I have been in search of a special/ideal wood for a large set of cabinets I will be building for my new house. I decided I would order samples from multiple vendors before placing a big order. I thought I would share with you my experience.

www.westpennhardwoods.com
approx 10 board feet of highest figure cherry
Order to arrival = 5 days
Cost = averaged out to around $12 per board foot shipped
Quality = very good quality, nice color, good figure, boards were short

www.groffslumber.com
approx 11 board feet of highest figure cherry
Order to arrival = 4 days
Cost = averaged out to around $9 per board foot shipped
Quality = very good quality, nice color, consistent figure, wide and long boards, boards were shipped opened, just bound, came with UPS stickers on them

www.hearnehardwoods.com
approx 11 board feet of Quarter Sawn high figure cherry (didn't have plain sawn)
Order to arrival = 8 days (took a little longer because web site wasn't updated)
Cost = $17 per board foot shipped (highest cost shipping and board foot)
Quality = very good quality, nice color, qs figure is different than normal figured woods if you haven't seen it before, most sapwood of the 3 orders

Of these 3 vendors, I would order from any of them again. If Groffs would have put their boards in cardboard, I would rank them #1 by both cost, quality and customer service. Hearne was expensive, but very good looking wood, West Penn was also very good, just got short boards instead of the 7 - 8 footers from the other two.

The last company I am looking at is Penn's Woods (they have a forum on here), that wood is black cherry crotch. I am most likely leaning towards them even without seeing the wood in person. I have some samples on the way. I have been very happy with the customer service and I like the process they follow. I will update after I get the samples.

Anyway, thanks for reading my review.