Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Base on a Drill Press: Yes or No?

Mobile Base on a Drill Press: Yes or No?

Hi:

I recently bought a Powermatic PM2800 drill press (~200lb) and was wondering if putting this on a mobile base is a bad idea. The manual actually says not to put this on a mobile base! But I remember seeing a couple of folks putting these top heavy machines on mobile bases (I'm not able to find those posts for some reason).

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Anil

I didn't put mine on a mobile base. Just didn't feel safe to me.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I put mine on a mobile base - no problems when set in place - of course you need to be careful when moving but that is not often and much better that the "rocking on the edge" of fixed base for those times when it needs to be moved to provide more room for usage, etc.

Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

My intention, one day, will be to build a mobile base with a larger footprint than it's standard base. Preferably with dimensions that are around it's actual space footprint with the add-on table I built. This should give me around 18x24" of base rather than the 10x15 or so. By extending the wheelbase, I'm hoping it will counter some of that top-heaviness.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I put mine on a 2'*3' piece of plywood and stand on the plywood when I use it. I can drag it around if I need to.

Scott

I had, but then I removed the mobil base - just not steady enough with my garage floor. Instead, I added some good leveling feet and took my time setting up the machine so that its stable.

Put mine on a mobile base w/no problems. The base is home-made from 2x4's so it's rock solid. Two fixed wheels in the back and rests directly on the floor in front. I lift the front with a broom-handled jigger with a couple of fixed casters on it and a hook that catches a "U" bolt sticking out the front.

Yeah, you need to exercise some common sense when moving it - not too fast, no sharp changes in direction, make sure the floor is clear when doing so, keep one hand on the column or the quill or the table or something.

I couldn't have a DP if I couldn't move it easily when I need to, which is often.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

I have one under mine...necessary to move it around in my shop...but I'm darn careful when I'm doing so. DPs are very top-heavy. Ideally, they would not be on a mobile base or one would move it (carefully) with a hand truck.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mine's on a mobile base but it's almost impossible to move without one. Roughly 600 Lbs or so. There's a lot of cast iron down low as well as up top so tippiness isnt a problem.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...91&postcount=3
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I'm sure I won't install the DP in its ideal location the first time, I will probably go ahead and put it on a mobile base. But I will probably try to increase the footprint to as wide as possible and make it a little less top heavy (by loading the base with bricks or sand). Hopefully that will make it less tippy.

Anil

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    If you make your own base, try using three wheels instead of four. The tripod effect will keep it steady even on floors that arent level.

I have a mobile base and threw a 75lb. bag of sand on the foot to help with stability.

Blog Entries
    I can't speak for that particular DP but, here's mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I can't speak for that particular DP but, here's mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448
    Glenn:

Thanks for the link. This was the post I was looking for, but couldn't find (I've bookmarked it now :-). I think I'm going to copy your solution. Are you using an HTC-1000 base there?

Thanks
    Anil

I am more interested in what you think of your PM 2800. I don't think they are available in Canada but from what I have heard, I wish they were.

As to your question, I have just read the manual for a Steel City DP and it says not to mount it on a mobile base. It may just be a CYA statement, but having one even remotely able to fall over doesn't sound like a good idea.

Basil