Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Period Shelf Clock and Mirror

1. Federal Period Shelf Clock and Mirror

Here are two projects I've just completed; both are more or less repeats of pieces I’ve made in the past. The clock is based on examples by David Wood from Newburyport c.1810. The only significant changes from surviving examples are some of the inlays and the use of reeded curly maple quarter columns. The clock measures (less the bracket) 33 ½” tall, 12” wide and 6” deep. It is finished with my standard lime/dyed oil, followed by grain filler and shellac. The hardware came from Londonderry Brasses, and the glass from Bendheim. The customer supplied the dial and movement.

The mirror is a direct copy of one at the State Department. The smaller rosettes and the leaves at the sides are cast from hand carved masters; the remainder of the pieces are carved from pine. It is water gilded over traditional gesso and red clay bole. The customer later decided to have me shellac the gilding which cut much of the brilliance and depth of the burnished gilding. The mirror is finished exactly like the clock. The mirror is 21 ¼” wide and 54 ½” tall.

Rob Millard
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful, can't find enough words to describe them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Zabrocki View Post
    Beautiful, can't find enough words to describe them!!!
    You said it all Pat. I'm speechless. Craftsmanship is still alive in the USA!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Very beautiful. Quality workmanship which will be valued for generations. I doubt I'll ever get that good, but it is something to aim at.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Wow

Rob, you are still one of the few truly inspiration woodworkers in my mind. Along with Phil Lowe, and a couple others, I admire your attention to detail and your choice in projects. I'm glad I happened to log in tonite to see these. For several months, I had a picture of your tea caddy as my screensaver until I just couldn't take looking at that flawless finish anymore!

Rob,

As always, beautiful work. Finish is outstanding, but that is par for the course on your stuff.

I have been wanting to try my hand at a looking glass one day, probably will go for a little earlier period. I find it interesting that the dial was even signed by David Wood, the original maker.

Did you find these projects easier or faster since you have already made them in the past? And did you notice any quality difference based on your experience?

Cal

As always, you work and choice of pieces is fantastic Rob. Any chance you'll be going to the SAPFM Mid-Year Conference in Lancaster PA then end of next month?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Rob, outstanding work...as always.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

holy timepiece, batman !!!!

That is top shelf, no doubt about it !!
    MARK

Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed Rob. I love the mirror and especially the pediment carving on it. Are the thin vines from vase to leaves also carved or is that wire of some sort? Also, where did you learn to water guild? Is it difficult to do? Just lovely work!!

Wonderful pieces, love seeing your craftsmenship.

Those are beautiful Rob. Your talent is amazing - you just keep cranking out exquisite Federal Period Furniture. Awesome.

The wall bracket for the clock is a great touch....very nice indeed.

Is that a beading detail around the glass of the mirror?

Rob...You set a high bar for everyone else here! Very well done on both projects!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

as always, top notch.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Wow, fastastic work. I especially like the mirror.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.