Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MM16 - is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Evans View Post
    I know Jim S was out a few months last year and was hard to get a hold of.
    Yes, he was out for medical reasons.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have owned the MM16 for about a year and had read of problems with the motor contactor and also door/brake switches. I didn't have a problem, mine was shipped with the right model I guess.

The table out of flat could be a problem if it happened to be at the discharge of the cutout at the blade insert.

The only things I had to do was track the blade (minor adjustment on lower wheel tilt) and notch out the blade guard.

My fence is not dead on 90 degrees but is quite close.

The 12 AWG wiring in the machine is normal. Runs are very short so resistance is negligible.

Knowing how I am, I would have returned the darn thing and challenged payment with the CC company if I had ran into the bad contactor issues. I can get very good used contactors from work off of equipment that is upgraded and slated for salvage.

Sorry to hear of the problems.

Chuck

I hate to hear about these problems, especially from a very good manufacture like MiniMax.
    For the record, my 3 year old MM16 has been bullet proof. The one time that I did need CS, the CS was fast & painless.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I am a happy MM16 owner - new version-- , no problems.

However, I have noticed something over the couple - three years I have been hanging out here.

There are alot of happy MM16 BS owners and the MM16 has been a standard bearer for many other companies to compete against. Frequently, I think happy owners may mis-communicate or interested listeners (potential buyers) may mis-interpret the qualities of this bandsaw.

It's a bandsaw.

It is a simple machine and it cuts wood.

There are alot less expensive saws out there that will satisfy most any hobbyist woodworker.

I think the enthusiasm of current owners may overhype this saw. I don't believe this is done on purpose, but just out of brand loyalty and out of a very good relationship we MM owners develop with our salespeople.

It is a very good saw and I can't imagine ever wanting (needing?) another band saw.

If the guys in Austin are worth their weight in reputation, they should fix any design/manufacturing errors or flaws without question. That is fair and it is the right thing to do.

Joe

To all who participated in this thread, thank you for keeping it civil, and for the advice. My hope was that this wouldn't start a vendor bash fest or anything like that. I had executed on the standard MM customer service process and felt I had come to a dead end, which is why I asked for some advice on what to do next. Through the evolution of this thread, I received sound advice that helped get me back on track with MM. In the end, I think their support is generally willing and capable. I'm not sure where the breakdown was with our previous communications, but I think MM management in Austin was genuinely disappointed that my calls for assistance had fallen through the cracks. And, they realize that CS should be consistent throughout their organization and one should not have to search to find the "right person" to work with. Everyone should be "the right person".

As to the resolution of my problem, MM already has a policy in place to deal with the switch problem.
    1) replace the currrent AEG switch with another AEG at no charge
    2) replace the current AEG switch with the new, better switch and the customer pays the warranty cost difference (~$40)

I chose solution #2, and to me this arrangement is satisfactory given my machine is beyond the standard warranty period. MM is simply the "middle man" of the AEG 1yr switch warranty and I can appreciate the fact that they have addressed my problems outside those confines. All reports from MM owners on the new style switch that I have heard are very good, and MM conveyed to me that the new switches have been trouble free. Would it have been nice to have the upgrade free of charge? Absolutely. Do I feel I have been treated unfairly by option #2? No.

Additionally, they have offered to address my table issue in a more direct fashion. If both solutions are successful, I believe I can finally look forward to many years of trouble free service from this machine.

Finally, I am pleased that at no time did I have to become confrontational to achieve my goal. Yes, I had to take time to escalate to MM management, but they already had the solution policy in place. For whatever reason, a specific support individual didn't execute based on that policy, and I suspect MM will correct the inconsistency. The fact that there is a policy in place and it requires no "special, one off" consideration tells me that MM Austin 1) recognizes there is a problem with the AEG switch, 2) implemented the policy to facilitate consistent customer service, and 3) is attempting to provide that good customer service. I'm ok with that. I believe I just happened to be the unfortunate recipient of someone somewhere along the line "dropping the ball". There are good people at MM, and they seemed genuine in telling me they will use my experience to improve their service to others. Let's hope it is so.

Thanks Jim Strain and Tim Tidwell for righting the ship. Keep after it.

Thanks for the update, Brad!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brad, glad to see things appear to be going in the right direction.
    I am curious, I received my mm16 (newer model) 10/2005.
    I have not had any switch problems (or any other problems), is there
    an easy way to tell if I have a newer switch or an older switch ?

Howie

Quote Originally Posted by Howie French View Post
    Brad, glad to see things appear to be going in the right direction.
    I am curious, I received my mm16 (newer model) 10/2005.
    I have not had any switch problems (or any other problems), is there
    an easy way to tell if I have a newer switch or an older switch ?

Howie
    Howie,
    The problematic switches like mine have the manufacturer name "AEG" on them printed in the upper right hand corner of the cover plate. I was told who the manufacturer was for the new ones, but I can't remember... It wasn't AEG though. My machine is the previous generation MM16.

Brad,

Good for you - and good for MiniMax!

Thanks Brad - I just checked, sure enough.... AEG, time will tell.

Howie

Howie,
    I don't want to cause any confusion or alarm, so here's some pics of what I have. I have the previous generation 3.8HP 20A motor. If you have the new generation larger motor, it's likely you have a different switch, and I don't know if those had problems. In this pic, it's the black button on the right that is stuck in the in (on) position.

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have dealt with AEG controls and switchgear working on industrial HVAC. AEG is considered good equipment. So this kinda surprises me they have had this problem. ....I guess everyone makes a fluke now and then.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

" Through the evolution of this thread, I received sound advice that helped get me back on track with MM. In the end, I think their support is generally willing and capable."

The reason you are back on track is because of this thread. Unlike a lot of creekers that love mm and the sales staff, I think they are typical used car sleaze salesman. I have seen them in action at the shows and have talked with them many times on the phone. The only straight shooter I have dealt with is Sam Blasco. The tables not being flat is a joke and a slap in the face to the customer who is paying top dollar for an "industrial" machine. The tables should be checked by mm before they leave mm. Always put these purchases on a credit card and create a paper trail of problems to show the credit card company if needed. Put the purchase into disupte the second you feel the company is not performing. The customer sets the time frame and terms for the seller to make it right. If they don't make it right in your time frame tell them to pick up the machine and they will never see a penny in this or any other transaction from you. Also tell the fellow creekers about the issue as a heads for other potential buyers.

Dan

Minimax Problems

I've been reading the posts on minimax problems. I purchased mm20 recently. I did have one problem at start-up. The Start switch would not work (stuck) . I took it apart and sprayed with a good quality lube/penetrating oil. Works fine now. No others so far.
    While writing I would like to get sugestion on best 3/4 or 1" blade for resawing dried oak.
    Thanks.

I too am interested in this thread because I am going through absolute heck with WMH Tool Group (JET) over a frozen faceplate on a lathe, and the breaking of fins on their pot metal pulley trying to free up the faceplate. I beleve that no matter what transpires in negotiations between the customer and the vendor, you should never have to fight with, raise your voice, be insulted, or basically called a liar by someone you just paid ANY amount of money to for a product that should work EXACTLY as billed. If it is not right every effort should be made to make it right or the transaction should be reversed. Easier said than done with the kind of equipment we are talking about, but that in itself shoud be motovation enough for the manufacturers to make their faulty equipment the way it shoud have been on the day of delivery. Telling the manufacturer to come and get their machine sounds good, but just try doing it sometime. One it is in your shop you are pretty much stuck, and they know it.

I can honestly say that I have had issues with every big machine I own, and the way the issue was handled, as in the amount of pain the customer service reps put me through, is what I base future purchases on. No matter how wonderful a machine is, there is always another manfacturer somewhere that can make it just as good. We have to stop being so loyal to people who really don't give a rats you know what about us or our financial situation. They have a financial bottom line, and it is a rare one that will cross that line to make a customer happy.