Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for 8" Jointer

We have a 6" PM at work and I am astounded at how poorly it holds adjustment. We have to adjust it far too often and even then the tables don't get parallel. We also have the PM 15" spiral planer, which is quiet, but has it's problems too. Before working with these two I thought PM was high end, but now I'm not so sure. CHRIS

Pat,
    I would wait a few days and check your local used tool market! I was going to buy the 8" Grizzly that rated well in a recent review of 8" jointers, but then I found an UNUSED Delta DJ20 with a mobile base on Craigslist. I got the thing for $700 with the base!

I just pulled down the Denver craigslist, and here is a DJ20 and some other 8" jointers you could pick up tomorrow:
    http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/336934995.html $899, could probably get it for 600-700

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/336931102.html DELTA UNISAW WITH BEISEMEYER FENCE 2005 MODEL - $1300
    MODEL 36R31X BC 50 SELLS NEW FOR $1995 MOBILE BASE, DATO SET, EXTRA BLADES, THE SAW HAS NOT BEEN USED MUCH AT ALL. I ALSO HAVE A DELTA X PLANER, 8" JOINTER, AND A MORTISING MACHINE AVAILABLE AS WELL AS A SMALL DUST COLLECTOR SOME ROUTERS, AND A JET DRILL PRESS.
    970-389-0611

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/331331903.html
    several large tools, 24" bandsaw $1200.00, 10" enlon cabinet saw with extension table and precision fence $800.00, grizzly edge sander $200.00, 8" jointer, $500.00, all like new. call 720-933-8994 Bob

Thanks for the comments about Powermatic. I guess they're not what they used to be.

I plan to call Shop Fox again and ask if there's another dealer in Colorado. If not, I'll call the first dealer back and ask if they can drop their price. They don't have any SF jointers in stock, so they're not really motivated to move them out the door. I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the used links, Dave. I've been looking at that Delta 8" jointer. I think he wants too much for it. He's had it on the market for a couple weeks. Personally, I'd rather pay just under $900 for a new tool than just under $800 used.

Again, I appreciate all the help, everyone. I have been doing research online; on other threads here and web sites elsewhere. This combined with your comments is making this purchase much more interesting.

Question: Machinery Distributors and Bibb Tool ship to a local loading dock. Does Grizzly do the same, or will they ship to my home? I'm somewhat weary of dealing with an unknown loading dock. If the tool is damaged, it's up to the shipping company, and not the dealer, to make it right.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 05-31-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Grizz will ship right to your door. But depending on the carrier you may have to pay extra for Lift Gate service. My G0593 came via Saia Transport and they didn't charge me any extra for Lift Gate, but I did have to wait a couple extra days.

Kim

I ordered my 1741 from Bibb Tool a few months ago and got it delivered for $700. This was during a sale with free freight and right before the manufacturer imposed a price increase. It seems that most distributors have increased the price. You might want to ask your local dealer if they could match the online price.

The G0586 is 8", just a little less power and more difficult to adjust than it's big brother. I adjusted mine once when I got it and have left it alone since, so I'm not sure how big of an issue that really is.

You might be able to get a nice deal on a jointer from Wilke, as it seems they may not be manufacturing machinery anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Spence View Post
    ...I have the Grizzly G0593, same as Greg's G0586 with addition of Grizzly's brand of carbide cutterhead. I love this machine....

...The G0593 is on sale now for $1068 delivered to your door...
    Another vote for the GO593. Great machine.

Cary

Pat, I bought my Shop Fox bandsaw from Bibb and had no problem. While I'm not certain how the freight details work if you pick it up at the terminal and it appears damaged you can refuse delivery. I would check with the seller to see what their policy is on taking care of those kinds of issues.

Grizzly is famous for sending new parts or new machines altogether when something arrives damaged. Pay with a credit card and you always have the recourse of a charge-back if it were to come to that.

One more reason why I drove 2 hours to get my 1741; just to have a dealer to hold accountable should anything be badly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    - Shop Fox 8" Jointer: $886 on Amazon.com
    - Jet JJ-CS 8" Jointer: $999 at my local Woodcraft
    - Powermatic 60B 8" Jointer: $1,199 at store in Denver
    Just an FYI:
    That Shop Fox jointer can be bought from Bibb Tool for $886.66 with free shipping:
    http://www.bibbtool.com/shop-paralle...ase-p-746.html

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a Shop Fox W1741 8" jointer. This tool is probably a little more than what I need right now. I was considering getting a slightly less expensive model with a smaller motor and without parallelogram beds. However, I expect the W1741 will last me the rest of my life with no, "I should have got a ..." regrets to come later. Thanks for the help, everyone.

I ordered the jointer from Bibb tool. The woman I talked to there was very friendly and helpful. She even checked the inventory and called me right back in order to give me an accurate delivery date. Let's hope the delivery goes just as well.

Now I just have to get going on wiring my shop for 220V.

10. I just bought a 6" Rockwell in perfect condition for $175 cash money for my little work. It's about a 1950s vintage, and weighs about 250 pounds (real cast iron). It has a 120/230v motor and cuts like a champ, nice and smooth with no vibration.

I would encourage anyone to seek out really high quality vintage tools of any size before plunking down outrageous prices for imported stuff of marginal quality.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raymond View Post
    I just bought a 6" Rockwell in perfect condition for $175 cash money for my little work. It's about a 1950s vintage, and weighs about 250 pounds (real cast iron). It has a 120/230v motor and cuts like a champ, nice and smooth with no vibration.

I would encourage anyone to seek out really high quality vintage tools of any size before plunking down outrageous prices for imported stuff of marginal quality.

But that's just me.
    Jeff - Congrats on finding a good deal on some vintage iron! Vintage tools have appeal not only because of their quality but because of their history, interesting to think of all the stuff produced on them! I'd like to find a vintage Unisaw to restore...to go along with my newer imported Unisaw and SawStop. I own a shop full of imported tools that I feel I paid a reasonable price for and the quality is better than marginal. Just my opinion.

And Pat, congrats on the SF Jointer, please post pics when it arrives!

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Raymond View Post
    I just bought a 6" Rockwell in perfect condition for $175 cash money for my little work. It's about a 1950s vintage, and weighs about 250 pounds (real cast iron). It has a 120/230v motor and cuts like a champ, nice and smooth with no vibration.

But that's just me.
    I agree Jeff. Unfortunately, there just haven't been any good used tools, let alone vintage tools, for sale in my area. I've been checking craigslist and ebay. The only promising thing I found was a Delta DJ20, but the guy wants way too much for it. I see lots of used tools for sale in New York and New England. Obviously, buying such a tool and shipping it Colorado isn't practical.

Thus, if I could find a good deal on a vintage tool nearby, I'd go for it. Since I can't, I'm buying new. Also, I really don't think the SF jointer is of marginal quality and it's pretty much impossible to buy anything which isn't imported these days (including an "American" car).

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Spence View Post
    And Pat, congrats on the SF Jointer, please post pics when it arrives!

Kim
    Thanks, Kim. Since you asked, I'll be sure to document the whole arrival and assembly process and post pics.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Triggs View Post
    Just an FYI:
    That Shop Fox jointer can be bought from Bibb Tool for $886.66 with free shipping:
    http://www.bibbtool.com/shop-paralle...ase-p-746.html
    Fine print -- only free shipping if business to business with loading dock
    It's -----
    $420.00Commercial Freight (with Liftgate)
    All you need is the delivery lowered to the ground
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

You can probably get it shipped to your nearest freight hub, and pick it up there in a pickup truck to take advantage of the free shipping. If you're thinking about buying it, you should call and ask.

Hope it works out for you...