Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Band Saw Query

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yet another Band Saw Query

I am looking to buy a band saw. I want to get something that is really well rounded, that I won't grow out of too quickly. I am not doing re sawing now, but may in the future. I also want something that can run with a thin blade for scrolling. I have heard the Ricon 14" Deluxe is getting GREAT reviews, but I thought the $750.00 price tag was too high for me. I am seeing some 14" Delta's on sale at clist for about $300.00. Am I looking for trouble? I was hoping to spend about $500 - $600 dollars on this purchase. As I said before, I don't have a problem buying the old stuff, however, I am not confident on my tool reconditioning skills. Will a one hp motor do the job, or should I go with a 1.5? Are there features I am loosing with an older band saw? Help!

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am a woodworking newbie so you may not value my opinion.

I recently purchased several new machines including a Craftsman Professional 14 in Band Saw. It is obviously made by Ricon with some minor differences. While I have not yet had an opportunity to use it a great deal, it has been a very satisfactory purchase. I looked at the operating manual at the store prior to purchase and compared it to the Ricon manaual available for download from Ricon's web site. the Craftsman model has a longer non standard blade size but additional blades are available from Timber Wolf.

If you choose this saw, I recommend letting Sears load it in your pickup to save delivery charge. Upon arriving home, open the box while still in the truck and remove the parts for the base. After assembling the base, the saw can be slid off the tail gate onto the base.

There are many positive reviews online at the Sears site for this saw and is currently priced at $469.00 thru July 14.

Just my opinion

James Ross

Quote Originally Posted by James Ross View Post

There are many positive reviews online at the Sears site for this saw and is currently priced at $469.00 thru July 14.
    We just got a flyer in the mail for Sears - if you use your Sears premiere charge next weekend, you get 10% off on everything storewide (except electronics) The catch is you need the flyer for the coupon.

Woodcraft is also having a 10% sale coming up, July 28th. Got a flyer with a scratch off for that one, too.

dan thomas Guest
    I'm quite new here as well. Greetings all. I just returned from a trip to my local Woodcraft store (200 miles away). I looked at the 14" Ricon. It is now on sale for 10% off, making it $675. Sale ends July 28th. I did not buy one I was somewhat disappointed in the table top finish. I'm eye-balling a "like new" 16" inch Jet for close to the same price and includes extras. It's 200 miles in the oppsite direction.

Blog Entries
    When I was considering the same thing, if you took the Jet 14", added a riser, and an aftermarket tension release lever, it became more expensive than the Rikon, yet still had less resaw, guide block instead of bearings, and smaller table.

So I got the Rikon and have been very happy with it.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Lambrigger View Post
    I don't have a problem buying the old stuff, however, I am not confident on my tool reconditioning skills.
    For what it's worth, I bought a used Walker Turner 16" bandsaw. To get it up and running, I needed to:
    • figure out how to disassemble the lower axle
    • reposition the lower wheel to align it with the upper wheel
    • clean and repack the bearings
    • buy new blades
    • put new pulleys on the wheel and motor to get the blade running at the manufacturer's recommended speed
    • shim the table to bring it fully into square
    • general cleaning of old dust and grease

I was able to do this even though my day job is being a pediatrician, and I had no mechanical experience or any prior experience rehabbing old machines.

And, I'd do it all over again if I had to. I just love my bandsaw. They don't make them like they used to.

A bandsaw is pretty simple in terms of parts and operation. If you are looking at an old Delta 14", I'd go for it. There are plenty of parts available for the old Deltas, if you need them.

As far as 1 vs. 1 1/2 hp motors go, there are so many other factors that go into how well a bandsaw performs besides horsepower that this issue is almost meaningless. My bandsaw has a 1/2 hp motor, and is doing fine for me so far.
    Last edited by Wilbur Pan; 07-12-2007 at 9:01 PM.

Also a newbie so take it for what it's worth. I went out and bought a ridgid band saw an hour from here. I brought it home set it up and was completely disappointed. So an hour drive back yesterday to return it. Today I pick up my new Rikon 14" deluxe. With the fuel and my time I would have been better off to buy the Rikon in the first place.

ID try to get bigger than a 1hp to start for resawing.
    Grizzly might be able to help you with your needs. There are good saws a 14" can take a 1/8 to 3/4 blade on the extreme version for 595.00 an its 1.5hp.
    I also like the Rikon,tabletop didnt bother me.Alot of good reviews on that saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    When I was considering the same thing, if you took the Jet 14", added a riser, and an aftermarket tension release lever, it became more expensive than the Rikon, yet still had less resaw, guide block instead of bearings, and smaller table.

So I got the Rikon and have been very happy with it.
    Another very happy Rikon 10-325 owner here.

Blog Entries
    If you're OK upgrading saws when you move into re-sawing, the Sears is a close cousin to the Rikon without the height. Not sure about the HP. From the owners who have posted here you will want to run the Rikon at 220v so that may influence you if you do not already have service.

I have a 110v 'almost' 1HP and it is inadequate for anything very thick or involving a lot of curves. I can do it; just VERY slowly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    If you're OK upgrading saws when you move into re-sawing, the Sears is a close cousin to the Rikon without the height. Not sure about the HP. From the owners who have posted here you will want to run the Rikon at 220v so that may influence you if you do not already have service.

I have a 110v 'almost' 1HP and it is inadequate for anything very thick or involving a lot of curves. I can do it; just VERY slowly.
    I have my Rikon on 110v 20 Amp dedicated circuit with no problems. It's the same circuit I run all my tools on (not at the same time of course). My DC is another dedicated circuit of the same volt and current.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

This link is for 14" steel frame bandsaws.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/up...AND%20SAWS.pdf

Since a bandsaw is a very important tool in any shop, i would make sure that I got a good one. If you decide to upgrade later on, the top tools are easier to unload.

I have a Delta 14" saw with all the upgrades, and it adds up $$$ fast.

Look at Shop Fox

I bought a 14" Shop Fox for about $570 with tax. It has served me well so far. It included the bearing guides for the blade, A fence, and cabinet under neast. 1 hp motor. You can run from 1/8" to 3/4" blades.

Happy Shopping ang good luck...

I really need spell check before posting

- Sorry for the typos...

Today is Woodcraft 10% sale, and free shipping tossed in to boot.*

"Dear Woodworker,

Now is the time to stock up and buy all of the tools and supplies you have been wanting. Save 10% on Everything* on Saturday, July 28, 2007! Offer valid at Woodcraft.com, your local Woodcraft Store or call 1-800-225-1153. Be sure to visit Woodcraft.com on Saturday for special savings!

If that's not enough, we are offering FREE Ground Shipping* on all purchases made now through July 30! That includes the July 28th sale so you can save 10% on everything*and get free ground shipping* on your order! Click here to check out our current sale flyer! Happy Shopping!

*Offer excludes all Festool Products, Leigh Jigs, SawStop, Steel City & Gift Cards.

Enjoy,"

Hmmm I wonder what the Rikon minus 10% comes to?