Thread: Router making funny noise?????

Router making funny noise?????

Got a router table with a used black & Decker delux router model 7616 tonight. bought it from the neighbor for 35 beans, problem is when i turn the router off and the motor is winding down the motor sounds kinda rough(grumbles) this is an older router and the collett area looked a little dirty(rusty) i cleaned it up but still grumbling. I have never owned an older router is this common or does it sound like a problem? If so can you think of what and a soloution....Brushes? bearings? can it be fixed???? truth is even though it's a cheaper router it feels as bout as good as any router i have ever handled(think i have cheap taste or something) anyway if at all possible i really would like to salvage the router even though i only gave 35 dollars for it??????Please help all knowing ones

Sounds like bearings especially if it vibrates with a bit in it,
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Sounds like bearings especially if it vibrates with a bit in it,
    Mark
    Can they be replaced?????

In my experience, the most likely failure in a router is the front bearing -- the one nearest the collect. I rarely go more than two years without needing to replace one.

With the power off, try rotating the motor shaft with your fingers. If it feels smooth, the bearing is okay. If it feels like there's grit in the bearing, the bearing is shot. You can get a shop to repair it, but you'll spend more than you paid for the router. You can probably replace it yourself. I've replaced front bearings on at least five different makes of routers. The bearing itself will cost $5 or so. Take the router apart, remove the bearing, and take it with you to a tool repair shop. If it is a B&D shop, it may well have the bearing on hand. I