model, and it would definitely be on my best tool list.
    Bartee Lamar

I think the whole kit is the best value. You may not use the Rocket, for example, very often when you have the rest of the kit, but it certainly will come in handy from time to time in my experience!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with everything previously posted in this thread. I bought the master kit a couple of years ago when I was doing a project where pocket hole joinery was the best solution. I could have only purchase part of it, but I opted to get the whole deal, since as Jim said, it's the best value. To this day, I've figuratively kissed that sucker many times. I don't use it all that often, but when I do, it's great and exactly what I need.

If you can afford the whole deal, get it. You won't be sorry.
    J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios

Add me to the " If you can afford the whole deal, get it. You won't be sorry." group.

Add me as another proponent of buying the full package. I have had the K2000 Pro Pack for three years and am still amazed at how useful it is.
    Don

It seems I am always swimming against the tide of opinion on this board. I bought the $50 "Pocket Rocket" set or some name like that and I have never wished I had bought anything more elaborate. I would not have used it if I had bought it. What I do with pocket holes is fairly limited and is on a small scale. If the OP only wants to do what I do, then spending more money would be a waste. I am not just saying this because I am cheap. I spent $250 on a doweling jig a while back because I use that form of joinery a lot and it was worth it to me.