Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rules..No Rules?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rules..No Rules?

I would like these rules:
    • If you want a handle, your Name & Hometown will be in your profile. I would prefer they show.
    • Registration should be required to post.
    • Any nuisance poster could be handled privately by the administrator.

I really don't want any other rules. My suggestion on how to handle spammers is to call a spade a spade in your reply. Other nuisance postings could be ignored much the same as bad behavior in a child. <p>
    I would not like rules against hyperlinks. It's nice to be able to recommend a tool deal somewhere on the www or a page with valuable advice, I loved the Pond but I lived in fear of being chastised by Wayne. I really think Wayne felt the need to read every post in a timely fashion so he could delete the post. No wonder he was worn out and had to go "read only" on Sundays.

Other forums are glutted with frivilous posts, jokes etc. I like sticking to the topic (woodworking) but I welcome most OT messages. How many people are helped with computer problems, advice on a car purchase? There's a wealth of experience here. When a friend needs help, let's give him or her help. <p>
    The only rules in my Harley club are "No guns and No attitudes". Bikers may look "Bad to the Bone" but most of them are just like you, they just dress funny. Trouble makers simply get bored if they are outnumbered. <p>

Enough said.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

Rules

Zack / All

Thanks Zack for starting this thread. We are in the process of writing our board rules now and this would be a good time to discuss a few points openly.

At least a couple of rules are not open for debate, these involve our legal responsibility as the host of SawMill Creek. I won't go into this here as there isn't any point.

When I first discussed the possibility of starting SawMill Creek at Badger Pond I was encouraged by everyone who responded to keep the rules very close to what Wayne had established at Badger Pond. This makes a lot of sense as Wayne had already gone through the pain of setting up guidelines that were basically successful. However I also believe that we can make a few adjustments and allow for a little more flexibility and I'm interested in positive feedback.

Spamming
    Our sponsor has a strict rule concerning spam, it is not allowed and anyone who steals our network resources or abuses our members will be removed from our network immediately.

Privacy
    We go to great lengths to protect the privacy of our members, this is a responsibility we take very seriously. We will not under any circumstances voluntarily provide personal or professional data to anyone for any reason.

These topics are open for discussion and here are my views;

Usernames
    Handles are basically a very bad idea, you have no idea who you are talking to and it really is hard to remember who is who over the long haul. I can tolerate handles and would agree to allowing people to include their real name in their profile but I already know that I will be busy deleting user accounts that are nasty or sexual in nature. If everyone agrees to allow handles we will do the best we can to moderate new accounts. I also expect plenty of help from our members reporting usernames that are objectionable to our administrators. Some of our current members have registered with handles, we had intended to contact them in the next week and help them adjust to the board rules of using real names but we will wait untill everyone has had the opportunity to address this isse.

HyperLinks
    I like to post hyperlinks, this is in the spirit of the Internet and a very basic reason why we are here...to share information. The use of hyperlinks will be abused on occasion by those who are only interested in advertising their wares. When this happens we will delete the post or thread. I see no need to punish the masses for the sins of a few.

Nuisance Posters
    One mans junk is another mans castle as they say, determining who is a nuisance is difficult. I would suggest that we all be tolerant and remember that the first amendment is very broad in what we determine to be free speech. Use your "Ignore List" to deal with this problem as a first line of defense.

Moderation
    Every post has a link at the bottom that allows you to report it to a moderator. Therefore every member is expected to pitch in and help us keep the board within the community standards that we as a group establish. I will not read every post and view every picture. I trust the people here and I'm willing to bet that you will be much more stringent than I would be policing our community.
    My decision will be final on any problem, circumstance or argument, this has to be this way as the buck has to stop somewhere and all of the members here will hold me responsible.

Commercial Posts
    Blatant commercial posts will be deleted immediately...but lets leave a little slack in the rope here. Many of our members are semi-professionals or at least do a few jobs to help defer the costs of purchasing tools and equipment. Big businesses have deep pockets and can afford expensive advertising, the little guys need a little exposure from time to time and they are often the ones who contribute the most as they have invaluable experience. I would prefer that we don't openly discuss prices, use private email or direct people to your web site when its time to negotiate.

Off Topic (OT) Posts
    I agree with Zack here, friends should be able to help other friends.

Religion and Politics
    Same as Badger Pond, these areas will destroy our community faster than anything I know so we should decide now to keep opinions in these two areas to ourselves.

---------------
    Post your opinions now, the floor is open for discussion but it won't be long before we must post our rules. Lots of people are leaning on me to make them public.

Keith,

I think you are right on on your outline of the rules.

There have to be rules. It's nice to be asked our opinion of them before they are implemented.

I personally don't like the "handles". Part of what appealed to me at the Pond was the real names and the real people. There is something about your name being out there on every post that almost self moderates. I think the massive use of the avatars is a testament to what I am talking about.

Thanks,

Terry

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Forum Rules

Keith,
    I could easily live with the rules that you stated. I do think members should use their real names. That was one of the first things that appealed to me about the Pond. One of the more raucous WW forums allows handles, coincidence?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Forum Rules

Keith,

I'm also for using real names as opposed to handles. I would, like you, prefer a little flexability, as you mentioned, regarding hyperlinks, and "OT" subjects.

So,I pretty much agree with you, on everything you stated. Sounds like you've got a pretty good "handle" on things.
    wcturner
    in Hopkinsville, Ky.

"Knowledge Is Power"

"Git R Done"

Rules

Keith,

I pretty much agree with you right down the line. I also think members should use their real names, at least a first name, but I prefer a last name, too. I like the fact that the persons location shows up as well. Helps differentiate between Daves, Bobs, etc.

I think its been interesting that the posts so far have been quite clean and civil. As you say, I think overall the group will be self policing. One thing you might add is, no flaming.

I too, welcome OT posts. We are friends here and friends help one another with whatever comes up, except as stated politics and religion. As for jokes and frivolous posts, I wouldn't want to see this become a trial audience for comedians, but humor and good natured ribbing between friends was one of the things that I liked about the Pond.

Thanks again Keith, you are doing a whale of a job.

Bob

Another vote for names, not handles. I really do think it is easier to relate to people even when you're one of the hordes of Daves, than when you're nut1234. At one of the raucous forums that I frequent, I cannot remember a single time a stink was raised by a person using a name. Some people will not be able to bring themselves to use a full name though.

I think your proposed rules list looks pretty good.

Dave

Keith,

I used to post on Badger Pond as "Martin, Granbury, TX". At first I was hesitant to give my last name, and at first I used a hotmail email account, mostly out of fear of spam. As I became more comfortable, I passed my primary email address to people I met, and finally started posting it as well.

I agree with all of your rules, I agree that we will be self-policing, and I think you have done a fantastic job building this site on such short notice.

My only comment is that I would allow people who are nervous, like I was at first, to limit themselves to a real first name only if they desire.

I would prefer to see real names as opposed to call signs.

Thanks again,

Martin
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Good Discussion going:

• I never noticed the "Moderation" button and I'm always afraid of bothering the Administator with personal messages. OTOH I do feel some things are better discussed in private and not in front of the troops, but.... I want a badge.. one of them that are both Gold & Silver. And.... I want a real number on it. Like Joe Friday has.
    • I'm glad to see so many in favor of full names and no handles. I was leaving "wiggle room" in my original thread. I really think "handles" are annoying.
    • When I refered to "Spammers", I was meaning people promoting something in a thread. Those "Weazels" that send out unsolicited e-mails need a real job.
    • I'm glad that e-mail addresses are hidden. They weren't hidden on the "Pond".
    • "Mom and/or Pop" businesses that produce woodworking items like Laser Engravings or Pen Turnings or have a "Homepage" should not live in fear of the adminstrator. (You know who you are.)

Can you ,at least, require that people post their Home State or Country. Or..At least encourage the practice. I sent a message to a fellow, nice fellow, (on this Forum) recently that stated he taught at the U of A. I'm thinking, hey the Univ. of Alabama or Arkansas. I checked his profile, no help. Turns out he's a Canadian [edited]. (You know who you are). Now.... You have to understand that it's a long standing tradition all over the South to pick on anyone from the University of Alabama. What fun it is....., for a True Southern Gentleman, to even converse with a Canadian. [Edited} I ain't never really seen nobody from Canada in this county. And another thing that bothers me Do Canadians eat grits?... bisquits and gravy??

[New Paragraph]I ordered Grits in at the "Country Kitchen" in Battle Creek, Michigan. It was on the menu. The Waitress returned and stated: "We have the grits but no one in the Kitchen has ever made them before."........ Of course, I went into the Kitchen and gave a lesson in Grits ! [Phrase Removed]

BBQ Recipes This is my last rant. I read an open discussion about how to properly cook ribs on the Badger Pond Forum. Cooking Ribs is a religion around here. You really should have to go through some sort of "State Certification" process, pay a fee and be licensed to discuss the subject. Hell boy, Electricians have to be certified. Discussions about how to cook can git some people whopped into a frenzy real qwik like 'round here. You want to start something at my "Coffee Shop", you just mention BBQ, Killin' Ducks or Cookin'. You'll be late for work.

This thread has been edited, Sanatized and homogenized.............
    Last edited by Dr. Zack Jennings; 03-14-2003 at 11:37 AM.
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

Thumbs up

Keith, I agree with everything you have stated. Real names were one big decision maker for me to sign on.

As you pointed out, you have thought about this before you started it and I agree the BP did work out most of the trouble items. More might pop up from time to time but I fell you will be ale to handle it with help from the members.

Please keep up the good work. It is appreciated
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I Like It

I'm in complete favor of your ideas Keith. I hung around the Pond for a long, long time. My very first post on that forum was an introduction, and a link to some photos of my workshop. Innocent enough. Needless to say, My thread got deleted, so i reposted. I had no idea Wayne wiped it out. An email to me would have solved the situation. Instead, I got blasted on the board, my post got deleted again, and my IP was banned. Since then, we did work it out with him. I have lurked there, but have hardly posted.

Wayne did a great job, no denying that. A forum is a community of folks who attend day in and day out. Many of us make our home here. This is our home. There has to be a leader. Keith and the boys are great.

I applaud the fact that you, Keith, are asking for our opinions. It truly gives a sense of ownership to this community. I think you'll find that the poeple who make this their home, will do the right thing, and watch over it as well.

I have learned SOOOO much over the years by you folks, and am truly greatful.

Thanks all for making this forum worth coming back to!

Peter

Thumbs up Rules...No Rules?

Keith - Count me among the majority. I like names, no religion or politics and do like the option of hyperlinks in posts as appropriate. It sounds like most of the folks who have replied are "former Badger Ponders" or pass for one in dim light, so perhaps the rules part is going to be finding what didn't work so well there. I didn't have a problem, but then I also didn't do a lot of posting.

Agree with everything...but I don't think handles should be allowed. Let's keep it real.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Keith

I like the broad aspect of your proposed guidelines. You can always tighten later if needed. I also like names not handles.

Terry

Tim Guest

Thumbs up Right on Keith . . .

I agree with all your proposals. First and/or last name (like the Pond) without handles. Reasonable use of links. I didn't notice the Moderator button either until you mentioned it. I'm sure just that alone will be sufficient to keep manners in check.