Thread: Corian polishing

Corian polishing

I've just CNC'd a small sign in a dark grey piece of Corian. I color filled with a gold metallic spray paint and sanded with a 320 grit to remove the overspray. Since the darker Corian colors seem to look best with a gloss finish, I wetsanded with 400,600,1000,1500,2000 and finally used a white polishing paste to bring out the gloss. This seemed to take an eternity. Now granted, I'm doing alll this sanding by hand, but those of you who do this on a regular basis, how do you do it? I have an orbital sander, but I not sure it's the best for a wet environment (electric).

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, the guy who installed our kitchen countertops used a random orbital sander to polish it up and sprayed water where he was sanding. It didn't seem to harm the sander, as he wasn't spraying on the sander itself, just the top. Came out very nice---but now it needs it again. Just another item for the honey-do list.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Dave,

You can dry sand with your ROS with 80, 120, 220 then start using Scotch 3M pads finishing with the white pad using solid surface polish. Just 30 seconds per disk for a small plaque so it doesn't take long.

You can also use the Trizac disks with your ROS and a spray bottle of water. Just a little bit of water sprayed on the plaque then polish, make sure you wipe the surface when you change disks. The amount of water used is very little so there isn't much of a risk of being shocked. The advantage of Trizac disks and water is there is no dust.

We sandblast out the design then fill with a contrasting color corian seam fill ( what you glue the joints together with ) then sand down and it looks like a complex inlay.

Sanding take less time with an air sander and water, work your way through the grits sizes and don't skip any one step and it will come out like glass if you want it that shiny.

Chuck
    Wherever you may be, it is your friends who make your world.

I'm still new to all of this, but I'm still a little lost on the polishing part. I V-Carve my text, then paint, then sand off overspray with 60, then 220. I then spray a little lacquer on for the shine. I'd really like to learn how to polish (spraying the lacquer could prevent repainting down the road).
    Keith you mentioned above using Scotch 3M pads finishing with the white pad using solid surface polish. Could you give me more information, where to buy, etc. Also how do you prevent the polish from going down into the V-carved areas?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Corian polishes nicely with standard jewelers rouge and buffing compounds

Larry

Larry -

What keeps the buffing compounds out of the v-carved areas? is this a paste or liquid?

Kevin,

Lots of stores carry solid surface polish, it is about the consistency of yellow woodworkers glue. In the last step you use the white Scotch 3M pad on your ROS and add about an inch of polish to the surface of the Corian plaque. Rub the pad over the polish before starting the ROS, this will keep it from being thrown by the centrifugal force of the pad. Many types of paste wax and polish will cause your plaque to look yellow so search for a solid surface polish and save yourself the aggravation. Several applications of polish may be required to get the level of shine you prefer.

I order Scotch 3M pads from Industrial abrasives. I generally order a pack of each green, maroon, gray and white which last me quite awhile. Forget about their web site or their catalog...you need to call them and ask for hook and loop Scotch 3M pads to order them. Phone 800-831-6066

Industrial Abrasives also sells Mirka sanding disks which I prefer. I use 80, 100, 120, 200 and 220 grits but not in sequence all the time, it depends on the project. ADA signs I just sand with 80 grit abrasive since they are supposed to have a matte finish.

With Corian signs don't worry about sanding dust or polish getting in your engraved or v-carved areas, you can use an air hose to blow out the dust or just rinse with water to remove any particulates. Once you get your technique down pat you should be able to completely finish a large plaque or sign in about five minutes.

I also have 3M Trizact film (disks) that I use for polishing counter tops that are installed. These are used with an ROS and a spray bottle of water. I don't worry about electrical shock since it only takes a light spray of water or you can just use a wet rag to wet the surface if the shock hazard is a concern, better yet an air powered ROS sander. There is a sludge that develops on the surface with this technique that has to be cleaned between each step so I don't use Trizact disks very often.

Most of my signs get 80, 120, 220 grit sanding then about 30 seconds each with 3M pads, with the white pad and polish last and I get a real nice smooth finish. Mirror finish work is done with a buffing wheel and jewelers rouge but I dislike this method as it is time consuming and tedious work.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-10-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Keith -

Lots of great info.. thanks for the help and advice.

Kevin

Keith -

Called and got 3 of the 4. The sales rep couldn't find the green. We actually used your company name to find the other 3. If you have a part number for the green let me know. Can't wait to get them and see how they work out. I'll stop by Home Depot tomorrow and look for the solid surface polish.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

using felt or muslin buffs to polish, sometimes a hard felt lap to keep flat (,but corian doesn't distort much with buffs) ......with bobbing compound and then red rouge for final polish

we do mostly small stuff and use an ultrasonic (with almost straight hot ammonia) and steam cleaner to clean up.......so not a problem

Larry,

An ultrasonic sink...I am envious

Kevin, I threw away the packaging so I can't find the part number for the green disks. Shouldn't be a problem though as I don't use the green ones very often as they are generally too course for Corian but work well on metal. The solid surface polish I have is "Hope's Premium Home Care Solid Surface Cleaner and Polish".
    Phone 800-325-4026
    www.hopecompany.com

Keith -

Again, thanks for the information and help. Mind if I come up and just sit in the corner of your shop?? I'll be quite and I promise I won't touch anything.

Thanks again,
    Kevin

Kevin,

Sure, give me a call or drop a note when you have the time for a visit.

Try a welding store for the various 3M polishing pads you need. Most folks that work stainless need them.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid