Thread: Benchtop Planers - Little Space, Little Money

Benchtop Planers - Little Space, Little Money

I am a fairly new woodworker looking to buy a planer. I have a limited amount of space in my shop, so a smaller planer is what I need. I have found that the DeWalt 735 is getting good reviews, and was well thought of at the local Woodcraft. What about Grizzly? I saw a used G0505 for about $200.00 in "like new" condition. I know that can mean different things. I am looking to spend about $500.00 and would like the best possible machine? Please give me you thoughts. Rigid? Delta? Please give me your advice.

Thanks.

I'm interested in the same thing. In my other thread, someone mentioned the Steel City 40200. I am still looking.

I love my 735 (and ordinarily I am anti-DeWalt)

I have the ridgid, it works great. I saw it at a WW show for 201 new. I bought it for 250 on a auction site.

I have the Ridgid and like it a lot. The Dewalt and Delta also get excellent reviews. Any of these would be a good choice.

I recently bought a Delta 22 580, which is a two speed, and I'm very happy with it. It was on sale at Rockler. You could likely find a good deal on one if you check around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Lambrigger View Post
    I am a fairly new woodworker looking to buy a planer. I have a limited amount of space in my shop, so a smaller planer is what I need. I have found that the DeWalt 735 is getting good reviews, and was well thought of at the local Woodcraft. What about Grizzly? I saw a used G0505 for about $200.00 in "like new" condition. I know that can mean different things. I am looking to spend about $500.00 and would like the best possible machine? Please give me you thoughts. Rigid? Delta? Please give me your advice.

Thanks.
    I've heard reports of the Delta 22-580 going in the low $200's on Amazon. I have that planer, it's a good one. The DeWalt 735 gets good reviews as well. The concern with the Grizzly would be how bad does it snipe? The older Delta 22-540 was quite a snipemaster as is the Delta Shopmaster 305 being sold today. Neither have cutterhead locks. I wouldn't recommend those unless you're willing to make accomodations for the snipe. Maybe someone has input on the Grizzly.

HTH

Curt

Makita planer

I was in the market for a "lunchbox" planer until I came accross a good deal on a used Delta 22-660. Up until then I was giving serious thought to buying the Makita 2012. The reviews on Amazon gave the Makita very high marks.

My next planer was going to be the 735 but my 733 just keeps on going, going,,,,,just like the bunny in those commercials The only controversy with the 735 is the blades, but I think they have been exaggerated.

Gary K.

I have the 735, and have only used it twice, but so far I like it. Previous experience was with 24" planers, a Delta 22470 and a Grizzly 9741 (both at a woodshop I have access to),and I was quite pleased with the 735. I have the outfeed and infeed tables.

The DeWalt 735 is pretty expensive and the tables are extra, but while I was looking on CraigsList for one, over a period of a month I found 5 times a DeWalt 735 for sale WITH the inlet/outlet tables, mounted ON a rolling table, for under $400, essentially new. So I believe there are decent deals out there on them which make it much more attactive. Also, someone on this forum just posted within the week that they actually do sharpen the planer blades for their 735 themselves without problem.
    Good luck

Blog Entries
    I'm prejudice due to limited exposure; DW735 or 734. If you have the money I would not fear the SCTW planer at all just based on posts and reputation.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have(had) a Dewalt 733. After a limited amount of usage a gear broke.It was Saturday and I couldn;t buy a new gear so I welded the old one. I bought a new one as a spare whch was never required. HOWEVER, I understand that the 735 has the SAME gear problem. Hmmm??

I owned a number of Dewalt tools and have had failures on ALL OF THEM including the corless drill and a sawzall.

No more yellow tools for me thank you. I replaced the planer with a 20 inch Grizzly. LOVE IT!!!!

Fred Mc

13. I've had the Delta 22-560 for a few years now, and it is still strong. I think it is re badged as a tp400. It has a cutterhead lock. I've had no issues at all, and the knife change was fairly easy.

I think the Ridgid is pretty good as well.

A friend has the DW734, and I've never heard a gripe.

I think the real issue is whether or not it has a cutterhead lock. Without, it will give significant snipe, unless you have good infeed and outfeed support for the length of the stock.

The little Griz might be fine, but $200 used isn't much of a bargain IMHO. It doesn't have a cutterhead lock AFAIK, and the dust chute is a $20 option....to me those are the two most essential features on a planer. That doesn't mean the 0505 won't work, but it's likely to snipe more and make a big mess without the DC chute. If that's the price range you want to stay in, the Delta TP305 is priced similarly and should be available locally.

The DW734, 735, Delta TP400LS, 22-580, Ridgid, and Makita are all very well thought of. Sometimes sale prices put them below $300, which is more money but is money well spent in comparison for the added features you get.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....