Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downdraft Sanding Table/Cabinet?

Downdraft Sanding Table/Cabinet?

I am interested on building a Downdraft Sanding Cabinet utilizing a Squirrel Cage Blower assembly and filtration. I would like to make the cabinet mobile, so I can easily roll it out of the way when it is not in use. I thought this would also be a good way to filter the shop air of the fine dust that I produce, mostly when sanding on the lathe. One of my 'bestest" SMC Buddies has generously offered a swap of a Squirrel Cage Blower unit for some things I have, and I think this will be a nice addition to my shop. I know I saw plans somewhere for a unit like this, but I cannot for the life of me remember where. Does anyone know of plans available? Or, better yet, has anyone built a unit like this, and if so, what are the things that work great for you, or what would you do different if you were building one today? Any information, such as hole size for the top, baffles, and the like would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas, advice or suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    I am interested on building a Downdraft Sanding Cabinet utilizing a Squirrel Cage Blower assembly and filtration. I would like to make the cabinet mobile, so I can easily roll it out of the way when it is not in use. I thought this would also be a good way to filter the shop air of the fine dust that I produce, mostly when sanding on the lathe. One of my 'bestest" SMC Buddies has generously offered a swap of a Squirrel Cage Blower unit for some things I have, and I think this will be a nice addition to my shop. I know I saw plans somewhere for a unit like this, but I cannot for the life of me remember where. Does anyone know of plans available? Or, better yet, has anyone built a unit like this, and if so, what are the things that work great for you, or what would you do different if you were building one today? Any information, such as hole size for the top, baffles, and the like would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas, advice or suggestions!
    Kevin,
    Try Fine Woodworking magazine Issues 153 and 160.

Dave

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Check Terry Hatfield's web site. I know he built one - maybe it is on his site

Question No help but I have a ?

Like I said I have no suggestions, but I do have appropriate questions. I understand the concept involved here. You use the blower to draw air and sanding dust into the table and exhaust the air through filters, thereby trapping the dust in the filter. What type of filter do you plan on using? I've seen these shop made varieties using only a furncae filter. My question is, would using a DC (assuming you have one) bringing the air and dust into a 1 micron bag filter be better in terms of filtering out sanding dust? Furnace filters are not nearly as effective are they? Did you plan on using a different type of filter? Sorry to have so many questions and no answers.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Check Terry Hatfield's web site. I know he built one - maybe it is on his site
    I have the build up on my site, but it's cyclone powered not squirrel cage powered.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rockler sells a kit for this too - maybe a visit to their webpage or a store will yield some clues. They aslo sell some none-slide goo you can paint the surface with so the belt sander won't launch your panels.

I think Woodsmith or Shopnotes had a plan for one a while back. It is on my list of things to build, but I am out of room right now. It will have to wait until the new shop in a couple years.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Kev,

I thought I was your "bestest" SMC buddy

I have a set of plans for one in a magazine at home. If I remember correctly it fits everything you have mentioned as what you want it to do. If you want I can try and dig it up and get it to you.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Noah, you ARE one of my Bestest SMC Buddies too..........notice in the thread I said "one of", because I have so many here! I have a couple of ideas I have found on the 'Net.......but the more the merrier. I figured the more ideas I have, I can incorporate the best of these to build a very nice unit. Thanks for the offer Noah, that is very kind. If it is not too much trouble, I would like to see the plans that you have too.

Not necessarily detailed plans, but will get you the general idea

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/p...ding_table.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy
    My question is, would using a DC (assuming you have one) bringing the air and dust into a 1 micron bag filter be better in terms of filtering out sanding dust? Furnace filters are not nearly as effective are they? Did you plan on using a different type of filter? Sorry to have so many questions and no answers.
    Ron,

I think those 3M Filtrete are pretty comparable to a 1 micron bag. They're available all over the place. I put two in my over head air cleaner with a washable one taking out the biggest stuff (three total filters). I like the way it works, but I'm also concidering converting it too a down draft table, not because I have more room than I know what to do with, but because it could also be a work surface.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe
    Ron,

I think those 3M Filtrete are pretty comparable to a 1 micron bag. They're available all over the place. I put two in my over head air cleaner with a washable one taking out the biggest stuff (three total filters). I like the way it works, but I'm also concidering converting it too a down draft table, not because I have more room than I know what to do with, but because it could also be a work surface.

Thanks Dan. I'll check out the 3M Filtrete next time I'm at the borg.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Dan pretty much nailed what my thought was on the Downdraft Sanding Table Ron. There are very good filters available now, and getting filtering capacity equal to the 1 micron bags on my DC unit is possible. I am building this unit for several reasons: First, to further clean the air in my shop, and to give me a good collection area in which to sand. Second, it will double as an outfeed table for my TS, which will be a nice addition, and third, because I just want to build one. I plan on using a 2 stage filter system.................installing double filters to further the filtering capacity, and to help the 3M Filtrete filters last a little longer, as they will be used for the final filtration. There may be some "trial and error" things to try to get everything just right, but that is half of the fun of undertaking a project such as this. I will let everyone know how things go when I get the unit up and running. I have a few paying jobs to get out of the way first...........but I plan on getting on this as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    Dan pretty much nailed what my thought was on the Downdraft Sanding Table Ron. There are very good filters available now, and getting filtering capacity equal to the 1 micron bags on my DC unit is possible. I am building this unit for several reasons: First, to further clean the air in my shop, and to give me a good collection area in which to sand. Second, it will double as an outfeed table for my TS, which will be a nice addition, and third, because I just want to build one. I plan on using a 2 stage filter system.................installing double filters to further the filtering capacity, and to help the 3M Filtrete filters last a little longer, as they will be used for the final filtration. There may be some "trial and error" things to try to get everything just right, but that is half of the fun of undertaking a project such as this. I will let everyone know how things go when I get the unit up and running. I have a few paying jobs to get out of the way first...........but I plan on getting on this as soon as I can.

You convinced me Kevin. This goes near the top of my to do list. Right after a good work bench to replace the junk one I now use.
    ________
    Ron

Vince Lombardi

I'll keep ya posted on the project Ron.............if I run across anything significant, I will let ya know. I have some good information I have scrounged up, and I have a few ideas of my own...........as well as ideas and help from the Creeksters..........should be a nice project, and welcome addition.