Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: I was trying to avoid posting this - General jointer damaged by ???

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin View Post
    You shouldn't have to work this hard and talk to this many people just to get a company to do the right thing.
    Very well stated, Bruce.

It's obvious that the machine was damaged somewhere before being delivered and that's all that should matter in this situation.
    The day you think you know everything will be very same day you stop learning.

I just spoke to Mr. Frampton at General. He made a proposal to me that seems very reasonable. He is proposing that General provide me a floor model to replace the damaged one. General and Redmond will split the costs. I'll have to figure out a way to get the jointer up the stairs so the driver can take the damaged one back to General so it can be evaluated as to what caused the damage.

Mr. Frampton stated that he hoped he would be able to iron out the details and get back to me tomorrow.

I find this to be exceptional customer service and if it does work out this way, I will definitely be buying more General tools in the future. Well, if the CFO approves the purchases...

Stay tuned...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

480-1-M2 General 8" Jointer Display SOLD $3,049.00 $1,299.00

Yes Tim, thats true. I've stated multiple times I got it on sale. Can I ask your point?

I have been following this thread and I hope that you make out OK on it. The General is a nice jointer but it is priced near the top of the field for one of that size and type. In perfect condition, it may be worth the price, but the one you have is no better that a $600 brand "X" that you bought on EBAY with no warranty. I have dealt with Norm Frampton in the past on a problem with a friend's CS and he was most helpful. He wants it to be right and he knows that he is selling a top priced product and it needs to be right to continue to demand the price. Redmond have shot themselves in the foot and while the loss of business may be small, it is among a group of people who spend a lot of big money on power tools.

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Yes Tim, thats true. I've stated multiple times I got it on sale. Can I ask your point?
    no point.....just posting it because I figured you might be getting bombarded by PM's asking the price. I would like to hear redmunds side of this story however, as I have as well as MANY people here dealt with them on a repeat basis and found them to be an OUTSTANDING company.

But no I do not doubt your version and i do not think that the deal should allow for a damage like that. Some rust or scratches yes...but not a broken wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    480-1-M2 General 8" Jointer Display SOLD $3,049.00 $1,299.00
    I tend to like to pay $0.00 for paperweights. If they happen to weigh more than me then I would hope to be paid for the service of dealing with them.

I also bought something at the Redmond sale and nothing went wrong in shipping. In fact, they were excellent to deal with. I am glad it was not a jointer because that was a lousy crating job to say the least. I am surprised there was not more damage done. The price should not be an issue. If a piece of machinery is sold as a floor model you should expect it to have some scratches and maybe a ding or something, and to have it be slightly "used" but it should carry the full manufacturer's warranty if sold as new. It should function just as well as a spotless new one from the factory.

I'll echo Tim's comment that I've found Redmond to be and OUTSTANDING copany. Granted, I dealt with them when I lived in the Atlanta area, and never had any machinery shipped. Having said that, I'd be leery of purchasing a floor model and getting it shipped to me. That's the kind of purchase that, in my opinion, requires in-store inspection.

I've bought a few of tools from Redmond, and two of the major ones were Delta recons. One was a Delta 768 dp. Came factory boxed, no problems. The other was a Delta 14" bs - they were running a special, and my bride bought it for me as an early Christmas present. Problem was that my garage wasn't yet built. No problem for Redmond - they told me that they warehouse purchased items for folks all the time. 6 months later, when I went to pick it up, there was a glitch: it had been sold to somebody AFTER it was sold to me. Redmond's solution? They upgraded me to the X5 verion at no extra cost. The salesman even delivered it to me on his way home.

Does Redmond have my business? You bet. Would I have them ship a floor model to me? Probably not, as I now live under 5 hours from Atlanta, and am willing to drive my F-250 there for a pick up. Pus, I'll be able to inspect what's in stock. I also know that if I can and purchase a floor model, I can have them hold the best one for me so I can see it before I take it home. If I'm not happy with it, they'll get me another one - heck, they'd probably cut me such a break on a new one that the difference would be negligible.

BTW, I'm curious as to who you've dealt with. Was it Scotty, Jack, Greg?
    Maurice

The only way I could side with Redmond's is if it was sold "as is no warranty"
    I've had machinery from Grizzly damaged in shipping. Always after the damaged parts were replaced they still asked if I was happy or would I like replacement.

It's interesting reading the replies in this thread from people who've had good service from Redmond and say they will continue to purchase from them. I remember some years ago here in my home town of about 80K a very popular GMC/Pontiac dealer was caught red handed selling, "Lemon Law" cars to customers without telling them their history. That's not only very dishonest but it's also illegal. They were fined a small amount but in my opinion they should've been closed for ever. Instead, there were letters to the editor in the paper from people saying the dealership always treated them right and that they just made a mistake. Well, I guess as long as they didn't personally get screwed by the business then it's ok. The guy that robs only one liquor store can't be that bad. I mean, he didn't rob my liquor store did he? Ok, maybe that's an extreme example.

I realize that no business is perfect but some mistakes are handled so poorly that it's hard to believe that it's just an isolated incident. Some people are really forgiving, others are not. Redmond is on my fairly short list of companies that will never get my business. Oh, and so is that local car dealership.

Bruce

11. [quote=Tim Morton;602859]no point.....just posting it because I figured you might be getting bombarded by PM's asking the price.

I was wondering your point as well Tim. I will play devil's advocate here. Let's just say that Redmond clearly stated that the jointer vibrates badly, is banged up, and one of the tables is broken and cannot be aligned, nor be made parallel, basically this thing is junk/boat anchor and will cost more to rebuild than one not discounted. Or possibly they clearly stated to Gary that they will not be responsible for any damages as a result of poor packaging or improper preparation for shipment on their part. I doubt either of these to be the case, but I will go with it anyway. I doubt, seriously, that Gary, or anyone else for that matter would have moved forward with the purchase. The price, at this point, is, IMO, irrelevant. If Redmond wanted more money for the machine, they should have raised the initital price. A machine was purchased that should be operable, and safely so, and that machine was not delivered in a condition as promised. This is where the problem lies. Not in the price. I question whether it was your place to post the price. If anyone was curious about the price, they could have searched Redmond's site, and easily found the price, as I, and obviously you, have done. With all due respect. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin View Post
    It's interesting reading the replies in this thread from people who've had good service from Redmond and say they will continue to purchase from them. I remember some years ago here in my home town of about 80K a very popular GMC/Pontiac dealer was caught red handed selling, "Lemon Law" cars to customers without telling them their history. That's not only very dishonest but it's also illegal. They were fined a small amount but in my opinion they should've been closed for ever. Instead, there were letters to the editor in the paper from people saying the dealership always treated them right and that they just made a mistake. Well, I guess as long as they didn't personally get screwed by the business then it's ok. The guy that robs only one liquor store can't be that bad. I mean, he didn't rob my liquor store did he? Ok, maybe that's an extreme example.

I realize that no business is perfect but some mistakes are handled so poorly that it's hard to believe that it's just an isolated incident. Some people are really forgiving, others are not. Redmond is on my fairly short list of companies that will never get my business. Oh, and so is that local car dealership.

Bruce
    Problem with your logic is that if you stopped buying from every store that had this kind of problem you would not be able to buy anything from anyone. I feel bad that this guy is not being taken care of, but i am sure eventually he will be. Unfortunately Redmunds may have decided that it is willing to risk future sales, against losing anymore money on this transation.

If i were the owner of the company I would have complete faith in my employees that they shipped a product without a broken wing. The shipping container showed no damage.....i would be wondering if the customer banged the jointer getting it down to the basement and then claimed that it arrived that way. I would expect anyone to uncrate the jointer and then seperate it from the base prior to moving it down the stairs...and thus notice the broken wing before it was moved and before he packign material was thrown away. (buyer claimes to no longer have the packing material...very strange as anyone knows never to throw away packing material when you have damage.)

But the buyer is trying to concinve redmunds he moved the jointer to the basment with the packing material in tack and then uncrated it and threw away all the packing material before then noticing the damage and then noticing the motor did not run properly. It seems like its possible something other than the buyers story is possible.

AGAIN....this is not what i am saying has happnened...i am just saying that this might be what redmunds is thinking....

I'll have to figure out a way to get the jointer up the stairs so the driver can take the damaged one back to General so it can be evaluated as to what caused the damage.

Deliver that thing up the stairs the same way it was delivered to you, Roll it up there. Might hurt the floor though.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Deliver that thing up the stairs the same way it was delivered to you, Roll it up there. Might hurt the floor though.
    Um, nope. If I ding the floor or mess up the finish, then I have to deal with SWMBO. I'd rather try to carry that thing up the stairs with my teeth.

Cool

I just spoke to Mr. Frampton at General. ...Mr. Frampton stated that he hoped he would be able to iron out the details and get back to me tomorrow.

I find this to be exceptional customer service and if it does work out this way...

Stay tuned...
    Gary, that is certainly good news. We have a great company, Eagle Tools, here in Los Angeles that has super service. Their major line of tools is General. I'm very glad to hear that General is helping to assist with your problem. Since I've had great dealings with Eagle Tools, it's comforting to hear that the maker of the tools they sell stands behind their machines as well. Thanks for keeping us all posted. If this is resolved to your satisfaction with the assistance of General I will definately consider their tools for my future needs.

Mr. Frampton, welcome to Sawmill Creek.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps