Thread: Update on stuck 1442 faceplate

Update on stuck 1442 faceplate

Called WMH Tool Group today and explained to a tech the whole story: new machine, stuck faceplate, cheap wrench, won't budge, spray lube and use pipe wrench, broke teeth on pulley, lathe dead, now what?

First thing he says is that there is a reason for the wrench being so small and frail. It is so I don't do what I did. He then says that there is a nylon washer they will? send me to put on the spndle to keep the faceplate from tightening down too much. (Isn't that like closing the barn door after the horses get out?) Next we go over a list of service centers, none are closer than 100+ miles. But I have no choice, so I pick one so he can send the parts, and they wil call when they get them so we can set up a time.

No mention of reimbursement for, say gas (@3.00 gal) or postage if I decide to ship a 100 lb. headstock with motor. (ups ground 61.66, fed ex 48.93 both one way.) I of course am not going to get into the whole wrapping up a day to drive it to/from and all associated costs that go with the trip, although my tech said that he drives 150 miles to and from work every day, so that doesn't phase him (boy that made me feel better).

BTW, after I took the cover off I took a pair of vice grips and clamped the broke pulley, stuck a piece of wood between the vise grips and the case so nothing would get scratched up, and gave the faceplate another tug and it still would not budge. The pulley, being some sort of soft alloy, just twisted in the vice grips. That baby is really on there.

There is no way this is going to work out to where I am satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Zettle View Post
    There is no way this is going to work out to where I am satisfied.
    Sorry to hear that Craig.

Nathan

ME, too, Craig.

I REALLY believe that, with JUST a few exceptions, Manufacturers, Distributors, and Retailers haven't a CLUE as to the meaning of CUSTOMER SERVICE and why it is important to their continued success!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Sorry about all the problems with your new lathe. I have the same one, bought about the same time and, so far, the only problem has been the machine operator. I am hoping they replace the whole headstock for you.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.

So Craig, was the faceplate is stuck as delivered? I initially thought you had managed to lock it in place by your actions.

If it was delivered stuck, so that's pretty messed up that they wouldn't take care of you. You should have pitched a bigger fit. Call'em back and claim to be incredibly put out. Hell if you bought the 4240 (whatever the big powermatic is with the fixed headstock) you certainly wouldn't accept dragging it out from your shop and hauling it 100+ miles.

Squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Bob

Yes Bob, it came stuck and not only that, before I did ANYTHING I called Jet (WMH Tool Group) and went over their instructions, which are incorrect, because they say to loosen 2 set screws, which are not there. They told me to push in the spindle lock and give it a good tug. I even confirmed the direction to loosen (counterclockwise) so I would not tighten it even more.

I absolutely hate to have to scream at people to get them to just do the right thing. I am a professional woodworker and if a customer had a beef with my work I would fix it, take it back, whatever it took to make it right.

That is just the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Zettle View Post
    I am a professional woodworker...
    I would remind them of this. It shouldn't be so but since you make a living with their tools I bet it will carry more weight than if I call them and tell them my lathe for my "hobby" was broken.

Mention how this is costing you time and money and how as a professional woodworker your opinion often carries more weight with hobbiest woodworkers. Tell them their handling of the situation will reflect on future purchases as well.

Also I thought I read in one of your other posts about other people who have experienced the same condition so it is not a fluke but represents a breakdown in their quality system and if they can't get a faceplate right how can you possibly have any faith that they got the more complicated stuff correct.

See I'm getting all angry for you.
    good luck, WHM supposed to have good customer service...you should mention that as well.

Bob
    Bob

We support you. I also beleive if it came packed that way, you should not be responsible for any shipping or travel necessary to fix their mistake. SQUEAK SQEAK SQUEAK!!!!! Then squeak a little more if you have to. Throw your weight about loosing money from their product, not only money from having to get it fixed but also in lost production time!

Boy I'm looking at lathes to buy, and this scares me away from Jet a little. I've heard great things on Palmgren's customer service, and theirs is a newer line of products for a lower price. You would think the customer service would be switched. Shoot tell them that right there. Your posts on this website could hurt them in several lost sales if they don't shape up.

SQUEAL LIKE A STUCK PIG!!!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Your nicer than me

Craig I would have already escalated. Once that thing came stuck I would have been on the phone and done a lot more than SQUEAK. I would call back tomorrow and demand to speak to a manager and once they pas syou off to their floor support (who normally isn't a manager) as to speak to their manager. Also make sure you mention that comment he made about how far he drives to work. That is completly unacceptable and is certainly not empathy. I work in a customer support center and we treat customers nice enough when it is their fault but we go out of our way when it is ours. They should send you a postage paid box with packing materials and a return slip to ship it off. In fact I would probably demand a new headstock be sent and then I would return the old headstock. You will get what you want especially if you demand something outrageous first.

Shane

Blog Entries
    I'd call them and say I'm going to issue a chargeback on my credit card and they will loose their lathe and their money. They should issue a call tag and pay for replacement. That's BAD Business. Who did you say you got it from?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

That just isn't right.. you spent enough money on that machine in the first place, you shouldn't have to pay because you tried whatever you could do to fix something that shouldn't have been done at the factory... AT LEAST perhaps they would comprimise with you.. No charge on the parts but you pay the shipping... If they won't pick up the whole tab, I'd negotiate and scream till their ears bleed.. What do you have to lose?
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

I bought the lathe (along with 3 other machines, spent almost 5 grand!!!) from Southern Tool. I called them after talking to WMH Tool Group, and they (Southern) told me that they couldn't do anything. Nothing. Talk to WMH. Good luck. Goodbye. No help. No advice.

I agree with you guys. I am going to call WMH again tomorrow and talk to a customer service rep and see if they can ship me a new headstock, and I'll just pack the broken head in their container and ship back (at their expense). I was looking at the internals again and there is more damage than just a broken pulley. The spindle lock is nicked up where it contacts the fins. All this damage occured as a result of me folowing their vague instructions on how to fix a problem that shoud not have occured in the first place.

A little side story about the purchase of 4 machines: I sent out bid requests to several (7 ) suppliers, only 2 responded, and even though I followed emails with phone calls, only Southern Tool was professional enough to send a bid. I was especially surprised that Wilke Machinery did not return my calls, even after talking to a sales rep. How much money does someone have to spend to get their attention? Anyway, I WAS impressed with Southern until this happened. Service after the sale? And this is not a rant, just the facts. I wish I didn't buy all the machines from the same source, but that is just hindsight talking.
    Last edited by Craig Zettle; 04-24-2007 at 8:31 PM. Reason: adding more info

I've had a very good experience with WMH/Jet albeit over a table saw not a lathe. They finally admitted that the set screws that I had stripped (using a allen wrench the size of a bobby pin) had been put on in the factory with locktite. Apparently they discovered it after a while but forgot to mention it when I called for a replacement belt. After three months of waiting for a (minor) part from Taiwan they sent me a new table saw. Basically a $1000 saw because they couldn't get a $20 part. I was patient (I could use the saw, just couldn't adjust the blade height) but persistent and made sure I talked to the same tech rep every time. It may be an isolated event, but in at least this case they did much more than I expected. (BTW they had sent me an upgraded miter gauge during that three month period.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Carey View Post
    I've had a very good experience with WMH/Jet albeit over a table saw not a lathe. They finally admitted that the set screws that I had stripped (using a allen wrench the size of a bobby pin) had been put on in the factory with locktite. Apparently they discovered it after a while but forgot to mention it when I called for a replacement belt. After three months of waiting for a (minor) part from Taiwan they sent me a new table saw. Basically a $1000 saw because they couldn't get a $20 part. I was patient (I could use the saw, just couldn't adjust the blade height) but persistent and made sure I talked to the same tech rep every time. It may be an isolated event, but in at least this case they did much more than I expected. (BTW they had sent me an upgraded miter gauge during that three month period.)
    You must be speaking about the supersaw. I had the same problem and tried to fix it myself. I ended up ordering some new parts and still have to put my fingers on the belt when raising or lowering the blade. I can't keep the sawdust out of the gears. A great saw otherwise.
    Any day I wake up is a good day.