Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scooterboard, a good find in material?

Scooterboard, a good find in material?

I've been looking for something that will hold up outside that's not metal, so I can cut it with the laser. So far, my search has been only moderately successful. However, at the trade show last week, there was a guy in a booth with only one product. It was called "Scooterboard".

It looks like mdf sandwiched between two pieces of formica. It's about 3/16" thick (actually around .200"). He had samples that had been completely submerged in water for a month and showed no signs of swelling or breaking down and coming apart.

I asked him if you could laser it and he pulled out a couple of samples with all the laser manufacturers logos on them. He said you can put vinyl on it, laser it and color fill it, or just about anything else you wanted to do.

I forgot to ask him how it vector cut.

I researched it a little on the internet and most people seem pretty positive about it.

It's quite cheap as well. It runs less than $4 for an 18" x 24" piece. It just came in, I put some text and a shape on it and hit the button. It engraves beautifully. Nice and sharp edges and all the smoke damage from vector cutting wipes right off, clean as a whistle (how clean is a whistle anyway?).

It comes in a variety of colors as long as they are white

Attached is a quick sample of it.

The website is http://www.woodcraftmanufacturing.com . I won't recommend a supplier because I wasn't thrilled with the people I got it from, but either look around or call these people and see if it's something you might use.

I don't know if it'll end up being what I was looking for, but from this first cutting of it, I can say that I REALLY REALLY like the way it cuts. I think my vector speed was 9 or 10 with power of 100% and it clearly cut through, so I can start bumping up the speed from there. Rastered at 60S/80P and it just cut through the outside surface. Might go up on power a little.

Anyone else tried it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I can say that I REALLY REALLY like the way it cuts.
    Scott,
    Thanks for the tip. The URL you posted gave very little information; is that from whom you bought it?
    I tried to google it and came up with nothing. How did you research it? Were you able to come up with a list of distributors?
    On your photograph, was that cut out with your 45watt Epilog?
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

I just found 1 source for the material. I would like to find someone out here in Washington that sells the stuff..... Prices look pretty good.

http://www.rjsign.com/Merchant2/merc...y_Code=SCOOTER
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

Roy, I didn't list the source, which was RJ Sign. They bothered me a little when I ordered it, as it gives a price for 1-9 sheets on their online store, and it openly lets you buy 1-9 sheets. After ordering it, I got an email from someone there telling me I had to buy a minimum of 10 sheets.

I thought that was a less than professional way to sell something. If it's available in 10 sheets on more, then change your website to reflect it.

Yes, I did cut it out with the 45 watt machine. It clearly cut all the way through with ease. If you want to try it, I have no problem cutting something like a 8" x 10" piece and stuffing it in a padded envelope and mailing you a sample. I'll do that for a couple people, if you want, but don't want to get into having to mail a dozen of them out.

If you're interested, post on this thread and let me know. I'll limit it to 3 or 4 people who are really interested.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

5. I tried it yesterday. It engraves beutifully, color fill was great since the white surface is very resistent to stain. But it was very difficult to cut-a lot of flameing and hard permanent residue.

Quote Originally Posted by c baumwell View Post
    But it was very difficult to cut-a lot of flameing and hard permanent residue.
    Really? I didn't have any flaming issues and all residue wiped right off with a cloth and citrus based cleaner, for me. What settings did you use and what wattage machine did you use?

Anyone know anything about this supplier?

http://www.woodcraftmanufacturing.co...-products.html

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

8. Hi Scott
    I have a 30 watt ULS and had to make 2 passes at 50% power and a speed of 1.5. Note however I have no air assist which contributes to the problem. I was surprised that the residue didn't wipe off also.
    Clyde

Joe, that's the people who make it.

c - Gotcha, that makes sense on why we had two different experiences.

Source for scooterboard

Denco Sales is the distributor in Portland, Oregon. You can reach them at 503-235-0460.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'll do that for a couple people, if you want, but don't want to get into having to mail a dozen of them out.
    Scott,

An offer I can't refuse! If I'm still below your limit, please send me a sample of it:
    Roy Brewer
    Engraving Concepts
    311 W ABram St
    Arlington TX 76010

I still can't figure out how you guys are finding suppliers; the manufacturer doesn't seem to list them. Anybody see a Texas area supplier on a list?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Brewer View Post
    Scott,

I still can't figure out how you guys are finding suppliers; the manufacturer doesn't seem to list them. Anybody see a Texas area supplier on a list?
    Roy,
    if you email Jim Graham woodcraft@fuse.net
    with your address He will give you the nearest distributer.
    I'm waiting for a reply from him now.

jack Halley
    Forsyth, Mo.

Pinnacle M 30w

Texas distributors.

This is probably old news, but I got a quick reply this morning from Jim Lindsey at "ScooterBoards" and this link is to a company that distributes in several cities in Texas, also New Orleans and Atlanta.

http://www.reecesupply.com/
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Scooterboard

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Welch View Post
    to a company that distributes in several cities in Texas
    Anthony,
    Thanks for the effort, but as soon as Steve(Scott) started this discussion I logged on to their web site and left them a message and never got a response.

I know they are a huge company and probably expect that if someone is not willing to download their huge catalog and find it themselves they probably are not the customers they want. So, we found other sources.

Roy,

Who are the sources you located?

Bill