Thread: Engravlab users?

Engravlab users?

Okay, I realize everyone is using CorelDraw however.....
    I'm using Engravlab 6. Someone wants to send a file over the internet for vector cutting. He doesn't have Engravlab, what's the best file format for him to use so I don't have to do a lot of fiddling at my end to cut out his shapes with a laser?
    And has anyone used Engravlab extensively and switched to Corel or vice versa? Any thoughts on the differences, pros and cons (other than everyone uses Corel)?
    Thanks in advance I start my day checking this forum. Makes me think I know something right off the bat. You guys and gals are great.

Mark

40w m series pinnacle

We use corel files in Elab 5 for our CnC machines, just cut and paste it.
    Corel is better in some respects for lasers as it has extensive import and export flters. The only thing we find e-lab useful for is serialization and the "badge" function in terms of lasering.
    Elabs screen resolution sucks big time compared to corel.Curves appear jagged and we cant find any way to improve this
    E lab is way better for profiling and engraving machines as it has way better toolpath control and machining strategies.
    Of course dongle issues on elab mean that you can only run on one machine and re installing on an upgraded machine has often given us problems.
    We actually have signlab5 with all the modules and e-lab is a subsection of this, Dunno bout ver 6 , there might be some improvements.
    I would never willingly use elab as a front end or design package , Corel X3 is really very very good.
    We often port our serialised plates etc to Corel for lasering.
    The cost of Elab vs Corel does not , imho , justify the few features elab has over Corel when it comes to lasering.
    Ultimately , I would like to use one program to do it all , I have overhead routers , various rotary engravers , digital print and cut machines , lasers and so forth and the only things Corel doesnt drive well are the engravers.
    At any rate , your laser was designed to run on Corel by GCC , it's only signwarehouse that sells Elab with it and wont support Corel , you might as well change to Corel.
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 06-26-2007 at 9:52 AM.

Rodne,

Thanks for your quick reply and thoughts on Engravlab vs Corel. May have to work on my boss to spring for Corel sometime in the future.

Mark

Hey Mark,

He can send the file in a .eps, .ai, .dxf, .dwg or .plt format. Any of those file extensions are able to be imported into EngraveLab.

All of my customer are about 50% to 50%. 50% of them use our supported software's we sale (EngraveLab/Laser Master), the other 50% use Corel Draw/Adobe Illustrator/Non supported software. There are ups and downs to all these programs. There are way to many to list and I also don't want to turn this into a knock down drag out fight about which one is best.
    The one thing that I have learned when working with these machines is, it doesn't matter what software you have. If you know how to use it and you can get it to do what you want, it is a great software. You could have a program that cost $20,000 per license but if you didn't know how to use it or make it do what you need it to do, then it isn't worth a single penny to you.
    Kevin W. Huffman II
    Pinnacle Laser

Kevin,

Thanks for the info about files and your thoughts about sofware. EngraveLab has served us well so far. And I've appreciated talking to you from time to time with tech questions. You've always been a help.

Mark