Thread: New Belt/Disc Sander...

New Belt/Disc Sander...

A while back my cheap little Menards Tool Shop belt disc sander shot craps so I needed a new one. The old one was just a little disc and 4 x 36 inch belt.
    I bought the Palmgren unit 3 in one sanding center. This same model is sold as a Sears Craftsman as well.

Well I am happy to report that the sander was received today after setting up a delivery day for today after getting a call from the local depot! Two young fellas showed up with a beat up old van, backed it up to the garage and carried it into the shop. Box was in perfect shape and so was what was inside! Man is this thing heavy. Shipping weight was 135 lbs. I don't know how the heck I got this out of the box buy myself but it wasn't pretty. Once on to the work table assembly went well. This is a 8 inch disc and a 6 x 48 inch belt. The main housing is cast iron. The belt, disc and spindle tables are all cast iron and nicely ground and add much to the weight of the machine. The belt and disc table on this sander are the only ones I have ever had that are mounted firmly. So many are slid onto a rod and tightened down by a set screw and they never are firm. These are fit into a cast slot and ride and adjust smoothly. They are fast in place and make a very stable surface. The motor runs smoothly as can be and more power than have ever had on a sander. The sanders are all controlled by a variable speed control. Never had this on a sander before and don't know how necessary it is. Must be on a reeves type drive. This unit comes with a dust collection shoot and a dust bag. I didn't attach the bags as I think most of these are inefficient but should work well with the shop vac hooked up to it. The dust shoot it switchable to the various tables thru two controls one at the base of the machine and one to open the gate by the spindle sander and the disc sander. The machine has a nice little built in cabinet on the back to hold all of the various allen wrenches used to adjust things and also has ears on it for wrapping the power cord around it. Seems to be a pretty well engineered unit. Hopefully there won't be any problems when I get to actually using it. The belt tracks easily and stays in place. Perfect for my small projects like boxes etc. Glad I got it! Well here are some photos of the unit.

Here is the belt and belt table

Here is the disc table.

The drum sanding table.

Variable Speed Controls

Drum Sander Controls - switchable from oscillating to non oscillating.

Dust Shoot

Dust Shoot Controls - Switch able from the different sanders.

Very+Impressive-Congrats

Nice!
    Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Very nice, Corey. Now you got it, whatcha gonna do with it??

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Looks like the "it slices; it dices" version, Corey! Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys! It's a pretty nice machine. Nancy I make boxes primarily and that is what I needed it for.

Corey

Congrats Corey. It looks like Palmgren did their homework on that one!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney