Thread: Need advice on cordless circular saw

Need advice on cordless circular saw

Hello,
    I need some advice on buying a cordless circular saw. I need to cut about an inch or two off the top of about 100 feet of 1x6 cedar picket fence, and I prefer something lightweight, instead of having to handle a heavy 7 ¼ inch corded saw for this job. Since I’d like to also be able to use the saw for other jobs , I’d like to have a really quality tool. I suppose that battery life and battery quality would also be a consideration, so does anyone have a recommendation as to which brand and model I should be looking for?
    Thanks,
    Louis

I have the Milwaukee cordless circular saw. It is 18V. I can cut several sheets of plywood on a battery. My only complaint is that the blade runs slower than an electric saw. Not a problem cutting plywood but if you cut a 2x4 it takes longer than a corded saw.

If your primary concern is managing the saw, have you considered one of the smaller plug-in saws? A few companies make them.

Happy with the 18v DeWalt

I've got the 18v DeWalt. I got it to trim sheathing for a roof. Didn't want to deal with the cord up there. It works great. I've been able to rip 10 sheets of 5/8" sheathing without a recharge. Since I've got two battery packs from my 18v DeWalt drill, I can go all day without waiting on a charge.

I have a old pc battery powered trim saw.

I really used it for one thing only.

Trimming fascia, standing on a roof and off a ladder.

I haven't been on a roof or a 32 foot extension ladder in, jeez, 4 years.

Nope, I found in general, well ,always, I would rather have full

corded power in a power saw.

Because when that battery drains a little, you have the tendency to push

harder. The results more often then not, burning, binding then kick back.

100 foot extension cord is cheaper.

Per
    Last edited by Per Swenson; 07-01-2007 at 4:50 PM.
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    If your primary concern is managing the saw, have you considered one of the smaller plug-in saws? A few companies make them.
    Matt has a good point. The better 18 or 24V battery saws weigh about 8.5-10 lb with battery.

If you want lightweight, look at the Ridgid R3203 (8 lb) or Skil HD5510 (6.5 lb).

They may not be a big buck saw but I have had good luck with the 18v Ryobi. On the plus side I can cut though a 2x4 in a single pass because the blade is approximately 1/2 inches bigger than the 18v Dewalt. I have had mine for around 4 years and have used it a lot. I have trimmed many 2x6's with it and the battery holds up well.
    David B

I second the ryobi , you can get a ryobi multi-piece 18volt kit for what one of the other saws will run .

Ive got a couple of them and it would be my tool of choice for what you describe ,

if you decide on this route , get a new blade , it made all the difference in the world when I replaced the blade in mine

I'm with Per, not a fan of cordless circular saws. Their appetite for expensive battery packs is insatiable.

I saw this post Saturday before making a trip to HD and out of curiosity, stopped at the cordless circs. The 18v saws, sans battery, didn't feel a whole lot lighter than the 12-amp Skill. The Ryobi was the lightest.

Lithium ion may make cordless circular saws a more practical tool, but they are $$$ and there's better ways to spend my meager tool budget.

If you really want cordless get a Lithium Ion one. I have the Milwaukee 28V Lion set of saw-z-all, circ saw & screw gun. 6 1/4" blade allows any cut in 2X lumber, not just a 4 1/2" blade for panel cutting....
    The circ saw is amazingly powerful, ie ripping 2X PT in 8 & 10 foot lengths (soaking wet mind you) with no bogging or stalling. The Milwuakee has a brake too, which is great for being on a ladder, hanging over the rake of a roof etc.
    I will say these new higher voltage Lion tools have all the balls of the tailed versions w/out the tail. I grab my cordless more than the venerable Skil #77 parked right next to it....
    Another nicety with these is the battery status led's... push a little button on the battery and see how much gas is in the tank.
    Lastly, there is NO FALL OFF with these battery packs, literally it will just die in the middle of a cut. Charges last weeks & months when not in use, I have yet to pick one up and have it be dead (when it was partially charged when it was last used) & Lion batteries aren't supposed to have memory set in from charging patterns.

Cheers,
    Greg

I have a 14.4 v dewalt. RUN AWAY... It doesn't have enoght power to rip plywood. The 18V is better. Just make sure what ever you get has enought power.
    -=Jason=-