Thread: Bandsaw power feeder

1. Bandsaw power feeder

I've never used a feeder before, and I'm interested in getting one for my Bridgewood PBS-440. I've seen dedicated "resaw" power feeders, but I was also wondering if a typical feeder might also work. Anybody use one on their bandsaw?

I suppose a regular feeder could be used, but it would be more time consuming to reset the feeder head after every few cuts.

Band saw feeders are set up on a pivot and use a spring mechanism to maintain pressure against the fence.

Here is a picture of my Grizzly feeder and roller fence, it is a private labeled Comatic feeder. You can start off with a 12/4 board and just keep resawing (I do shop sawn veneers) until you are done with out ever resetting the fence. The big spring maintains the pressure.

The head is locked back in the open position in this photo, when unlocked it swings over to the fence. These feeders weigh 170lbs and bolt to the table and are not easy to remove. My machine is a "dedicated" resaw machine so that is not a problem. My shaper's feeder I can swing out of the way with no problem at all.

HTH
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

3. Nice reply John. Much appreciated. Now I know why I need a bandsaw feeder.
    It looks like your saw is a 20". I wonder if the table on my 18" is large enough for a feeder? I'll have to do some looking into that. Thanks again.

I bet the feeder gives much smoother cuts than by hand.

How do you like the ceramic guides? I've been thinking about upgrading the ones on my bridgewood. They are typical euro guides.

band saw feeder

Jameel: Have you called Curt Wilke? When I was down there last winter they had a power feeder hooked up to either the 440 or 540 bandsaw on display. Maybe they have one hanging around you could get a good deal on. If not he probably could steer you in the right direction.
    Gary

Jameel, I use a Grizzly (the $600 model) on my Jet 18" 3 hp w/shop made fence, I keep it waxed works good. Upgraded the wheels on the the feeder. I resaw a lot of wood works great, it's a must have item.

Have fun Dennis
    ny001.jpg
    ny005.jpg

Question Feeder for a Hitachi CB 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Perry View Post
    Jameel, I use a Grizzly (the $600 model) on my Jet 18" 3 hp w/shop made fence, I keep it waxed works good. Upgraded the wheels on the the feeder. I resaw a lot of wood works great, it's a must have item.

Have fun Dennis
    ny001.jpg
    ny005.jpg
    I would like to get a feeder for my resaw and like the larger Grizzley, but the feed rate seems much too fast. Dennis, is your feeder pictured in the article the cheaper Grizzley? The feed rate on that machine seems fine, but it looks like it has only two feed rollers and your picture shows three. I'd like to be able to resaw 12" hardwood and the feed rollers need to push against the material much higher than the two rollers pictured in the Grizzly catolog for the small $600 unit. I could also make a bracket to mount the feeder higher off the table.
    All things considered I'd rather use the larger unit with some electronic speed control to drop the feed rate down to about 5 fpm. Does anyone have any experience with that?

thanks, Michael Bock
    www.geronimowoodworks.com