Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Pens, What Do You Think?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Freedom Pens

Freedom Pens

I had an idea this morning to start making wooden pens and donating them to our troops overseas. I have about 15 pens that I can donate and over the coming weeks I'm sure that I can turn another bunch. I'm not as fast as Ken Salisbury but I will produce as many as I can.

I have contacted the Base Commander at Fort Monroe Virginia and I am waiting for him to return my call. I will ask him if he would be willing to deliver pens directly to the troops with only one stipulation, they must be given away for free. Those of you who have served know how much it means to get a package from home, imagine how much it will mean to receive such a nice gift from a fellow American, a reminder that they in our hearts everyday.

A pen is a gift that a soldier can use to write home and it's small enough for them to carry. Hopefully the pens and their new owners will find their way back home safe and sound and it will someday be a special keepsake, a reminder of a call to duty.

Fort Monroe is one of the oldest Army Forts in the country and is historically significant. This is my reasoning for selecting Fort Monroe as a point of departure. If the Base Commander is unwilling to ship my precious cargo then I will use the Post Office at Yorktown Virginia which is located just yards away from the last battle of the Revolutionary War, another historically significant point of departure known to All American Patriots.

If anyone would like to join me I sure could use the help, I need 100,000 pens if I'm to give one to every soldier serving overseas. Consider this post a "Call to Arms" all Ye Pen-Turners and honorable members of SawMill Creek...Will You Help?

Keith, you can count me in! I don't know how many Pens I can donate, but I have a pretty good bunch of them on hand now, and I can get busy turning more this weekend. I will cut and glue up some blanks and get busy. Sounds like a great idea............wouldn't that be cool if we could get together 100K pens? Let me know if you have any specific things in mine as far as the look of them, or the wood selection.

Keith,

This is a great idea! I checked my inventory and I'm a few short of 100K pens but would be happy to donate those that I have as well as make some more. (Geez Honey, I know I've been spending a lot of time in the shop but I'm just doing my part for the troops. By the way I need to buy more pen kits and, yeah, also a new Stubby/Oneway/Powermatic/Jet/Delta lathe to meet the production needs. ) Let us know where to send them.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Freedom Pens

Thanks Guys for helping me out I was begining to sweat and thought I would be making all of the pens by myself

Wow! I'm starting to get email and lots of Private Messages concerning Freedom Pens...

Here is my suggestion;

Write your name, city and state on a sheet of paper then Wrap each pen in a sheet. The paper wil protect the pen and provide the recipient with the name of the person who made the pen. You can include a written sentiment if you like and include the SawMill Creek logo on the sheet as well. Whatever suits you will be fine.

As far as pen design, construction or type of wood let you imagination go wild. Every pen will touch the heart of the recipient I guarentee it.

Send all wooden pens to our office at Hampton Roads Online and I will personally box and deliver them for shipment.

This is not to become a burden on anyone, one pen or whatever you can do will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-31-2021 at 10:46 AM.

I'll get my share done and sent to you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Here is my suggestion;

Write your name, city and state on a sheet of paper then Wrap each pen in a sheet. The paper wil protect the pen and provide the recipient with the name of the person who made the pen. You can include a written sentiment if you like and include the SawMill Creek logo on the sheet as well. Whatever suits you will be fine.

Send all wooden pens to our office at Hampton Roads Online and I will personally box and deliver them for shipment.

SawMill Creek
    Hampton Roads Online
    1213-H George Washington Memorial Highway
    Yorktown, VA 23693
    I bought 50 of the cardboard boxes from Laserbits that will be nice to write information on and protect the pens. Great idea.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Thanks, Ron

You can count me in. I too don't know how many I can give, but I will get some in.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thumbs up Awesome!!

Keith, this is a great idea!! Unfortunately, I am not a turner (YET!!! ), so I am not in a position to donate any pens. Do you have any ideas for those of us that don't own a lathe? I'd love to lend a hand somehow...

Keith

Ken

I would love to help with some pens. I just started turning some pens and need some more kits. Can anyone recommend a place to buy good kits cheap or does anyone want to combine orders so we can get the volume pricing. I would be willing to place the order and then ship the kits on to others. you could pay me when you get the kits.

Sparky Paessler
    Sparky Paessler

Don't Turn Pens, BUT

I don't turn pens and don't want to get started - at least, just now, but I would be glad to buy a number of pen kits, hardware, or what ever is necessary. If anyone can suggest a mechanism on how to do this, please do. For instance, give me a web site for buying the kits and I'll put in an order and have it shipped to the turner's address.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Keith, I too am not a pen turner but would like to help. Being in the Navy and having been away from home, it's things like this that really mean a lot to our men and women in uniform. We don't receive a lot of thanks for what we do, so when someone comes along, unsolicted, with such an act of kindness and sincerity, I can tell you from personal experience it is greatly appreciated.

Please let me know how I can help. I'm only in Chesapeake, so if you need a hand packaging the stuff up, I can come up there.

Be well,

Doc

Carl, that is a very generous offer, thank you very much for getting involved in such a worthwhile cause. I have a few kits on hand, and quite a few already finished, and perhaps someone else that turns Pens could use the help more than I. If there are no takers Carl, just let me know, and I will gladly Turn Pens and submit them in your name for the donation to the troops. Actually, this offer would be a great idea for anyone that doesn't turn Pens, but would like to get involved to support our Troops. Keith, I REALLY think this idea is neat..........thanks for bringing it to light.........Let's all support this idea!

OK - no more excuses!

I've been procrastinating about getting started turning pens. Even when my buddy Kevin Gersty sent me some pen blanks - I still haven't gotten out & done it.

I would be happy to join in this extremely worthwhile venture. I don't know how many I can do & I hope the quality of my work is up to the task at hand - but count me in. Anything we can do to show the troops how much we appreciate their sacrifice is a good deal in my book!

Carl - I would be happy to also accept some kits & donate them in your name. If you want to contact me you can email me at toms@realtymarketing.com if you want to collaborate on this.

Keith, is there a timetable on this? I am much more productive with a deadline
    Thank you very much for thinking of this.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Keith,

Great Idea. As you know I am stationed at Ft. Eustis, just up the road from Ft. Monroe. I know a few senior officers that may be able to grease the skids on this if necessary.

Have you approached any suppliers about a bulk buy program for this?

I would be happy to turn pens for such a worthwhile cause. Maybe turners and non-turners alike could get together in their local areas and do a weekend production run of pens. A regular Freedom Pen production line.

Let me know how I can help.....contacts, packaging, whatever.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

I am not a turner, and I have no extra cash for pen kits.

However, if you need wood - I got it.

Tell me the dimensions you need, how many, and where to send them. If you want to specify flavors of wood, I'll see what I can do.

(No, you can't have bubinga )

Here are your choices:

red oak
    walnut
    limited supply of curly soft maple
    cherry
    poplar (probably not wanted, but hey)
    antique reclaimed heart pine
    white oak
    live oak
    MDF (just kidding)
    vertical grain doug fir
    eastern red cedar
    birdseye white pine (probably too soft)
    pitch pine (also probably too soft)
    black tupelo
    black gum
    elm
    sweet gum
    pecan
    mesquite
    pear (very little)
    spruce
    myrtle
    mulberry
    mahogany

And probably some others I have forgotten about.

Let me know. I'll ship to one location only, cheapest method available. Todd

Kits and wood

I would also accept kits to make and donate. I am just getting started with the pens. I could also donate some wood cut to size. It would, though, be common species with some fruitwood (apple or peach) thrown in. Also, on ebay there are slimline kits for $1.70 each with cheap shipping, sounds like a good price to me.
    Eddie in So. West Virginia BP