Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Pens, What Do You Think?

Keith!

I think this is an excellent plan! Count me in!

I am a member of three major penturning groups, I will spread the word.

Like Ken said, this should be an ongoing project.

I also have an idea on inexpensive kits for this. Let me work on it for a bit.

Maybe the non-turners could make small boxes or something?

I have one suggestion - this will get cumbersome as a thread pretty quickly. Maybe make up a nice web page for the project and get a link to it at the top of the main page here. It will help having a page to link people to.

Take care.

Scott

Doc,

I am in Newport News. I have a mini lathe and am relatively new at turning. I have turned a few pens. If you would like to get together and turn some pens I would be happy to share my limited knowledge and we could start our own little production line. A little inter-service collaboration.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Darn it, I have been fighting this turning bug like ya can't believe, just when I thought I had at least managed to stay out of the pen frenzy who have to come up with this great idea, and now I have to go out this weekend to rockler or woodcraft and get some tools and pen kits, LOL

Kieth, I spent time in viet nam in the bush with the infantry, believe me anything from the land of the big PX was welcome, and I can believe how great these pens will be. The only thing that means more to a GI than a good hot meal is Mail, both incoming and outgoing, think of these great fighting men writing thier loved ones with one of our pens, brings a tear to this old vets eye.

Thanks for the great idea, and give me awhile to get up the learning curve.

Ace

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves

I have one suggestion - this will get cumbersome as a thread pretty quickly. Maybe make up a nice web page for the project and get a link to it at the top of the main page here. It will help having a page to link people to.

Take care.

Scott
    A good idea. I have "stuck" the thread at the top of the PT Forum at least for the time being. Maybe as we get further along we can do as you suggest. We are just now getting off the ground.

In the meantime I have generated a dedictated page on my web site where we can kinda keep the jest of things together.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-31-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Kits and wood

I would also accept kits to make and donate. I am just getting started with the pens. I could also donate some wood cut to size. It would, though, be common species with some fruitwood (apple or peach) thrown in. Also, on ebay there are slimline kits for $1.70 each with cheap shipping, sounds like a good price to me.
    Eddie in So. West Virginia BP

Count me in, too! This is an awesome thought!

I hope that I will be able to make as many as I'd like too, but like others, funds are tight and I would accept any style kits from those that don't turn (as long as it's a European or slimline).

Todd- elm, walnut, mesquite, mulberry, myrtle plus some others would be good for blanks. Just cut them 3/4" x 3/4" x 6"- that will work for most of the kits out there.

Keith,
    Thanks for having a heart to serve those that serve us!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

I just got off the phone with my wood supplier and told him about our efforts. He has agreed to save the rippings for me next week. I told him maple, mahogany, walnut, cherry and any other premium hardwood that they are processing. I'll get them for free. I told him I would start with a pickup-load, random lengths from 8' to 16'. Some may be up to 1½" wide and up to 2" thick (if they are processing 8/4).

Score!!! Now, I need a place to send them, or you all can come get them. (Sure wish I had a stock feeder now..., and a tiger stop...)

Can these be band-sawn? Do they need to be 4-sided smooth? I would think band-sawn and rough would be OK for all you excellent turners out there.

Todd .

Great idea on contacting wood suppliers Todd, I will be working on that this weekend. I have discussed this idea with co-workers and my Family members, and everyone has commented on what a wonderful idea this is. I have enlisted the help of SWMBO and my kids, and we are gonna be some turnin' fools this weekend. I have been trying to get my wife turning more Pens for a while now, and she is pumped for this project. So, while she turns, I will be assembling. I have a bunch already turned that I was offering for sale at my various outlets, but that will have to wait.........these are going to our Service Men and Women who are doing a thankless job, and doing it well, so that we can enjoy a safe and free America. Who knows where this will lead, but I'll bet some friendships are kindled through our kindness. Keith, my hat's off to you and Ken for this outstanding idea..............those early morning chats must be when you guys do your best work! I will get the Jet Mini spinning, and send a batch the first of the week. God Bless America, our Sawmill Creek Members & Families and our Service Men and Women!

Todd,

No need to make them smooth, a BS should be just fine as long as they stay about 3/4" x 3/4" x 6". They're just going to be turned down so the blank surface will disappear anyway. The blanks will be cut to size to meet the needs of each pen kit so being of absolutely uniform size is not necessary.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Wow!

The email is flying tonight! Lots of people are all gearing up for this program. Ken Salisbury is working up some numbers for us and will post later tonight or early in the morning.

Tom Sweeney has registered the FreedomPens.us domain name and has volunteered to do a quick web design and Aaron will create a new Freedom Pens Forum here at the Creek later tonight. We will tie the new web pages to the new forum as quick as possible.

Ken has some very solid ideas for the program that he will be sharing very soon, we will all benefit from the Old Rebels marketing expertise
    Ken is also brainstorming ways that non-turners can get involved more efficiently by connecting turners with those who want to contribute in their own way. Lots of really good ideas are coming from this thread so keep your thoughts flowing right here. We are reading every message every hour. Ken and a few others have already mentioned newspapers, radio and television exposure for our worthy cause.

Tuesday I will contact a couple of politicians in my area to see what kind of support they might be able to provide. I also know a couple of business people who could be very helpful as well.

I have lots of black walnut scraps that I will prep for blanks if anyone needs them, I think I can also provide ash, alder and some maple blanks that are all kiln dried by me I will be glad to ship them to anyone who can use the material. I will cut the blanks 3/4" square by 6" long. The walnut came from Colonial Williamburg.

Wow!

Feeling overwhelmed yet, Keith? Perhaps exhiliratingly overwhelmed?!

I am interested in how a non-turner can help...looking forward to it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Just a thought here, but if we're gonna do this pen thing (which I think is an AWESOME idea), I thought that the soldiers might like a slice of Americana in the form of the wood being all native to the U.S., so I was thinking of using walnut, cherry, oak, whatever U.S. species I have or can get ahold of.

Oh, yeah, my commitment for now is for 10 pens, but if I end up with more time in the weeks/months to come I will probably do more then.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Keith,
    That is a great idea. Our guys in foreign countries need all the support that we can give them. I will do what I can to help out with this project.

John Williams

What an absolutely outstanding idea!!!! However, I am not a turner either. How can I help?

Hey Todd Burch - I would be happy to pay the shipping for the stock you got donated. Barring that, if I can help in any other way just let me know.

Waymon...

Hello, I teach Industrial Technology at a middle school and one of the projects I have the students complete is a pen. I would like to get my students involved in this great project. If some of the non turners would like to donate some supplies or kits along with myself I think we can involve a lot of middle school age kids in this project. If you are interested my school email is dbonde@po-1.iowa-falls.12.ia.us or you can contact me through the Saw Mill Creek and my home email dbonde@mycns.net