Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is CLTT ??

1. What is CLTT ??

I saw a few threads referencing a process called CLTT. What is this ? would someone care to elaborate.

Much thanks
    Tom
    Explorer II 30W & Corel V12

2. Just now found my answer:

CLTT is short for Color Laser Toner Transfer. It utilizes the toners that come with the laser printers, not specially formulated sublimation toners or inks.

It works quite well for coasters and tiles, but the limiting factor is that the largest size you can print (limited by paper size) is 11 X 17, so 12 X 12 tiles are out. The largest that can practically be done are 8" X 10"

Tom

I think there are several other threads relating to this so a search might turn up some better info but here it is short and sweet.

CLT is color laser toner, the extra T is for transfer.

Using a color laser printer made by Okidata or Konica Minolta and commercial transfer paper supplied by MagicTouch or Cactus Graphics you make your images. They are normally mirrored and you apply the image to your substrate via a heat press.

There are several kinds of paper for different substrates but the two most common are for hard surface and for fabrics.

This process should not be confused with dye sublimation which is quite different and requires a polymer or polymer coated substrate.

The CLTT process is one I've been using for several years for name tags, awards, t-shirts, brass plates Etc. It is reliable and easy to use. It is also not expensive. A printer can be purchased for as little as $300. You must have a heat press.

Some people do mugs with this process though I do not.

Besides the features I mentioned earlier you can use this process on virtually any substrate so it's very versatile.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-04-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: sp
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

4. Thanks Mike,
    I've been wanting to branch out a little from the usual granite/marble lasered tiles and thought this CLTT process might just be the ticket. It sounds a lot less expensive than the sublimation process I was looking into. The printer sounds very reasonable as does the heat press. So far I'm thinking of buying the ,Knight 12X14 Jet press Swinger, heat press JP14. Looks like a good price ( under $500 ) and easy to use. This whole CLTT process looks a lot more inviting to someone on a budget than the sublimation end, It would be worth the small investment. How do coaster's on tiles hold up? do they scratch or fade given the expected usage?

Thanks
    Tom

Tom
    My printer is an older Panasonic and I do not do things which I suspect are going to get hard wear. But Mick Eminger at Cactus Graphics will provide some samples for you and I believe you'll be impressed. He uses the two brands I mentioned earlier and I believe that they may have a toner that adheres better than mine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If you're going to do items that might be close to the edges of the heat press you mentioned, you might want to get a slightly larger one. I haven't done any of this yet, but in reading up on both sublimation and CLTT, it sounds like it's best to have a heat press that isn't right at the height or width of your maximum item, but is larger since the heat won't be as good right at the edges.
    Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

It is also critical to have both foam and silicone pads which tend to spread the heat of the press more evenly without burning the paper.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Tom:
    I am into CLTT. If your on a budget, an Okidata 3400 laser printer is OK. About $400.00. If you have a couple of hundred more, go for a Konica Minolta 5450 Magicolor, about $600. I use Cactus paper, $58 a hundred sheets for hard goods. I have a more expensive heat press. I could have gotten by with something cheaper but it's a nice press, Hotronix 16x20 Swingaway digital about $1500.00 The silicone rubber pads are kind of pricey. I just bought one that covers the whole heat press platen for bigger items, about $150.00. Transfers to 8x10 pieces of aluminum etc need to be covered, so I just covered the bases with one big enough for the whole press. I have done transfers so far to metal, wood and leather. We also bought some mug wraps and we did a few mugs. It works good. Post baked the metal stuff we did and no way would it scratch with your fingernail. Very hard finish.
    Hope this wasn't too long and good luck with it if you get into it.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

How about a zerox phaser?

I'm intrigued with the CLTT. I do dye sub now, but it is expensive and haven't had consistant luck with full color photo sublimation. Am I right to think that the transfer will look pretty similar in color as the copy? Also if I do mugs (standard glazed that you can by pretty cheaply) will it hold up to dishwashing? I use a Zerox Phaser 6300 (toner based) for short run publishing projects and was curious if that will work. Any help with this as well as time and temperature involved would be appreciated!

Thanks

Marty

Larry
    Could you post some pics of the transfers on wood? I been wanting to get into this for some time but just cant afford it yet. Also, what didnt you like about the okidata? I can get the Okidata c5500n here for $600. Havent looked around here for the other one you mentioned.thanks.

Marty:
    Contact Mick at:
    Cactus Equipment & Supplies, LLP
    463 28½ Road Unit A
    Grand Junction, CO 81501
    970-241-3011 Local 970-244-8475 Fax Toll Fee 800-440-6847

mick.eminger@gmail.com
    I think he has been testing the Xerox printers and I'm sure he said they work. Tell him I told you to call him. It's a toll free and Mick is very helpful. Good guy.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Rick:
    I didn't do this one, but here's an example. I think Mick at Cactus did this one.
    The Oki didn't print some blues the way I needed them. Plus the 3400 is more of a consumer printer than others. The KM gives excellant results and is about the same price as the 5500n you speak of. You can get it from Printer Showcase http://www.printershowcase.com/ in Atlanta.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Larry

thanks for the info , i had done some research since i read your original post. The link you gave is the best price yet. That pic of the transfer on wood looks real good. Appreciate all your input, i think i will follow your advice on the 5450. I see you have a warthog, i have a shopbot alpha. Might see if i can locate your phone number and give you a call sometime. I also see you have enroute. I went with artcam pro. Just got an email from enroute. Kinda curious.

Joined the fun

Just got my Konika 5450 today and have a 16 x 20 GK swinger heat press. Paper showed up too. Time to get to work.

That color wood plaque sold me.

AL

Thanks for the info Larry, I'm in the middle of a big project right now but I will definetly drop him a line!

Thanks
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!