Quote Originally Posted by Tom Francis View Post
Personally, unless you have a suitable place to spray a mineral based product, I would stick with lacquer since it dries quickly. That is important for (2) reasons.
  • Lessens the problem of overspray sticking to everything in the vicinity.
  • Less time for dust nibs / bugs / etc. getting in your newly sprayed finish.
Go to Lowes and buy a can of Deft (lacquer). This sprays well and is a pretty good finish. It is also much easier to rub out the finish with steel wool, and if you ever have to repair the finish, it is better for that as well.

Or, you could go to a paint store and buy a can of precatalized lacquer (Campbell) and that will work well too. IMHO

I have had excellent results spraying lacquer, and I don't have a booth. I have had to spray my large projects in my backyard. Lacquer doesn't hold up as well for table tops exposed to moisture, but for bookcases or other projects where people are going to be putting wet items on it, it works fine.
Okay, this doesn't really answer the OP's question. I prefer poly myself. I spray outside on calm days and let the item dry inside. If I can recoat before 2 hours, I may not sand depending on smoothness.
Poly has wider availability and better durability. If sanded between coats and not put on shellac, it's hard to mess up. Lacquer, IMO is easier to mess up. Precat is noxious.