Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greene & Greene Stained Glass Window

Hey, ummmm guys? This thread is 11 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hey, ummmm guys? This thread is 11 years old!
    Party pooper . . . .

Blog Entries
    Well. It still is a good looking window.

Apologies folks. It was not my intent to resurrect this old thread. I linked to it in Lowell's thread about Greene and Greene.
    For the non history buffs, the window was based a design by John Hall, one of the principal craftsman responsible for bringing the Greene's designs, and concepts, to fruition. The Hall's worked very closely with the Greene brothers.
    I grew up in the Highland Park/ Eagle Rock area of Los Angeles. This area is across the Arroyo Seco from Pasadena. This area, and the houses built there, are atypical examples of the Mission/Craftsman/Art Deco concepts. Essentially I grew up in these design elements.
    When I first bought Darrel's book, and saw this design, it reminded me of the houses, and woodworking I grew up with, and I knew that I had to make something based on the design of the mirror this window is copied from.

Lowell
    It is still is a beautiful hanging window. It hangs in front of a window in our library, that is heavily influenced by the Art Deco/Arts and Crafts styles. One principal deviation from the Greene and Greene style is the actual window itself. The window is reference to the Mission and Limbert styles.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I have never thought the age of a thread made it less valuable. certainly "current" prices or makers may not be relevant years later but, techniques and craftsmanship have been relevant longer than this forum, or me for that matter, have been around . Linking to our own historical data is one of the things that makes a forum such a great resource and not just Facebook for wood butchers .

Beautiful tribute to John Hall's frame there Mike. Wonderful material and the glass makes a nice crossing of styles within a style. I'm glad it is where you can enjoy it regularly. I know I surely would. Beautifully done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

agreed - the age of a thread that imparts some woodworking knowledge and/or inspiration can never be too old. I do believe that the G&G pieces were made before 2007. Just sayin..........

And it was very timely for me because I had just pulled out a nice walnut board to start making a G&G frame for my wife's certificate for the Art Glass class she took at Marc Adams School. The timing was perfect.

Thanks for the reprise Mike.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

..A superb piece, Mike. What do you plan to do with it ? Does it go in front of another window, for instance ?

An old thread was how I found this place. Oddly, Google searches turn up more useful threads here than the forum's own search engine.

Beautiful piece, Mike!

Very nice! I've seen G&G done in non-traditional woods before and they haven't looked as stunning as this. What is the finish?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    An old thread was how I found this place. Oddly, Google searches turn up more useful threads here than the forum's own search engine.

Beautiful piece, Mike!
    A wall hanging in the den

Yonak
    It hangs in front go another window, and can be moved around. I've done a few of these for my wife. Different designs.
    I actually made two of these when I made it. One was made from some scrap choke cherry I had re-sawn from a tree that came down in our yard. I would "practice" on the scrap cherry,a nd then work on the ebony, which was wicked expensive at the time.
    A co worker now has the choke cherry frame, which I just gave him, because I would have put it up the chimney come winter. Which oddly enough, he put a mirror in to.

Stan
    If I recall the finish is a light coat of Tru-Oil.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)