Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project: Cherry Vanities for Master Bath (COMPLETED)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    When did you get your hair cut?
    Months ago the girls kept pestering me, so I gave into their wishes being the nice dad I try to be. And the minute they got home, they complained it was too short. Go figure......it had been nearly 15 years since it had been cut outside of some "end trimming". But I guess at 50 a new look can be acceptable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I really can't wait to see the end result when all the oil and finish is on the pieces and they are installed in our new master bath in a few months...
    A few months!! You cant keep us waiting that long Jim, go out there right now and finish so we can see what they look like all done! Just kidding you of course but I really do wanna see them when completed.
    Again really nice work.

Jim, things are looking great! I look forward to seeing how this whole thing finally comes together. Those door panels are fantastic! Come on, old boy, hurry up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    A few months!! You cant keep us waiting that long Jim, go out there right now and finish so we can see what they look like all done! Just kidding you of course but I really do wanna see them when completed.
    Trust me, Jim...you'll see the "finished" vanities in this thread long before the addition is done and the little buggers are installed. But that end-game is also important as it adds the countertops, fixtures and whatever I decide to do for mirrors, etc. With a piece like a vanity, the room contributes to the final "finish", as it were...
    --

Jim,

I somehow have missed it in your thread but was wondering what jig system you are using to do your dovetailed drawers?

Nevermind, I found the post and see you outsourced them, great time saver.
    Last edited by Kyle Stiefel; 09-14-2007 at 1:58 PM. Reason: found the information

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stiefel View Post
    Jim,

I somehow have missed it in your thread but was wondering what jig system you are using to do your dovetailed drawers?

Nevermind, I found the post and see you outsourced them, great time saver.
    Yes, these were "outsourced" but when I do my own drawers (with half-blinds) I use a Leigh D4. I've tried through dovetails on carcass construction by hand, but haven't had the time to try half-blinds...yet.
    --

Jim you have a PM

Thanks,

Jim

Update - 16 September 2007

Well, folks, this project is soon to draw to a close. This weekend was "apply the finish" time...and so I did. This started by getting the oil on the few remaining pieces that had not already been taken care of, including the rails and stiles of the doors. A little "tanning" didn't hurt, either, since it was a nice day on Saturday...

v-142.jpg

Late in the day, I manually applied some shellac to the backs of the doors to seal them. I may or may not put additional finish there.

v-143.jpg

Sunday morning, after my latté and a little forum checkup, I, umm....cleaned the shop up more than it's been cleaned in awhile...and then got everything ready to spray. There is a lot to do...and only so much space. But I keep all the paper packing that vendors like Lee Valley use to protect merchandise and it's perfect for "masking off" things like machinery when you need to spray finishes!

v-144.jpg

I first sprayed Zissner SealCoat on all the components to seal the oil and provide a nicer surface for later application of the water borne finish I will be using, with a light scuffing in between coats with 320 to remove any nubs, etc. This also adds a little more color and richness to the oiled cherry. I let that dry for awhile and then prepared to spray a recently introduced Target Coatings hybrid water borne alkyd varnish finish. Like other Target products, this one is low VOC and ready to spray after a bit of stirring to insure that "satin" stays "satin".

v-146.jpg

Since I was out of room in the shop for anything else to spray and the sun was out, I put up a work surface just outside and sprayed the cabinet backs out there. They dried fast and that freed up this space so I could move the drawer fronts outside, reducing the chance of unfortunate overspray on the other components still inside. (Those shiny spots are reflections...)

v-145.jpg
    --

Here are the doors at the end of the day. The color is great. But I think I'm going to spray one more coat later in the week or next weekend on these after a little spot sanding...a few too many nubs to make me happy.

v-147.jpg

The cabinets and the drawer fronts are just great.

v-148.jpg

And, of course, I had to install the cabinet backs after cleaning up from spraying.

v-149.jpg

Next weekend, I'll reassemble everything and post the "final" pictures, more or less, that will go in this thread until actual installation in the new master bath in a few months. I do still need to invent my door and drawer pulls, but my mind is already churning on an idea for that. They will be different than the pulls on the guest bath vanity and something I can carry for continuity into the cabinetry I'll be starting shortly for in the "toilet room" of the master bath. But they will be made from black walnut from off our property.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-16-2007 at 9:19 PM.
    --

They are closer to being installed...in the building! In fact, they go in on Monday. Sadly, I will miss that due to a business appointment, but I'll post pictures with them installed then. Boy, does my shop feel empty now...

cabs-7.jpg
    --

Final Installation Complete

Well...we are in the final throws of our addition project and I got all the knobs, etc., on the drawers and doors this weekend. So here are some final pictures of the cherry vanities in the master bath. Move-in day should (hopefully) be soon...

Oh, and yes, the offset of the bowl and mirror was planned that way...

mb-1.jpg mb-2.jpg mb-3.jpg mb-4.jpg

Oh, and just so the story is somewhat complete...here's the shower.

master-shower.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-20-2008 at 9:22 PM.
    --

Great job Jim! Thanks for sharing; I've enjoyed watching your progress over the months. I especially like the doors.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

WOW!! Jim, that looks fantastic!! I can't wait to (hopefully!!) see that in person one day soon. It must be VERY satisfying to see your hard work in its final state...looking great!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Oh, and yes, the offset of the bowl and mirror was planned that way... .....
    Oh, and just so the story is somewhat complete...here's the shower.
    Re: Mirrors.... I'm getting a crick in my neck just thinking about shaving with an arrangement like that. I don't get it, Jim.

Re: Shower... Niiiiiiiice. But... only one shower head?
    "It's Not About You."

Two shower heads, Art. Rainfall on the ceiling and a hand-held. "More" woukd have been nice, but the water supply and waste issues would have been large.

As to the mirror, there is no rule that says one's face has to be over the bowl when shaving...but I did think about it and determined that for the two or three times a week it happens, it's not a big deal. I may also put a mirror in the hower for this anyway.
    --