Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Someone to Make Sugar Maple Drum Shells

Chuck, you're hillarious, LOL... Everyone needs someone like you around. The only problem is, I don't know how much popcorn is going to help, I think the post has just about exhausted itself.

hi, david--

interesting concept.

i've enjoyed reading your enthusiastic posts, and some of the comments that have been made in return.

so far, it seems like there was one poster that looked like he had the knowledge and equipment to handle a job this size. i believe that he had a pattern maker's lathe. unfortunately, it sounded like his hands were already full with other work.

i did a quick search of the thomas register and looked for "pattern makers". here is the link to what i found.

http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.htm...sec=prodsearch

you may be able to explore in more detail beyond this link.

i think that you are correct in your stated approach. you need to find someone who already has the time, tools and talent to pull this off - the tools being the biggest obstacle. there's lots of talent on this forum, but your drum project is probably beyond the scope of what tools most folks have at their disposal. a pattern making shop may already have all of the tooling and fixturing required for similar work, so there would be minimal specialty tooling required up front for your project. that would also mean that there would be less up front capital required on both ends. since pattern makers often work in wood, they may already have a source for kiln dried stock, or at a minimum, access to a kiln.

just some food for thought.

gotta go home, now. i'll be following the thread later this evening.

good luck.
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

Thank you Jeff, I really appreciate the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    Someone pass the popcorn please. I've got a feeling this is going to get good.

Chuck.....I wouldn't be buying any Reddenbacher stock just yet.....more than one moderator is watching this thread!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

David,
    If the image loads, this is what I meant about the single glue joint way back when
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ted, thanks for putting some energy into this. OK, so if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting to cut the different shells out with some kind of deep saw blade (separating them that way). I couldn't call it a "True Solid" shell then, and I fear there would be too much controversy and explaining to do over why I did it that way. What I am endeavoring to do is not use any glue at all.

Why couldn't you simply pilot a deep hole in-between the first and second shell and start cutting that way? That would work, wouldn't it? I don't want to cut into the shells. I know you guys might be thinking, "who cares, you would hardly see the seam..." or something similar, but I just don't want to do it that way. Keeping the shell as a true solid drum is integral to my marketing strategy.

David,
    That was Steve Wilsons suggestion from yesterday. Made sense to me.

Do they really turn them?

Sound to me like (maybe better never than late with this thread) it would be easier to make the drums using steam bent flat boards (thicknessed and profiled as detailed in pics) that are bent into a round form (like the rings for the heads he has already). Then, when dry, cut to establish the right length (circumference) and glue the edges together.

The largest, 22" diameter (roughly 70" circumference), would have 6 glue lines if 12" wide stock were used. The cost would probably be more like $500 to $800 per drum with less waiting and way fewer unknowns and limitations. Not trying to pee on the parade but I would make them this way if it were me. I cant imagine that even the most trained ear could ever tell the difference with just 6 glue lines. It could also be done with a CNC machine but the drying, the cracking. Too many variables again.

THis is a fun thread. Good conversation and real talk, no banter.

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I've been reading too. And I have actually spoken with David about this on the phone. Why? Because I enjoy the mental exercise of thinking a problem through the entire process to identify the pitfalls and wanted to cut to the chase. And from a technical and mechanical perspective those obstacles are numerous. But I firmly believe that a basic tenet of wood turning is that problem solving is a must-have skill set. And as such, whatever those issues may be, there are undoubtedly methodologies to be discovered that will mitigate them. But that's not what I perceive to be broken here.

The problem here is that assigning a monetary value to the endeavor is actually only the second biggest hurdle to clear. The R&D costs will be enormous and the ongoing cost of satisfying QC will be stratospheric. So much so that I now see this as a non-starter for most folks. And for those who do possess the gear and talent to repeatedly produce these cylinders to exacting standards are either too busy to bother, or will be too pricey for David's pocketbook.

However, the really big issue is one I hadn't considered until I began reading the linked sites and surfing onward from them. What I've gleaned is that those few people who are producing the highest quality cylinders for this niche market are not only wood craftsmen but musicians too. The guy up in Newfoundland has it right. He works with the drummer to develop specs and then pulls from a vast inventory to custom produce the cylinder based on those specs and desired qualities. He does all this in house and has his own eyes, his own ears, and his own hands influencing every step.

Sadly, I just don't see how these cylinders can become a simple outsourced component. They are the very heart and soul of the finished product.

So, David. Here's my suggestion. Learn to turn these yourself. Invest the time, resources, and energy into your dream so that one day a Loewen Drum will indeed come from your shop and your hands, not just your assembly facility.

I trust you will accept these words as an honest assessment from someone who would actually love to see this fly - and is thoroughly tone deaf.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 06-20-2007 at 12:23 AM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    - and is thoroughly tone deaf.
    it's from eating too much ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter View Post
    it's from eating too much ice cream.
    Pat...........I think it's from drinking those Moxie floats......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    The problem here is that assigning a monetary value to the endeavor is actually only the second biggest hurdle to clear. The R&D costs will be enormous and the ongoing cost of satisfying QC will be stratospheric. So much so that I now see this as a non-starter for most folks. And for those who do possess the gear and talent to repeatedly produce these cylinders to exacting standards are either too busy to bother, or will be too pricey for David's pocketbook

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    It cuts into their own business too far, and that is one of the reasons I think you are not seeing a response here. I'm not interested, because it would take away from my regular business way too much for a very risky venture. And, the worst part of it is, it might take off, and I would be stuck doing it whether or not I wanted to for who knows how long.

There are people who will have the equipment to do this. What you need to do is find someone who has not just that, but the inclination as well, and I think that is going to be the hard part.
    Same sense, different syntax. I was not drinking Moxie when I posted mine though.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    So, David. Here's my suggestion. Learn to turn these yourself. Invest the time, resources, and energy into your dream so that one day a Loewen Drum will indeed come from your shop and your hands, not just your assembly facility.
    Well Said Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine View Post
    ...And, the worst part of it is, it might take off, and I would be stuck doing it whether or not I wanted to ...

Just caught up on this thread. And this struck me as hilarious.

I hope you make it work, David. And when you do, come back and post pictures!
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by David Loewen View Post
    Why couldn't you simply pilot a deep hole in-between the first and second shell and start cutting that way?
    Band saws have a continuous loop, so there would be no way to get the blade into the hole.
    -------

David, I just read Andy's very thoughtful post and I have to agree with him after thinking about it for awhile. Practically speaking, and to get the quality you undoubtedly design (and yes, I'm a musician, although not active), you'll want to be in complete control over the entire process as that fellow he describes is. I also think you need to "step into the vortex"...as they say around here...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-20-2007 at 9:26 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...