Thread: Tool Shopping

Tool Shopping

My daughter graduated from HS this past weekend, and I had a most pleasurable time shopping for a dorm/apartment tool kit to get her started. As I told a clerk at one of the checkouts, I'm not going to let her show up like a girl!

Took care to select tools that would fit her (13 oz hammer, smaller pliers & vice grips, adjustable wrench, tape rule, appliance level, etc), and also didn't buy her anything I wouldn't put in my own toolbox. She's now nicely set up for picture hanging, centering things, and the occasional bicycle or bed frame adjustment, whatever.

The gift was very favorably received and I got the pleasure of giving her something that she will have memories of when she uses it in 15 years. I did catch her boyfriend eyeing up her Channel Lock needle nose pliers...

Its a great gift. My daughter took a similar tool kit with her some 20 years ago. On move in day at the dorm, she was the hit of the floor. It looked like a lending library with all the fathers and students borrowing tools.

George
    2B1ASK1

Good Story

As a father of two girls and two boys, I can appreciate your posting. My children are young and a little ways off from college, but I hope to remember what you did for your daughter and try to repeat it for mine when they leave the house.

Jim, you did great! My Dad did the same thing when I left for college, 30 years later I still have those tools and use them often, as well as his lathe. Very nice gift, and precious memory your daughter will carry for the rest of her life. Way to go! Jude

Yup, gave my daughter a nice set of hand tools and she uses them frequently. Gave her a set of carving chisels a few days ago and she has been cutting away. She's only 12 but loves the hands on stuff