Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Laser Engraving!

New to Laser Engraving!

Hi all. Im fairly new to laser engraving, but i have been experimenting... especially on granite. It took me a while to figure out that more power wasn't the way to go. Anyway, after reading a few of the posts on here i tried all sorts... coarser screen, lower power, higher power, higher speed etc. Still not perfect, but not too shabby for a beginner one week later. Plus I live in Zimbabwe so getting Granite is easy. Thanks to blokes like Frank Corker and Gary Hair who have so far imparted insights I might have taken weeks to figure out (Size is 350 x 350mm). PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT.
    DSCF0310.jpg

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0318.jpg
    These were done on an Epilog 100w Radius.
    Last edited by Conrad Granger; 05-24-2007 at 5:56 AM. Reason: forgot to mention size of granite.

Congratulations. Your work is excellent.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice work Conrad. Wow, didn't realise you live in Zimbabwe, I was born in Bulawayo!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Nice work, Conrad. We haven't tackled granite yet--but we love how LaserSketch's marble turns out.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Nice work Conrad, care to share your settings? Speed Power DPI?
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Very nice Conrad! How lucky to live so near the source of Black Absolute Z (as I know it). For a 12 x 12 tile I pay $11.70 plus shipping. Bet you pay a lot less.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Nice work Conrad. Wow, didn't realise you live in Zimbabwe, I was born in Bulawayo!
    Wow... me too, born an' raised in Skies (Bulawayo) now living in Harare... you might have known it as Salsbery though. Do you think you could get me prices for black granite in... where you are! if you dont mind. Just might be an oppotunity to export some cheaper than what you guys are paying for it. would be an ineresting comparison....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robison View Post
    Nice work Conrad, care to share your settings? Speed Power DPI?
    Hi Brian

I tried different settings for each pic. What i've learned so far is that less power seems to be the way to go (for granite at least). average resolution has been 300/400 dpi for the pix and the laser, power was about 30, speed about 60/70... i only figured that out when i did the elephant, which i think came out best, grey tone an' all! Next on my list is wood and leather (again... im lucky to have plenty raw materials around). I think leather is going to be SWEET!

A lot depends on the actual image and how you balance it before inverting and blah blah blah, and on the quality of granite.

Will update as i experiment!

Im in South Africa , surprised to hear that there is actually a laser engraver in Zim......100w nogal!!

Conrad,
    You are doing some nice work!

Gary

Conrad, I remember Salisbury very well, I lived in Bulawayo went to school in QueQue (KweKwe) before coming over to the UK in Nineteen Canteen. Granite at the moment here is not expensive, getting hold of decent black marble where I am is difficult though.

I usually purchase granite placemats which are 29.5cm x 21.0cm and buy them around £5 sterling for two. I sell them engraved at £45 and have very little shortage for buyers. They have turned out to be very popular, see below, they are a good size and I make a little stand for them to sit on made from acrylic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frank- tell me about the item holding up your sample

Frank- did you make the easle that is holding up your sample? It look like it's acrylic. Did you make the item yourself.... do you have a pattern you can share? PS- I love the artwork
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

Conrad-

WOW Conrad you have some VERY NICE items there. I'm very impressed. I haven't tried rock yet. What were your settings and did you use Corel to make the items or some other software? Oh and I'll say it again- WOW VERY NICE...
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

OT: Africa

It's a small world indeed. I have very fond memories of living in Nairobi, Kenya, for 2 years when I was 8 to 10 years old (my parents were there on a teaching contract). Malindi, Jadini, Mombassa, and the Rift Valley were my favorite places to visit. One day I hope to go back and visit again.

I recall visiting in SA (Johannesburg area) for a few days on our family's journey back to England - the last ever commercial voyage of the S.S. Kenya - we had to steam all the way around the Cape because the Suez Canal was blocked. We stopped in at the Canary Islands and Portugal as well.

Your granite tiles look fantastic Conrad! Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

Carol - no problems - Acrylic - the dimensions are included I have done it in Corel 12 in case you don't have x3
    Attached Files Attached Files