Thread: Dick's Texas Visit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dick's Texas Visit

It was a real pleasure last evening to get to meet Dick Strauss and see his work. We exchanged some wood told some stories shared some tips and Dick took beauty for a ride. I learned quite a bit from him and got some good pointers. He is a real great guy and I was privileged to see some of his beautiful work. Wish others could have had the experience as well but maybe another time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Chris

I just love the picture that you can see all your rounded blanks on shelves behind Dick. They really aren't the kind of thing that needs to be that close to the lathe but make a great backdrop for pictures in a Woodturner's shop.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Hospitality TEXAS style, you are to be commended Christopher, and my guess is Dick is one talented turner, and the look on his face tells me he is having the time of his life.
    John 3:16

Chris looks to me like Dick is having the time of his life on beauty. Sounds like a nice time was had by both of you.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You betcha...I was one real happy camper turning on beauty. I was gentle with her though. She is definitely prettier in person. She's just a little shy and doesn't have enough modeling experience yet to really show off her curves in pictures.

Needless to say, I was very impressed with the lathe build quality. It looks like Brent English builds his Robust lathes to include everything a turner could want at the quality level of a fine timepiece. Surprisingly enough, the lathe makes as much noise as a fine watch as it runs at full speed. Without a doubt, this is by far the smoothest and most stout lathe I have ever used.

It was great to meet Chris and share a few tips and stories. We shared some beautiful wood as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what he turns out of the wood I left with him and I'm sure he is anxious to see what I make from his wood as well. I have a feeling Chris and I are going to become good friends.

Thanks again Chris,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 07-13-2007 at 6:36 PM.

There is nothing like a Creeker visit. Fun to tale, etc. but it is really nice when you have the time to spin some wood together!! Looks like you guys had a great time. Now Chris, you have had Beauty awhile now and I think it's time to see some pics of what you have been turning on her
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

I guess Chris was using the me "Master" , you "Grasshopper" teaching method from the old Kung Fu series. Dick looks like he has his eyes closed in every picture! You just have to be good to turn that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    I guess Chris was using the me "Master" , you "Grasshopper" teaching method from the old Kung Fu series. Dick looks like he has his eyes closed in every picture! You just have to be good to turn that way!
    Actually, I kept hearing this still small voice saying "Luke...er...I mean Dick, the Force be with you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns View Post
    There is nothing like a Creeker visit. Fun to tale, etc. but it is really nice when you have the time to spin some wood together!! Looks like you guys had a great time. Now Chris, you have had Beauty awhile now and I think it's time to see some pics of what you have been turning on her
    Cut me some slack Guys, I can't even get Andy's project done much less turn some good stuff. Now I'm gone for three weeks. Any volunteers to keep her warm at night? (like that is an issue in Houston)

Robert,
    Now I know why Chris kept repeating the mantra "when you can snatch this bowl blank from my hand, you will be ready"

Oh sure!

Blame it on me.

Every one else does, too.
    Only the Blue Roads

Wished I could have made it by there. My work is going long these days. Looks like a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Kobilsek View Post
    Chris

I just love the picture that you can see all your rounded blanks on shelves behind Dick. They really aren't the kind of thing that needs to be that close to the lathe but make a great backdrop for pictures in a Woodturner's shop.

Frank
    Frank, only close due to limited space. Either that or I like the feel of a Wood Hug!!