Thread: Remote Switch Questions for PM 3520A

Remote Switch Questions for PM 3520A

I am about to hook up a home brew remote on/off switch for my 3520A lathe.

First question is the routing of the wire from the head stock to the switch. I am thinking of routing it along the back side of the ways, around the end and below the tail stock and to the switch.

How is the factory switch wiring routed and how long is it?

What type of wire do they use? I am planning on using SJ 2-wire, 16 gauge.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

Clem

I think the wire is around 10 feet long, not sure what size it is but I know that it is the same size as what is in the wiring harness on the machine.
    I think making your own is a good idea I have the original and IMO it SUCKS!
    I will soon get a magnetic switch and change mine out!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Just wondering if you can share where you got the switch and the part numbers of the switch you purchased.

Since I have started to turn bowls, I figure I should get a remote switch so that I don't have to reach into harms way to turn off the lathe. I just spent some time looking at a couple of web sites and didn't realized that there were so many different types of switches.

Home Brew Remote Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Joe H. Davis View Post
    Just wondering if you can share where you got the switch and the part numbers of the switch you purchased.

Since I have started to turn bowls, I figure I should get a remote switch so that I don't have to reach into harms way to turn off the lathe. I just spent some time looking at a couple of web sites and didn't realized that there were so many different types of switches.
    Joe,

My switch is simply a flat panel switch, the type used in homes that fit the retangular switch plates. I was inspired by the way Darrell Feltmate used one as a foot switch on his lathe.

I installed the switch in a shallow plastic outlet box and glued a couple rare earth magnets to the back of the box. This can be placed anywhere on the lathe and it has worked very well. I painted the "OFF" half of the switch red. The switch only controls the low voltage control circuit so there is very little current on the switch so it should last indefinately. I can take a picture of mine if you would like. Just let me know.

Wiring the switch is simple, if you have a little electrical knowledge. If you don't let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Here is how Darrell did it. http://www.aroundthewoods.com/switch.shtml

Clem

Remote switch, PM

Just my 2 cents worth, I bought a PM remote last winter, it lasted about 6 weeks before it died, PM replaced it with another one, about 30 days it died. After another phone call, they sent me a 3rd switch. Looks the same as the first 2, I haven't put it on yet.

How many do they have to replace before PM finds a better switch, this is the only problem I have had in about 15 months use of my 3520B.

Time to make my own switch, I think.

Thanks

Jim Sample

Clem,
    I shouold do the same for my Delta because of how poorly the factory original is located.

Guys,
    It sounds like everyone is having problems with the PM3520 remote switch reliability. My buddy can't use his 3520A lathe from time to time because of the issue with the second switch you mention. I told him to either remove the remote switch or rewire the switch so that it's a parallel circuit rather than a series circuit. The parallel circuit allows either switch to turn on the machine regrdless of the postion of the second switch after the modification.

FYI-PM does this for safety but the reliability issue makes it useless.

Good luck,
    Dick

On my 3520B I'm having no problem with the remote switch. It's magnetic and I've attached it on the side at the tailstock end. It's real handy to turn on/off from there. Both switches do have to be on for it to run. But either can turn it off. Did they change the switch for the B?

Jim

Switch Found.

Well, I wanted the mushroom switch as the last thing I would want to do when things go awry is to be trying to fiddle with a regular switch.

I happen to come up on a Grainger catalog at work and realized that we had one of their stores just down the street. So I found in their catalog PN: 6HK37 which is a mushroom, push/pull button with contacts, along with plastic enclosure, although I believe it is a bit on the costly side. I already have a round magnet from another project so hopefully I have everything that I need. I will try to wire everything up this weekend and see how everything goes.