Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for 8" Jointer

Shopping for 8" Jointer

I'm hoping to soon buy an 8" jointer for my home shop. Right now, I'm considering three models and would appreciate any input and suggestions.

- Shop Fox 8" Jointer: $886 on Amazon.com
    - Jet JJ-CS 8" Jointer: $999 at my local Woodcraft
    - Powermatic 60B 8" Jointer: $1,199 at store in Denver

That Powermatic seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I admit I don't know for certain. I always considered PM to be the "El Primo" and assumed they were out of my reach. However, if they really are such great tools, it might be worth an extra $200 over the Jet to get a PM. I could pick it up myself in Denver and save shipping costs.

I could also pick up the Jet jointer only a few minutes from my house.

The Shop Fox would require shipping costs. The same dealer in Denver which has the PM jointer is supposedly also a Shop Fox dealer, but I haven't found any Shop Fox information on their web site. I'll try to call them later today.

Thanks!

Just curious as to why Grizzly's not on your list. They get good reviews & the prices are competitive. When I upgrade to an 8"er, I'll be getting one.

No affiliation.

Good Quesion, Rob. Actually, I think I am considering Grizzly. I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression Shop Fox tools are Grizzly tools for "brick & mortar" stores; same tool, different paint. (Which seems really confusing since they're on Amazon.com.) I prefer to support my local dealers and pick it up myself, but won't pass up an especially good deal online. Thus, when considering Grizzly, I prefer to look at Shop Fox at my local dealer and Shop Fox is also what I'm finding on Amazon.com.

If my logic is flawed here, by all means, chime in.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 05-30-2007 at 2:33 PM.

I honestly don't know. I thought they were two separate manufacturers but you could be right. Maybe someone in the know will chime in.

I dunno about Griz and S. Fox, but how about looking for a used 8" PM? Some good deals can be had if you can sit tight a bit.

Ken

Oh, and thanks for the Grizzly recommendation. Their prices are very good. It's nice to know their quality is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner View Post
    I dunno about Griz and S. Fox, but how about looking for a used 8" PM? Some good deals can be had if you can sit tight a bit.

Ken
    Good suggestion, Ken. Unfortunately, I've been looking and I have seen only one used 8" jointer for sale in my entire state. That jointer is a Delta and it seems nice, but quite overpriced.

I would surely jump on a used 8" PM Jointer. I'll keep my eyes open, but I don't have much hope.

A used DJ-20 is also a good choice if you can find one at a reasonable price.

9. I am taking delivery on my ShopFox 8" W1741 w/ parellologram beds this week. You are correct, ShopFox & Grizzly are the same units, different paint. I was able to go to a local dealer and order the ShopFox for cheaper than I could get the same Grizzly model shipped to my door.

I also like the fit and finish of the SF better. As for Jet & Powermatic, I'm sure they may be better machines for agressive, daily use, but I'm a weekend warrior and couldn't justify the extra expense for something I'll probably never wear out. I would definitely look in to P-beds.
    GO POKES!!

Great info, Aaron. The Shop Fox is sounding like a very good option. I'm also more of a weekend warrior, but I certainly don't want lousy tools.

I've read a couple of descriptions of paralellogram beds, but I'm still not grasping the concept. I'll have to do more research.

PS: I get a chuckle out of your avatar. Both of my parents work for Oklahoma State University.

Please, before you buy ANYTHING, take a look at the new Steel City 8" machine. The 40605 model is $1499.99 at www.woodworker.com, and you won't find a better-built machine around, IMHO.

Just my .02.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Pat, I have the shop fox and have no complaints. I bought mine after listening to feedback here and found John Buzzurro's post to be very helpful:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=shop+jointer
    I think you should be able to find a local dealer in the Denver area.
    A couple of weeks ago I did see the Steel City that Nancy mentions and that does look like a nice machine.
    Ben
    Last edited by Benjamin Dahl; 05-30-2007 at 3:48 PM. Reason: link not working

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Please, before you buy ANYTHING, take a look at the new Steel City 8" machine. The 40605 model is $1499.99 at www.woodworker.com, and you won't find a better-built machine around, IMHO.

Just my .02.

Nancy
    Thanks, Nancy. My local Woodcraft carries Steel City tools. I'm pretty sure I caught a Steel City 8" jointer out of the corner of my eye during my last visit. I'll give it a closer look.

14. You should be able to get the Shop Fox from a local dealer for less than the price you posted from Amazon. I paid 650 for my W1741 about 6 months ago. There has been a price increase since then, but I wouldnt think it would be that much.

Pat,

I'm open to both the JET and the PM. I had a Griz BS before and it seemed like I had to constantly pull maintenance on the table due to light rust, where my other machines were fine (and no I wasn't sawing green lumber on the BS at the time). I know the BS table was small and EZ to keep up with, don't know if I would go that route with all that steel on a jointer.

I have some JET products and have been happy with them. I have more PM products and love my mustard. Rumor has it the 60 is getting a face lift from a local dealer I talked to. You may want to try and wait it out, don't know when it is due to hit the market.
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.