Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MM16 - is it just me?

Cliff....FWIW.......I have had mine for 18 months. I love my MM-16. It works as advertised. I'm sure my two sons will fight over it when I die.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jerry Pata

I to got a mm-16 last year and the table is dished in the middle .007.
    Was told by my sales rep that is the factory tolerance . No offer by the
    rep to correct this. My neighbor who is a retired machinist told me that the table was ground with a dull bit. Sorry to hear that I am not the only one experience poor quality equipment and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Pata View Post
    rep to correct this. My neighbor who is a retired machinist told me that the table was ground with a dull bit. Sorry to hear that I am not the only one experience poor quality equipment and service.
    Jerry, .007 in a woodworking bandsaw table is thoroughly inconsequential. If you want +/- .001 type tolerances in machining you will pay dearly. Go out and price machine shop level equipment sometime – that’s what you’re asking for.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Jerry,

If you want to correct the dish in your MM16 table, there are four bolts that locate and secure the table on it's fulcrum. These bolts may be used to change the relationship of the table to the blade in all directions. Be careful, do one bolt adjustment at a time and see what it does. Your manual has a description of these bolts and their function.

Cast Iron is very flexible, I have a Jointer/Planer 20.5 " wide it weighs 2200 pounds and if the unit is not level in all directions there is deflection on the cast iron tables.

Good Luck, let us know if you can stand up straight when you are finished adjusting the bolts. It took me several minutes and two fingers of Makers Mark to get my back to relax.

Rye Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bible View Post
    While writing I would like to get sugestion on best 3/4 or 1" blade for resawing dried oak.
    I have heard nothing but good about the Lenox Tri-Master
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-27-2009 at 3:53 PM. Reason: small correction of blade type :o)

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Pata View Post
    dished to .007? That would make it nearly impossible to build anything

I just put a Lenox Tri-Master on my saw.. its a 1" x 3tpi..
    Its a really nice blade. It was worth the investment, as it will last me years..

The first thing I cut was a scrap of 2" Sapeli... It felt like cutting 2" styrofoam.. A buddy was with me, he finished the cut and laughed at how easy it was.

On another note..

Rye.. if you feel like posting a picture of your 20.5" Jointer planer... I feel like looking at it..

Pictures of big tools are always a hit here.. most of us are easily entertained..
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-28-2009 at 3:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Pata View Post
    0.007" doesn't justify a new table. Your wood moves by more than that daily.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    bump..........
    Brilliant use of supporting data. No surprise, I guess.

10. Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    0.007" doesn't justify a new table. Your wood moves by more than that daily.

That number 1 post by a new member has to be a joke. Or a Laguna rep..

Hi Rick,

Here are the pictures of my FS2 the MiniMax/SCM J/P 520mm. when it was delivered. Also pictures of the ST5 Elite S. Saw Shaper combo upon delivery. You can't see it well but the power feeder is located on a articluated arm that swings to a fixture to dock it against the saw and then swings out of the way. This was the primary difference between
    this S/S and the KF700 in your color scheme. Hidden from view is the MM24 bandsaw.

Rye Crane
    Attached Images Attached Images

My MM20 (Minimax 20" bandsaw) has a cast iron table that is not flat. The section of the table that is cut in order to get blades off and on is out a good 1/16"...at the end of the cut/table...one side of the cut. I could probably force it back level with some steel bar bolted underneath but I must admit that it hasn't impacted any cutting I've done. I've been resawing veneers of walnut 3/32" thick and they come out just fine so while it is annoying and I'm likely to do something about it, I'm all right so far....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks Rye for the information. I read the board all the time. I never post until now,this tread hit home for me. I am new to wood working. 68 years old and trying to learn what I can. Again thanks for your kind reply.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Vanbokklen View Post
    That number 1 post by a new member has to be a joke. Or a Laguna rep..

Laguna???? When did they start supporting MM saws? I know they have been working extremely hard the last few months but that is awesome!! I know Tim at Laguna would probably try and help out of he could!!

MM is great to work within my experience. I saw that because I feel like a lifetime tool buyer of theirs every time I call them and my bandsaw was a used MM20!!! Sam Blasco can just about sort out anything in the MM line. Anyone try him?

I am sure glad I have not looked for perfection in my BIG tools. My woodworking would fail in comparison.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Laguna???? When did they start supporting MM saws? I know they have been working extremely hard the last few months but that is awesome!! I know Tim at Laguna would probably try and help out of he could!!
    I was just being a smartass about the post being from a Laguna representitive. Sorry, that post saying how upset they were with a .007 dish in the table as if MM band saws were dropping the ball so badly. .007 dish in the middle of an MM16 table is insignificant. And then the machinist saying they used a dull bit, total bull. Lets see pictures to back things up if new posters are going to start cutting down a good company.