Thread: Building garden storage box with box store materials

Building garden storage box with box store materials

I am fixing to start on building a storage box to put in the yard so my kids can put their toys in there and keep the place looking a little less Romper Roomish. My wife wants it done pronto, and for ease, I am wanting to build it with materials that I can buy at either Home Depot or Lowe's.

It will probably be four or so feet long, maybe three wide, maybe three deep? I may modify those measurements if I figure out that I'll be wasting too much material.

So, if you were to build such a box, what materials would you use? I'm thinking pressure treated pine for the frame, but what would you make the panels or slats out of?

What about building it like a mini-shed.

Use a PT floor and regular walls and barn siding. Shouldn't be to hard to figure something like that.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    What about building it like a mini-shed.

Use a PT floor and regular walls and barn siding. Shouldn't be to hard to figure something like that.

Joe
    My wife wants it in the front yard, so it has to be "pretty."

Quote Originally Posted by Darl Bundren View Post
    My wife wants it in the front yard, so it has to be "pretty."

everyone has a different definition of pretty...maybe think about using some of the plastic deck material...or does "pretty" mean cedar shakes and lots of lanscaping around it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    everyone has a different definition of pretty...maybe think about using some of the plastic deck material...or does "pretty" mean cedar shakes and lots of lanscaping around it?
    I've actually thought about making the panels with cedar slats nailed in and then putting a section of that plastic lattice they sell over it, cut to size so it would fit within the panel size. Maybe green lattice over stained cedar. Set the panels in some so the lattice would lay almost flush with the frame.

I had thought about that composite deck planking they sell, but it is pricey; plus, it doesn't have much stiffness to it.

There is T11 (I think that's it) plywood siding that could be used for the main box, then cedar shingles or copper sheet for the top/roof.
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

What I was thinking was something along the lines of a mini-shed. Kinda like a playhouse is built like a mini-house.

Put a shed roof with the low side about 4' high and a pair of doors in the front, trimmed out to look like an old style barn. Red paint and white trim and all.

Maybe that is bigger that you were thinking but could look very nice, depending on your area. At my place it would fit right in, if you live in the city it may look a little strange.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"