Thread: OT-Any Plumbers here?

OT-Any Plumbers here?

I will try to explain this as best I can so hopefully it will make sense. Kitchen sink, right side, copper pipe goes down to plastic goose neck, about the middle of the copper pipe was a welded/solder connection of a 1/2" copper line coming from the dishwasher, part of the run from the dishwasher is copper not the entire thing. I was changing the faucet last night and I hit that 1/2" pipe near the connection and it busted loose. So now I can't use that drain because water would come out.

My question: I wont solder it back myself so I am considering just calling a plumber and have them do it. I considered cutting the copper pipe above and below the old connection and inserting a plastic/rubber Y of some sort. I didn't know if they even make a Y with a large main diameter for the drain that would have a 1/2" dia stem on it for he dishwasher connection

I haven't messed with plumbing much so I know very little about the subject.

Seems like the easist thing, if I undestand the question, is to do it like mine. For about $2 you can get the plastic Y to connect to the drain on the sink, with the outlet for the dishwasher, then use rubber hose from it to the dishwasher.

Otherwise I think I've seen the plastic 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/2" Y's at the home centers or plumbing supplies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Seems like the easist thing, if I undestand the question, is to do it like mine. For about $2 you can get the plastic Y to connect to the drain on the sink, with the outlet for the dishwasher, then use rubber hose from it to the dishwasher.

Otherwise I think I've seen the plastic 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/2" Y's at the home centers or plumbing supplies.

Thanks Joe, I will have to look for one of those it was to late for the store last night.

I may be a bit late on this but....Aaron, Joe hit it on the head. The tailpiece that he shows in his drawing is exactly what you're looking for. You local hardware/big box store will have it. It's a common item used in sinks that don't have a garbage disposal to hook up the DW to. I would suggest that you also pick up any corresponding connecting nuts if the tailpiece doesn't come with one.

hth
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.