Thread: Scrolling?

Scrolling?

Do I want to get into scroll sawing ?
    Need info on getting started such as a scroll saw, supplies needed and maybe some books.
    Also would be interested in seeing some of the projects that you have done (lots of pics please).
    Lori K

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg View Post
    Do I want to get into scroll sawing ?
    Need info on getting started such as a scroll saw, supplies needed and maybe some books.
    Also would be interested in seeing some of the projects that you have done (lots of pics please).
    Lori.... Scrolling is like anything else....either you like it-or you don't. If you can hook-up with someone who has one and spend some time playing (working) with it, it might give you a better idea.
    LOML spent a small fortune on a top of the line scroll saw and decided she doesn't like it. She won't let me sell it because she said she might "get into it again". It has been sitting there idle for 15 years.
    Gary K.

Go for it!

Lori, scrolling is fun. I've had a saw for several years and although it doesn't get used weekly, or even monthly, I do use it. I started out making Christmas ornaments and have moved on to Southwest designs that I use on my clocks.

Scrolling is pretty easy - if you can sew, i.e., follow the lines to put together pieces of cloth, you can scroll, i.e., follow the lines to cut out a pattern.

Get the BEST scroll saw that you can afford, and get one on which it is easy to change blades--do not get one that uses the blades with the little pins on them, as they are (1) a pain to insert and remove and (2) if you are doing patterns with lots of inside cutting, the hole that you'll have to drill will have to be bigger and, in some cases, bigger than the area that needs to be removed. I highly recommend the 20" DeWalt. It is quiet and relatively vibration-free, is 20" from blade to the back of the throat for those big projects, and has done everything I've thrown at it.

As far as books are concerned, THE "bible" is Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman, who I consider to be the guru of scroll-sawing. He starts at the beginning with the basics and tells you everything you ever wanted to know about scrolling. He and his wife also published lots and lots of books of patterns and projects.

Other patterns can be found in--of all places--children's coloring books. Those books can range from simple to complex and you can let your imagination run wild. http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/ - Sloan's carries wood and accessories for the scroll saw, and they also have lots of patterns, including some very intricate clock patterns.

Good luck, and good scrolling!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Scrolling

You can go to my web site and find a lot of the infromation you are asking for.

http://www.scrollsaws.com
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

I am an avid scroller and have been for over 20 years now. You have been given some very good info already but the one thing I will echo is to buy the best saw you can afford. There are two schools of thought here when people look at saws. They say let me buy a cheap saw and if I like it I can always upgrade. Yes that is true but the other thing that gets overlooked is if you start out with a cheap saw and it is more of a pain because of vibration and not so easy to change blade clamps then you get discouraged and say it is not for you. So I highly recomend a mid priced saw either the Dewalt 788 or the Delta P20 which run about $450. If that is too much than the Delta SS350 is the saw for around $200. Get some good blades and for that contact Mike at www.mikesworkshop.com for Flying Dutchman blades. You won't regret it. Now if you want to see some things I do http://www.woodworkingcrafts.com/inf...500/ppuser/656

While you are there check out the rest of the galleries and you will be amazed. If you want sign on and become a member. Glad to have you. Ask all the questions you want.
    John T.

Thank you all. I was considering the dewalt. Have heard some good reviews on this machine (and fairly reasonable price).
    Thanks Nancy, I just ordered that book and a couple others from amazon.
    I think I'll do some reading while I watch for a deal on this saw.
    Also bookmarked the web pages you guys were kind enough to post for additional reading
    Lori K

Lori
    There is a DW788 with stand and light for sale in this forum's classifieds right now. Dunno if it's in your price range tho. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hutcheson View Post
    You can go to my web site and find a lot of the infromation you are asking for.

http://www.scrollsaws.com
    Rick ,you are the scroll saw "KING". Great web site and beautiful shop.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I 've just been at it a long time.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Hi,

My husband started me off on a Ryobi to see if I really liked scroll sawing and turns out that I love it. I still have the Ryobi and I got a dewalt 788 from Grizzly with the light and stand for Christmas. If you would like to try scroll saw please let me know and maybe I could send you the Ryobi to try.

Kris
    DISPLACED TEXAN

A couple more questions for you guys. Do the scroll saws make alot of noise (loud), specifically the dewalt 788 (that's the one I am leaning towards getting), my paranoid skitzo dog likes to spend all her time with me except when she is kidnapped by one of her other personalities. But I don't like to expose her to any loud noises.
    What about sawdust? My table saw leaves a fine layer of dust all over, even with the DC hooked up. and finally what kind of stand do you use ?
    Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jack, thanks for the heads up. Not quite ready to buy, unless it is a real steal.

Kristina, thanks for the offer, but at this time I will have to pass.
    Lori K

Lori, my scroll saw doesn't make any more noise than a sewing machine, so if your dog has ever been around one of those, she won't freak out around the scroll saw. I can carry a normal conversation while scrolling if I need to.

The scroll saw is going to make dust, lots of dust, but it's easily cleaned up with the vacuum cleaner. Any time you start cutting wood--with anything--you're gonna make sawdust.

As far as a stand is concerned, the picture in this thread will show you mine. (That's our turning tunics and face shields sitting on top of the saw. I sit at a high stool at the saw, and at the other end is a little Delta combo disk/belt sander that we use to smooth things out.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=55552&page=2 - post 56, first picture. This is a shop-built cabinet, designed by LOML, and is similar to other cabinets that he has built in the shop.

Keep us apprised of what you decide to do.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

might check toolking.com. i got a reconditioned dewalt 788, w/o light or table for $319. the saw is new even though it was sold as reconditioned. i love the saw and i find scroll sawing one of the most relaxing forms of woodworking.