Thread: Miter Sleds

Miter Sleds

I have been looking at miter sleds. The candidates are Incra Miter 5000, Jointech Smartmiter, and Dubby. Would like recommendations from anyone that has used any one of these. The pros, cons, likes, dislikes, whatever. Is there another sled worth mentioning that I haven't considered?

Thanks
    Mike
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Jointech here

Mike,

I've had the Jointech Smartmiter for about a year now and use it quite a bit. The fence is solid, and the angle geometry is clever--you don't have to re-zero when changing angles. There's a video on the website.

Drawbacks are those associated with sleds--loss of cut depth, a clunky ride for the overarm saw guard, and no use if any bevel is needed.

Happy 2004,

JW

Had the Dubby sold it and now have the Smartmiter which Iam very happy with. Halsey

I have both the right and left side Dubby and really like them. I have a Incra Mitre, but not the 5000. I've looked at the JoinTech a show and talked to the inventor. A nice feat of engineering, but already had the Dubby, and have been happy with the it.

Dave

<edit spelln')

Mike,

I've tried the Incra, but not the 5000.....I tried a couple of others to include a home-made version. I bought the Jointech Smartmiter just over a year ago and have been sold on the smartmiter ever since. In my opinion...there ain't no other choice but the smartmiter. Easy to setup and a dream to use and operate. Accuracy is dead-on......
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I don't have either but during my research into the INCRA TS-LS system I ran into this and thought it might help. It is a very detailed review of the Dubby cutoff.

http://thewoodshop.20m.com/dubby.htm

Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Leonard
    I have been looking at miter sleds. The candidates are Incra Miter 5000, Jointech Smartmiter, and Dubby. Would like recommendations from anyone that has used any one of these. The pros, cons, likes, dislikes, whatever. Is there another sled worth mentioning that I haven't considered?

Thanks
    Mike
    I have the Incra 5000 sled and really like it. Look real close at the attachments and accessories. You can cut bevels on it with an additional strip and you can also get the zero clearance fence to do bevels.
    Be Blessed!

Just to throw another brand in, I have the Delta, and while it is very heavy, it works well.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

I am not an expert woodworker, but I have the Jointech and have been very pleased with it. I have made three multi-sided mirror frames with it (one 8 sided and two 6 sided) and they were dead on. Since it sits to the left of the blade, at least on my saw (Delta right tile Unisaw) you can't use it to dado unless you change the setting of the slide. Perhaps on the left tilt it wouldn't be a problem (if the dado stack is referenced in the other direction).

The video is a lot of help; well done. I wasn't comfortable using a dollar bill to set the spacing, so I used a feeler guage.

As mentioned, you do lose some depth of cut. I also have the companion piece that goes on the other side of the blade to keep from having the piece tear as it falls away from the blade.

I really like the clamp that comes with it for clamping up and safely cutting small pieces.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I have the Joint Tech Smart Miter and think it is a superior product. I did a short review which is on my web site: Smart Miter Review
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I have the left tilt unisaw and the dado works fine with the smartmiter another plus .Halsey

Another vote for the Smartmiter! I really like it.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I was at the Baltimore WW show today & watched demonstrations of all 3 miter sleds ( Incra, Jointech, & Drubby). From my observations the Drubby was the easiest to set up and use. I didn't buy one due to spending too much on other items, but it's on my short list of new tools.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. It looks like a lot of you are happy with the Smartmiter. Those endoresemnts are hard to beat.

Thanks again.
    Mike
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."