Thread: Stanley Bailey 5C Identification?

Stanley Bailey 5C Identification?

Hi everyone,

This #5C jack plane followed me home from the flea market on Saturday. I probably paid a little too much for it (I blame the excessive heat). So live and learn.

This one caught my eye because of the "beefier" casting, the webs cast near the tote, and the big "Made in England" cast into the front. It's in good condition with it's japaning about 90 to 95% intact. Although someone got careless with some red paint and stained the sides. It's nothing a little elbow grease can't take care of

I've always wanted to have one of these out and was somewhat surprised to find this version just a bit heavier than my "standard" #5. (We're talking about approximately 10 to 15% difference based on holding one in each hand). If I get a chance I'll weigh my #5 and then this #5C and get an accurate weigh difference (if any).

But my question regards the age and source. I have a copy of "Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools" and didn't see a mention of the words "Made in England" in the section that helped you date your hand plane. I did see that they were manufactured from 1898 to 1970. But not much else. I also looked on the internet at "Patrick's Blood and Gore" and didn't see a reference to this particular feature.

Can someone tell me some more about this plane and help me find out how old this is?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

Hi Dominic,
    In Australia we see quite a few Stanleys made in England.
    Many of them seem to have been made in this beefier casting.
    I'm not sure if Stanley in England had two types of castings for their planes, but I have often seen these heavy duty cast Stanleys offered by plane fettlers as a premium plane over other US and Canadian Stanleys.
    You may have got yourself a quality plane there.
    I would be interested to see it after you have cleaned it up.
    Regards
    MC

Blood and Gore won't help you, as Patrick is "New Britian CT-centric" in his type studies and simply does not deal with the UK production of bench planes. I am not aware of any UK production type studies, but google away in the UK and see what might come up. You've got hardwood handles there, and steel adjustment nut, which my best guess places this at best late 1950's, perhaps more likely mid to late 1960's in terms of manufacture. You will see new ones still for sale with the "y" castings in the rear. I personally like the extra heft, and my user is a WWII production plane with the heavier sides and bottom. I don't think its at all collectible here in the US (e.g., the New Britian CT bias) but it looks like a fine plane and will likely tune up really nice for you as a good user, so use it in good health. The corrigated bottom is a nice feature as well. Rich

Hi Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Niemiec View Post
    ...I personally like the extra heft, and my user is a WWII production plane with the heavier sides and bottom. I don't think its at all collectible here in the US (e.g., the New Britian CT bias) but it looks like a fine plane and will likely tune up really nice for you as a good user, so use it in good health. The corrigated bottom is a nice feature as well.
    Rich,
    That's pretty much the way I'm looking at it. I bought it to use and that's what I intend to do with it. The little extra heft and the corrugated bottom are what attracted me to it in the first place.

Of course, having a nice pedigree would have been icing on the cake. But you can't have everything (where would you put it?)

It'll do until I eventually find that bedrock jack plane (or LN!) I've been dreaming of.

Thanks,
    Dominic

Thanks Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Cash View Post
    Hi Dominic,
    In Australia we see quite a few Stanleys made in England.
    Many of them seem to have been made in this beefier casting.
    I'm not sure if Stanley in England had two types of castings for their planes, but I have often seen these heavy duty cast Stanleys offered by plane fettlers as a premium plane over other US and Canadian Stanleys.
    You may have got yourself a quality plane there.
    I would be interested to see it after you have cleaned it up.
    Thanks for the input Martin. You can ret assured that as soon as I clean it up, I'll post a picture here on SMC.
    Dominic Greco

I have a #7 made in England like this and it is a fine user. It is not the same as the modern ones sold today (which are junk by comparison). It's heavy, flat, the frog beds well and the iron beds well on the frog. It took very little fettling to get it working great. These early made in England models are a good bargain as they don't carry the collector value and aren't preached about by users like the made in USA models are (a real shame in my opinion as they are very good users).

Dominic you could try posting on the UK Hand Tools site and see what response you get.
    There are some very well informed Ladies and Gentlemen on that forum.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/v...d9534ffcedda0c

Regards
    MC

Hi Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rozaieski View Post
    I have a #7 made in England like this and it is a fine user.
    I'm glad to see people who actually HAVE this hand plane (or one like it) responding to this thread. It is very discouraging to hear someone saying "this is junk" when in fact they have never held, or used one of these planes in their life.

Thank you for your (informed) input.
    Dominic Greco

Thanks for the tip Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Cash View Post
    ...you could try posting on the UK Hand Tools site and see what response you get
    I may do just that! Thanks again for the tip!
    Dominic Greco

Dominic,
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
    Clean up and fettle your plane and give it a workout.
    I have a Stanley USA number 6C, and a UK Stanley number 6 in the beefy version that you have.
    I have fettled both of them, and find that there is no difference in performance at all.
    In fact, there are times when I prefer the UK version because its additional mass makes planing so much easier in longer boards and when dealing with knotty wood.
    Have a go mate.
    Regards
    MC