Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Weekend Doin's?

Question Holiday Weekend Doin's?

Good Wednesday Morning All,

Since most of us will be starting a long holiday weekend sometime today, thought I would go ahead and post this. I am going to try to get a few drawers for my bench built and installed today. May try to tackle a few more small organizational projects on New Years Day and Friday morning. We have company coming in Friday evening for the rest of the weekend. Oh yeah, a smattering of football here and there, particularly Sunday night.

So, what are your plans for this looooong weekend? Any sawdust sprinkled amongst the confetti?

Be safe and have a very happy, prosperous and sawdust rich New Year!

Bob

Unhappy Unplanned work

I started last evening putting up the crown molding in the living room with plans of making some more today. Our city water went off as we went to bed, a not unusual ocvcurance. When they turned it back on,there must have been a huge water hammer effect. I was awakened by the sound of running water. A valve had burst, flooding the basement. So far, I have filled a 16 gal. shopvac 5 times, now to get out everything wet and dry it or throw it away. What an unplanned, unpleasant job!!! On a better note, we sent a Jack Russell puppy to its new owners yesterday, the first we had shipped by air and the first to Canada. The new owners called and said they love him, he is chewing on everything in the house. Oh, well, maybe I can get back on track tomorrow.
    Eddie
    Eddie in So. West Virginia BP

I'll be out the shop turning, and cleaning, then sat I'm driving up to your country to see Dad in Broken Arrow, back home Sunday and get ready to start a new year of work.

Sounds like it's going to be warm enough to take the labs to the beach. Otherwise I'll be putting together the new bandsaw and sizing about a 100bf of cherry to get the library started.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Well my week end started on the 23rd & will finish on the start of the 5th so far I've spent 4 glorious days in the shop working on my base cabinet for my contractors saw & it looks like I'll spending a few more in the shop.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Aside from cooking a nice meal for LOML tomorrow (seared fillet roast wrapped in bacon with a mushroom sauce, asparagus, carrots and a pear/raspberry tart), I'll be spending a lot of time in the shop. I'll be milling a bunch of poplar for upcoming projects, working on a few things that need to get completed, probably some turning and some additional cleanup and reorganization. LOML and I also need to clean out the dining room that became a storage area and get our eating table back into the eating area off the kitchen...these things need done so we can start the search for a new house cleaning service given the kitchen renovation is long done. There is a bunch of stuff that needs to be organized for sale on EBay "real soon now"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Aside from cooking a nice meal for LOML tomorrow (seared fillet roast wrapped in bacon with a mushroom sauce, asparagus, carrots and a pear/raspberry tart), .... I'll be milling a bunch of poplar for upcoming projects, ....
    Willing to move large quantities of wood for this food wouldn't want you to hurt your wrist doing all that milling

I am hoping to spend some time doing some pens and maybe playing with my new bowl gouge if it arrives. Also need to go order my small DC unit or if I am lucky they will have one in stock.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    Willing to move large quantities of wood for this food wouldn't want you to hurt your wrist doing all that milling
    Had I known you were a starving boy, I would have bought more food...unfortuantly, I only planned for two this time around! (The birdies would be willing to share some millet, however...maybe...)

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Pulling wire for 110 & 220 outlets in the shop all in conduit. New 200 AMP service shared with the house, separate 100 amp for the shop. It's fun to bend pipe again. A different kind of dirty.

New toys need to be fed and these are a hungry bunch. To accommodate the new Makita SCMS workstation and DW735 planer, I'm doing a minor shop make over. Threw out some old shelving, building new. Moving some stuff around.

Going to put a 220 30amp future drop in while I’m pulling wire. You Creekers have convinced me, I neeeeed a cabinet saw. Now to decide which one. (Did I mention my baby graduates from engineering school in the spring and I won’t be paying tuition anymore??

Big music jam session to bring in the New Year. Going to introduce some new tunes I penned.
    Second date with the new lady friend. This could be nice.

Happy New Year, Best wishes and flying sawdust to all of you in 2004

Tyler

Walking on Colorado Blvd

As usual, a bunch of us sports nuts get together at noon at a pub/rest near Colorado Blvd for some beers and food and year end festivities.

I will be raggin' on all the U of Mich fans who are in town for the Rose Bowl.

Even though they beat us this year, we are still national champs for a few more days, and WE WENT 14-0, Undisputed champs !!

So I may end up with a few bruises about my person !!
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Had I known you were a starving boy, I would have bought more food...unfortuantly, I only planned for two this time around! (The birdies would be willing to share some millet, however...maybe...)
    Starving....hardly (though some might think so to look at me). I think I shall pass on the millet, but that is quite generous of them

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am only taking the 1st off. Thought about taking the 2nd so I could get a four day weekend, but decided not too. Will be working on some small projects tomorrow and the weekend. Supposed to snow so probably won't be going anywhere far.

Good and safe New Year to y'all.
    RayJ

no real plans for the long weekend,,,I have to pack up christmas,,and work in the shop that entertainment center is calling me to get it finished,,,
    Mike

Not a thing. I have 2 bottles of Jack and a case of cold ones in the cooler. So I am going to stay away from the shop.

I did finally finish the cabinet that I started back in September. Brought it home a couple of hours ago. I took it over to friend’s house Monday where he had a spray booth already set up in his shop. Four coats of semi gloss polycrylic over a special walnut stain. The stain evened all the different woods out. I used birch ply with a cherry face frame. The crown molding is maple and the doors are a pair of oak doors I had left from a canceled order a couple of years ago. Since the wife wanted the cabinet to look like a country cupboard, I just built it to fit the doors. I hope this is the last big project for OUR house. We are just plan out of room.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    A real arteest!
    You earned those bottles of Jack.... Enjoy.

TJH