Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Flash back" scarring acrylic

"Flash back" scarring acrylic

Laser: 65 watt Laser Pro Explorer
    Material: 1/4" Extruded Acrylic
    Problem: When cutting acrylic I am getting "flash back" from the aluminum honeycomb vector grid which is scarring the acrylic. I have tried cutting with paper backing on both sides - get paper burn with recommended settings and any variation of said settings that will cut through. I have tried cutting with Sticky Mickey mask, which is better, but still having problems. Best results, with least flash back, at 1.3% speed, 100% power, 1000 PPI, but still unpredictable flash back.

Any suggestions, recommendations would be most appreciated. Thanks!!

I will be unable to respond to your posts tonight, but will get back with you tomorrow, so please don't feel I am ignoring your good advice.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Transfer tape, bottom-side only, seems to work for me. The stuff I use is from Sign Warehouse, what they call "medium-tack" IIRC. At the settings necessary to go through 0.2" acrylic, it singes slightly but does not burn.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I'm in the process of engraving and cutting about 50 12x24 sheets of 1/4" acrylic into shapes for a job. The only time I had a problem was on the first run when I had the peak of a "roof" shape too close to the flat bottom of the piece above it. That extra air from allowed it to flare and blacken the paper on the peak. They were less than 1/16" apart. I moved the rows a bit farther apart and that solved it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I resolved this by getting the work up in the air. I have several things that are 1/2" thick, and I place them in various places under the acrylic, so it's 1/2" from the bottom of the acrylic to the top of the honeycomb table.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I too raise mine above the honeycomb, I use golf peg tees, they fit in the honeycomb but lift it far enough off to avoid the tick marks.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Something I am working on...a new vector table machined from Corian. Its a 12" by 24" piece of Corian with a 1/4" by 1/4" grid machined with a 45 degree router bit. The resulting surface is prism shaped and allows the air to flow unrestricted directly under the material being cut. My experience is that Corian won't flash when the laser beam hits it. The prism points are very sharp thus there is very little contact at the points but there are lots of points for support. The depth of machining is 1/4".

The picture below was generated by VCarve Pro, I should have the first vector table cut and ready to test this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-18-2007 at 10:54 PM.

Keith:
    Brilliant! The advantage of a pin table, but much simpler. Hope you can make a few bucks off this idea.
    Art

We almost never use our honeycombs , we either elevate using blocks of 10mm pex or cut directly on the "table"
    Why i put "table" in inverted commas is that we cut a sheet of black anodised ally to fit over the table , it absorbs laser energy and doesnt reflect it back as well as showing a white line when engraving on to it , the white line is great for outlines of objects and acts as a template.
    Air assit , properly directed should actually stopp flashback or flaming damage.
    Apart from that , most flashback occurs with honeycomb tables where the cells are slightly deformed , you can make a tool to "restore" the cells and make sure the walls and lips are exactly perpendicular to the workpiece

I have a vector table that I purchased with my first laser engraver. I have used it in both my Epilog Legend 24 (35 watt) and the new Xenetech XLT-1325-60 at CNU. It is extremely rare to ever see any flashing or flaming on my Epilog...ever. The Xenetech will flash and flame constantly unless the absolute perfect speed and power settings are found. I have not found any speed and power setting on the Xenetech yet that allow me to cut acrylic mirror with reasonable quality unless I mask and cut twice. The Epilog will cut acrylic mirror perfectly without masking and without any flashing issues in one pass.

I expect that Rodne's comment about air assist is the reason for the huge difference in the two machines. The Epilog directs the air down to the cutting zone and the Xenetech has an air bar that doesn't move so I expect less air gets to the cutting zone area thus it is less effective. These are just my feelings at this point, I don't have any technical data to back it up. I can say that when vector cutting acrylic the older Epilog is my first choice for thin materials based on cut quality. For raster engraving the Xenetech is fast, the extra power is a huge benefit and the quality is near perfect with one exception and that is when using a masking material. Paper masking tape will cause flaming even when raster engraving on the Xenetech at higher power settings...mostly when engraving deep text on Corian signs so I try to adjust my paint fill procedure when I can to eliminate using a paper masking on Corian.

The lesser quality vector cutting I have experienced with the Xenetech on acrylic is the reason I have been working on an alternative vector cutting table design. There isn't much I can do about the air bar other than increase the air pressure which hasn't provided much of an improvement at pressures up to 40 PSI. Possibly an improved table will help reduce flaming along with some more experimentation with speed and power settings. I should also experiment with higher air pressure I guess to see if I can get more air to the cutting zone.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-19-2007 at 7:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Something I am working on...a new vector table machined from Corian. Its a 12" by 24" piece of Corian with a 1/4" by 1/4" grid machined with a 45 degree router bit. The resulting surface is prism shaped and allows the air to flow unrestricted directly under the material being cut. My experience is that Corian won't flash when the laser beam hits it. The prism points are very sharp thus there is very little contact at the points but there are lots of points for support. The depth of machining is 1/4".

The picture below was generated by VCarve Pro, I should have the first vector table cut and ready to test this weekend.

Please keep me posted on this. I have lots of Corian in the shop and this might be the easiest long term solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Air assit , properly directed should actually stopp flashback or flaming damage.

Apart from that , most flashback occurs with honeycomb tables where the cells are slightly deformed , you can make a tool to "restore" the cells and make sure the walls and lips are exactly perpendicular to the workpiece
    Rodne, have adjusted the air assist to the best of my ability. Some of the cells are deformed and this is probably the main cause of the flashback. I'll try to restore those that are mishappen.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post

Paper masking tape will cause flaming even when raster engraving on the Xenetech at higher power settings...mostly when engraving deep text on Corian signs so I try to adjust my paint fill procedure when I can to eliminate using a paper masking on Corian.

Keith, I have had the same issue with paper masking tape - especially the type that comes on acrylic.

Thanks to all for your replies. My first step today will be to elevate the peice as several of you suggested. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

I couldn't get back to y'all last night because I had to be committed . . . uh, I mean I had a commitment - yeah, that's it.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Belinda,
    I sent you a PM

Brian
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Thanks Brian. I e-mailed you.

Bella Terra

Lee, I have cut acrylic in the past with mask on the bottom only, with good results. The current application requires that I either keep the original paper protection on, or protect both sides with another material. There are several steps the pieces go through after I have cut them and there can be absolutely no scratches, etc., when the end product is delivered to the client. The Sticky Mickey works well, but I would like to avoid removing the original protectant.

I'm having some issues this a.m. also in that the speed/power settings that worked yesterday afternoon don't work this a.m. So, I am back to square one. It is very frustrating that I can find no consistency in speed/power settings and must run one (sometimes more) test pieces every bloomin' time I crank the laser up.

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Lee, I have cut acrylic in the past with mask on the bottom only, with good results. The current application requires that I either keep the original paper protection on, or protect both sides with another material. There are several steps the pieces go through after I have cut them and there can be absolutely no scratches, etc., when the end product is delivered to the client. The Sticky Mickey works well, but I would like to avoid removing the original protectant.
    Fair enough, but every source I have recommends removing the factory covering and (possibly) replacing it with something more appropriate.

(Of course, with the cheap stuff I use, the "original protectant" is some kind of clingy plastic saran-wrap stuff...I don't even want to know what would happen if I ran that through the laser. )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Fair enough, but every source I have recommends removing the factory covering and (possibly) replacing it with something more appropriate.

(Of course, with the cheap stuff I use, the "original protectant" is some kind of clingy plastic saran-wrap stuff...I don't even want to know what would happen if I ran that through the laser. )
    I'm using Acrylite which comes with a brown paper coating, which is highly susceptible to burn! I may have to remove the top paper, cut, cover again, and cut away the protectant I don't need. This ol' dog is trying very hard to learn new tricks!

Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 06-19-2007 at 1:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Bella Terra