Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homage to Curt Schilling - PICS

I did almost the same thing 2 years ago at about the same time...wearing teva's and rooting around for a piece of wood in the shop and pulled a piece of 2x4 out of a pile....yup the one 2x4 that was holding up a sheet of 4x8 plywood. I lost the nail and it took about a full year to grow back...gave me an excuse to lay n the pool and ask my family to bring me beers

I didn't do anything...just kept it clean and let it fall off at its own pace...and soaked it hydrogen peroxide from time to time.
    PS..a sawstop might be pushing it...but maybe a guided CS?

You didn't manage to get the sock very bloody. As a middle-schooler, I was having some ingrown toenail problems. While in line for something during gym, someone stepped back and accidentally stepped on my toe. I didn't think anything more about it (it didn't hurt any more than normal)--until I took my shoe off in the locker room. HALF of the foot area of the sock was soaked in blood. Yep, I can bleed with the best of them.

I'm with the others on the hot needle trick. I haven't had to do it yet, but several of my friends have done it to their kids. Oh, and if it's red hot, you shouldn't need alcohol on it...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    PS..a sawstop might be pushing it...but maybe a guided CS?
    Okay... here's my thinking. When it happened, LOML was in the back yard. I yelled out in pain (along with those choice words I mentioned earlier). The first thought LOML has, confident as she is , is that I've cut off my hand.

"Gee, if you're really that worried about something like that, they've got this table saw that stops in an instant if the blade touches your hand. Guess what they call it. Here's the web site. Look at the video. Scary, huh?"

Oddly enough, I was looking at the Festool stuff on their web site earlier this week.

- John
    Last edited by John Hulett; 05-27-2007 at 1:31 AM.

Probably nothing Nate, but I'm a 2/3 woodshop, 1/3 metalshop type of guy, and metal objects and welding sparks do a number on my woosy toes. And as far as 'field surgery', its gonna be up to you John. Its going to hurt no more or no less, home or dr., and probably a similar chance of infection under controlled conditions. That said, its completely understood if having a nurse near by helps take your mind off it.... ...or the LOYL.

Adam Burgess Guest
    first of all, whats wrong with being a red sox fan from riverside? i am. and if you really wanted to make it a tribute to curt you would have kept working though the pain.

but seriously if you do want to get some steal toe boots check out the red wings store in the brockton arcade. i think they even sell caps that sick on any shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Burgess View Post
    first of all, whats wrong with being a red sox fan from riverside? i am. and if you really wanted to make it a tribute to curt you would have kept working though the pain.

but seriously if you do want to get some steal toe boots check out the red wings store in the brockton arcade. i think they even sell caps that sick on any shoe.
    go sox

Inexpensive shoes

OK, I agree that safe practices are best, but I also think that steel-toed shoes needn't be a joke. You can get them at Wal-Mart in anything from a sneaker style to waterproof leather boots, and most cost around only $30-35. I got some for yard work and to wear in the shop. I do occasionally drop things! Just my worthless 2 cents.

Ouch!

Ditto the steel toes, though I don't wear them (and should know better).

A couple years back, I did my first Tim Taylor impression, a trip to the ER after droping a very sharp 1 1/2" bench chisel on my sandaled second toe, which now has a nice zipper down its length.

The pain caused by that experience has caused me to be much more careful. Not the pain of the cut, that was nothing, but the sarcasm from LOML and answering my insurance company's accident questionaire, that was a pain!

UPDATE:

I opted not to do the 'field surgery.' I'll just let things take their natural course. The rest of the toe has bruised nicely now, and even migrated on to the second toe.

I did get back out there yesterday and got everyting cut that needed to be cut. The only exception is the drawer pieces are cut to width, but not to length, as I am debating on dovetails as opposed to pocket hole joinery. I basically got to the point where I should have been by the end of Saturday.

Oddly enough, working the sheetgoods was not too bad. The bad part was mowing the lawn. It seems that standing in one spot (for the most part) while working the wood was much discomforting that walking behind the mower. I ended the day yesterday with another boody sock after being on it most of the day.