Thread: Getting the word out

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Getting the word out

It is important to get the word out about the Freedom Pens program. If you can contact your local news outlets, TV Stations, etc we can generate lots of interest, support and volunteers.

Here is an e-mail I sent to the News Director of the 3 local TV Stations in Huntsville as an example:

Erin,

I wanted to give you a heads up on a new "grass roots" program being started that you may be of interested to you.
    The Freedom Pen program is an all volunteer effort spearheaded by the members of SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums to provide custom hand crafted pens to American servicemen and women overseas.

Freedom Pens are being made by individual woodworkers everywhere, from small towns to our largest cities, amateur woodworkers are donating their time, talent and personal funds to create custom handcrafted pens as a symbol of their support for our military men and women.

We believe we can ship over 20,000 pens this year alone.

You can get more details by going to this URL: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=6137

I believe this program will take off like wild fire since Saw Mill Creek has close to 2000 members all dedicated to make this a reality.

I would like to discuss this with you in more detail.

Regards

Ken Salisbury
    xxx-xxxx (home)
    xxx-xxxx (cell)
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken, I just wanted to let you know that I have also spent a good deal of my morning contacting the Local Media Outlets with information and the link to Keith's message regarding the Freedom Pens. Here are some ideas that I will share with you and our members regarding what I have done. Many of the local affiliates of the Network Television Stations have biography information about the local Anchor Personalities on their Websites. I have discovered, in the St. Louis Market, that Fox Television's St. Louis Station, Fox 2, has a Weather Anchor that is a Active member of the Reserves. We are also fortunate to have at Fox 2 in St. Louis Charles Jaco. Some of you may remember Charles Jaco from the Gulf War. He was then a CNN correspondant, and was their lead Anchor for the War Theatre Coverage. You may remember him atop the Bagdhad Hotel. He put himself in danger to bring us the War Coverage. I have emailed both of these Gentlemen with Keith's Message and my contact information about the Freedom Pen Program. I have also contacted the Morning and Evening Drive Time Personalities at KMOX Radio in St. Louis. KMOX is 50,000 Watts strong, and is probably the largest Radio Market in the Country. In addition, I will be contacting the local and St. Louis Newpaper Media next week. The way I see it, this is a numbers game, and the more exposure we seek, the better chances we have of getting the coverage this effort deserves. I have 10 Pens Turned as I type this, and I have cut blanks for about 50 more. I will be turning more pens when my glue ups are dry tomorrow. I urge everyone to help us get the word out, and to participate in this very worthwhile cause. These brave Men and Women are doing the job, as others have before them, so that we can enjoy our freedom living in the best Country in the world. For that, this is the least we can do!

Good luck to all involved, and "Let's Roll"!

I also have notified local and surrounding newspapers, and TV news people.
    Just trying to do my part.

I have gone to my local Wood Craft Store to ask for their Help.
    They will post our info and will keep a box for donations. I have also taught a friend to turn pens and she will assist me in our area.

I have posted information about the Freedom Pen Project on each of the three major penturning forums I belong to. Interest is starting to pick up there. I know one member says he has already sent off fifteen pens this morning!

I also E-Mailed the editor of American Woodturning magazine. They are just getting ready to go to print on the next issue of the magazine, so I thought I'd better get the word to him quickly.

I also E-Mailed Bill Baumbeck and Ryan at Woodturningz (Julie, we think alike!), as well as Ben Williams at Craft Supplies.

I'm just trying to think of where else I can post this. Julie has done a great job covering the other woodworking forums! Thanks!

And thanks again to you, Keith! This is great!

Scott.

I stopped by the Woodcraft store in Norfolk, VA today and talked with the owner. He will post a flyer/article about this and set up a donation box for kits and blanks. He also offered the use of the class room and tools, lathes, drill press, bandsaw, if a group of locals would like to get together a few nights a week and turn pens. Anyone in the Tidewater area that is interested in participating in a "Freedom Pen" pen turning session at the local Woodcraft store can send me a PM for the details. Even if you are not a turner you can cut blanks, drill, and assemble.

Many thanks to Bill and Heather at Woodcraft for this generous offer.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Question Freedom Pens Flyer?

Have you thought about designing a standard flyer people can use to post at places like Woodcraft and woodworking clubs? If it was done in Microsoft Word, most people could print them out very easily. It would be nice to come up with a logo specific to the effort, too. Just a thought...

Jim Lane

Have at it Jim,
    I am waiting on one of the more prolific writers of our group to draft up some signs/poster material so that I can do just that. A standard flyer would be wonderful.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lane
    Have you thought about designing a standard flyer people can use to post at places like Woodcraft and woodworking clubs? If it was done in Microsoft Word, most people could print them out very easily. It would be nice to come up with a logo specific to the effort, too. Just a thought...

Jim Lane
    We are working on a standard program notice for the media and others. We are also working on a logo (Aaron) and a seperate web site. Just a lot in the pot at the moment - but we will get there.

Thanks for your input
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.