Thread: Resurfacing Granite???

Resurfacing Granite???

Have any of you tried to resurface a piece of granite if the image did turn out? Do you think a countertop scratch kit would work from Lowes? It would be nice to experiment with the same piece more than a few times… I’m trying to figure out my settings without sacrificing a bunch of material ...

Thanks Mark.
    Epilog 75 Watt 36 EXT... Corel X3... PhotoGraV...

I'm just working with granite tile, at $5-6 each...I suspect the scratch kit plus the wasted time costs a lot more than that.

Now if you find an easy way to make the edges of the tiles match the surface, that's worth the price of admission.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I have not, but my shop used to be 3 doors down from a countertop fabrication shop. I watched them polishing and they used a wet process
    using various levels of abrasive and a power polisher with a disk that was probably 16" diameter. First few passes used a metal disk, the last few felt.

It seems like in the case of a laser engraved piece you would not have to go as deep as they do with raw granite, so maybe a car-type polisher would do,
    the problem would be where to purchase the abrasives.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I'm just working with granite tile, at $5-6 each...I suspect the scratch kit plus the wasted time costs a lot more than that.

Now if you find an easy way to make the edges of the tiles match the surface, that's worth the price of admission.
    It’s a granite plaque from a tombstone shop. Only had one chance and it did not turn out like I expected. Was only asking to see if a “special piece” could be repaired if the laser did not come out and be able to have another chance…

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I have not, but my shop used to be 3 doors down from a countertop fabrication shop. I watched them polishing and they used a wet process
    using various levels of abrasive and a power polisher with a disk that was probably 16" diameter. First few passes used a metal disk, the last few felt.

It seems like in the case of a laser engraved piece you would not have to go as deep as they do with raw granite, so maybe a car-type polisher would do,
    the problem would be where to purchase the abrasives.
    Lowes said they have some scratch repair kits… Has anyone tried them?

P.S> Thanks for the info on the counter shop.

Resurfacing Granite

Does anyone know why the edges and back of black granite is grey? My suspicion is that before final polish the granite surface gets a treatment of black dye or some such. I have a few pieces I wasn't happy with, so thought I would raster off the whole surface, dye or paint the surface and try it again. Works on marble, should work on granite. I'll let you know.

There are a dozen or more "black" granites. they all differ depending on the region they come from. The final color that you see is from polishing. There are no paints or dye involved. If you raster off the surface you will need to re-polish. Probably be better off just buying a new piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mighells View Post
    Does anyone know why the edges and back of black granite is grey? My suspicion is that before final polish the granite surface gets a treatment of black dye or some such. I have a few pieces I wasn't happy with, so thought I would raster off the whole surface, dye or paint the surface and try it again. Works on marble, should work on granite. I'll let you know.
    When I have a piece of scrap granite, or even the back of something that didn't turn out so well. I give it I coat of black enamel (rattle can) and use it for test pieces.. So yup!! You can paint it just like marble..

Granite Info

As part owner, and facility manager, of a stone fabricaiton shop I can offer a little info.

Granite tiles and slabs are gray on the edges and back because they are left unpolished. Stone is not dyed as an industry standard, but some materials coming in from China several years ago were dyed - mainly marble. You can resurface marble fairly easily. Granite - especially black - is another animal altogether. "Absolute Black" granite is not even granite, but basalt. With hand tools you cannot achieve a "factory" polish. You really won't even come close. Check with stone shops in your area. If you find one with a resurfacing capabilities they could remove the markings and repolish; however, the price of a new tile will be significantly less than resurfacing.

If you want to give edge polishing, or surface polishing a try here is a list of the basics you will need. Working stone is just like working wood, only we use diamond abrasives. All of these items are available from any stone supply company.

Air or electric polisher. If you have airlines in your shop already go with an Alpha Air 658 if you have a large compressor. This tool requires 80 to 90 PSI at 16 CFM. For electric get a Flex LW1503.
    3" or 4" rigid back up pad, 3" or 4" flexible back up pad
    Polishing pads, set of 7, 50 grit up to 3000 grit and final polish black. With a little practice you can eliminate some of the grits.
    Dust protection
    Rubber boots, apron, etc.

This is a very messy, very wet process. Good luck!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra