Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Oval Shape Do You Like?

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Todd,
    After sitting at one of those type tables for 23 years, I agree that the blunt is much more user friendly. Perhaps, as suggested with softened corners. Can't wait to see the pics.
    Dan

Todd, I like the ellipse. However, I am wondering if you should first make a rectangle that is the dimensions of the golden rectangle, and then fit the ellipse or blunt ellipse or which ever shape you decide, into the golden rectangle. This might prove to be the best over all size and shape. Just thinking out loud here. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Definitely Blunt ! !

I agree with Ken
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Todd,

This rambling stream of thought assumes this will be used in a business enviornment. My immediate thought goes to the blunt design. However, I know that's heavely influenced by years of sitting around similar designs in my work experience. For a "get business done" enviornment it's nice to have maximum square footage but the elliptical design aids communication. You dont have to lean to see who your directing comments to at the other end of the table. Traditionaly, in business that blunt end goes to the boss or Team lead if they choose to use it. If I'm leading the meeting I like to be at the middle of the table so I can have more people close to me. Today depending on the room set up (Brad Schafer said it all in a previous post) you typically have multimedia devices in the room. If projectors etc are not built into the overhead they land on the table or at the end. If something will be at the end I say go with blunt. If not elliptical, I think, is better for communication both in a business and home enviornment. Depending on the wood and figure it may be the most pleasing to the eye.
    John

The size and shape of the table top obviously needs to fit the space but on the other hand, will the table always be in that space and never move?

Any thoughts to a drop-leaf design? Would it be nice to have the table adjustable for any reason (i.e. adding center piece or two to make it longer)?

Overall, I like the simple rectangular shape as it affords the most area of such a beautiful piece of wood. With 5 kids...I think it might be needed!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

How about?

Todd -

How about a "super oval"? It is a design I have seen in Scandinavian furniture stores. Sort of a cross between the regular ellipse, but closer to a racetrack. The blunt with radiused corner is also close, but not quite the same. The beauty of the super oval is the unbroken line all the way around (like a regular ellipse), but there is plenty of room at the ends to sit and work - or eat.

Ted

Ted, I would like to see the "super oval". Can you reference any pictures?

John, this will be a dining table, right off their kitchen. This will be their everyday table. 2 adults and 5 kids will bless this table 3 times a day, 7 days a week.

It will have a trestle base. The client gave me a photocopy of a base style he liked, but asked me to model up one that I liked. I have not done that yet.

The size is fixed at 10' x 40". No drop leafs and no leaves. I'll probably make it 29" tall - 1 inch shorter than typical, since it won't have an apron. I really want to stick with 2 legs too. This will be interesting.

I would say the Blunt. I like the Dished Ellipsed, but if there were any kids around, someone could get hurt on the edges.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I vote for the blunt also. Wow what a project.

Roger

Well, for beauty's sake, it's hard to beat an Ellipse, but it cuts down on square footage and makes the space at the ends unpleasent to sit at. The dished ellipse is nice looking, but I'd worry about those corners.

Of the choices, I like the blunt ellipse, but I'll bet you could flatten/lengthen the ellipse, then superimpose the long side of a smaller ellipse shape on the cut off edges to improve it further.

With that piece of BIG BUBINGA to work with you've got us all pulling for the creation of something great.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I've created two more drawings from y'alls suggestions.

The prior "deep dish" ellipse was concave with a 6" dish. This new one only has a 2" dish. We'll call it "thin crust"!! (or shallow dish, as I have it labeled)

The other not-so-blunted ellipse has an 18" radius arc on the ends. I like it and the blunt design - maybe this radiused one a bit better.

Any more ideas? Thanks - this is great feedback! Todd.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blend the 4 "corners" smoothly into the curvy shape and I think the bottom one is a winner!

It still has a nice area (most, so far, save the rectangular shape).

Does the table need to be symmetrical?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I agree with Chris. The bottom of the two is the better of the two, IMHO. Just smooth out those four corners, and you're there!

You know, You're going to have to inscribe all of our names on the underside of the table top, being credited as the "Design Team"!

Keith

The bottom one of the two would be my pick! Good compromise!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I'll try

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Ted, I would like to see the "super oval". Can you reference any pictures?
    Todd -

I'll see what I can come up with....or at least a drawing.

Regards,
    Ted